shape
carat
color
clarity

Best store for a new mattress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I need a King size bed asap.

Where should we look for good quality at a fair price? There are chain stores, mom and pop shops, and warehouse stores like Costco. There are so many options and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

TIA!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Not sure we hold the answer...have never pursued things like "sleep number beds," (though I have heard they can be technology problems), but rather, for the last 15 years or so, have found in the couple to several instances we need a replacement or extra bed...it making sense to go to one of the chain discount stores, like Mattress Discounters. I think you''ll find they frequently have a chart, helping line up mattress for mattress to competing brands. And, they dicker. Macy''s doesn''t. Phrases like..."what''s your best price," and being prepared to leave after asking the question are helpful. Typically, before you go, as often as not, they''ll write a number on a card, that they''ll honor for a period of time, and they do think about it overnight. More recently, I''m a little less sure of the science present about how low they will go...but I''ve found that if you indicate both a) sustained interest generally, as well as b) interest in value, a new manager for a larger store may come forward, along with a lower price. For some, this is a pain, but you can really be straightforward about it. However, it''s especially helpful if you''re genuinely not in a rush.

With respect to selecting the bed itself...that''s pretty personal. Extra coils, cushion tops, extra firm or not so firm...up to you.

Best wishes,

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you in the states? Is there a Bedmart near you? i used to mystery shop from them, and even before mystery shopping them, I still bought from them a couple of times, they seemed to have some fair prices knowledgeable staff.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a bed last week after much research and aggravation. There are just soooo many options. Well, I went to a couple of local stores and macy''s to try some matrresses out. I found the ones that I liked and looked them up online. I found the same mattress for $1500 less on mattressdirectonline.com
I was prepared to purchase a mattress from one of these stores if the pricing had been somewhat close, but with that much of a price difference, it was apparent that the salespeople were not honest.
The mattress sales people that I encountered (2 different men) were horrible. They did not really listen to what I was saying, they blatantly lied about certain mattresses, etc.
Thank goodness I don''t have to buy anther mattress for several years.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Denver Mattress Company, part of the Furniture Row complex of shops, is having a "No Interest for Four Years" sale going on right now.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My DH decided that he wanted a king sized bed for father''s day, so after trying out a bunch of mattresses, we ended up with the Sleep Number, and we love it. Our previous mattress was a Tempurpedic, which I loved but DH hated. We both are really enjoying the Sleep Number.

Good luck shopping!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I know it seems odd but we purchased a Sterns & Foster king from Bloomingdale''s, on major discount plus we opened up a charge card to save more money. After testing beds at Sleepy''s and other local shops, we decided that the Bloomingdale''s one had the right fit and feel that we were both happiest with. (And it''s less expensive than the Sterns & Fosters beds that his mother has, and more comfortable.) It works out to about $200/year which we thought was quite a good price for good sleep. We basically tried a large number of beds and stayed in each for at least 10 minutes.

If I recall, Consumer Reports had a really good issue out on mattresses with the caveat that unfortunately no bed sold at two chains will be the same since mattress manufacturers make different beds under different names (so 1.5 inches of foam in one bed and 2 inches in another.) It provided me with a good baseline education in the different materials, and then after that it''s based on the individual and what you like.

Good luck, I know this can be stressful but investing in a good mattress is possibly the only thing more worthwhile than a good diamond. You can never recover lost hours of sleep!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on what you''re after. Fair price? That will be determined by your requirements. I have an absolutely rotten back, so quality is paramount. For that I would heartily suggest Flobeds.com. Latex mattresses custom designed for you. Each side is customizable for each person. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. It was top of the line and I don''t think I could make it each day without it. A good night''s sleep is non-negotiable at our house. Anyway, check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results