shape
carat
color
clarity

best online sites for Pear shapes

handyy83

Rough_Rock
So that hunt continues...... I'm not sure if i'm just being picky (don't think i can be esp with a pear); but nothing is still fancying me.

Other than enchanted diamonds what other online vendors are good for me to look through?

The obvious must it needs are
1. actual photos
2. Assets.....

Idealscope images would work too as I can request the asset image for those that look promising.

Given how hit and miss the performance of a pear can be i perfer not to only work off of actual photos only. So many times the cut/ shape looks good and fine only to find that the assest is super disappointing.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Several months ago I searched like crazy online for a pear. I was only happy with Enchanted's (virtual) inventory ... and I eventually bought from them.

Edited to add: I just checked ED's pear inventory (you were looking for something around 1.5 carats without fluor, right?) and nothing jumped out at me as particularly wonderful.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a hard thing.

JA has stopped with ASETs for all their diamonds. So you could find a nice one and they may or may not be able to get you an ASET. Which would be a deal breaker for me.

So IMO your best option is to work with one vendor and have them call in stones for you. So I recommend either Good Old Gold or Brian Gavin. Brian and GOG have both found some nice pears and will provide you with an ASET.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1452134875|3971958 said:
JA has stopped with ASETs for all their diamonds.

Really? Wow, I thought that was just until January because they were crazy busy during the holidays!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
alamana|1452136881|3971978 said:
Gypsy|1452134875|3971958 said:
JA has stopped with ASETs for all their diamonds.

Really? Wow, I thought that was just until January because they were crazy busy during the holidays!

I mis-wrote that. James Allen expanded their operations and changed their policies sometime mid-last year. Some of their new facilities do not have ASET abilities. Nor is JA planning on expanding them to, nor will they ship those stones to locations where an ASET is possible. So some of their stones are in locations where they can get you an ASET. Some of their stones are not. So it's a crap-shoot whether or not any stone in particular will be in a location where they will ASET it.

I do not like the change. And have actually spoken to Jim Shultz about it. But... that's how it is. They feel their videos are good enough that they do not need to provide ASETs for all their facilities, or spend the money that process entails.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1452149586|3972049 said:
I mis-wrote that. James Allen expanded their operations and changed their policies sometime mid-last year. Some of their new facilities do not have ASET abilities. Nor is JA planning on expanding them to, nor will they ship those stones to locations where an ASET is possible. So some of their stones are in locations where they can get you an ASET. Some of their stones are not. So it's a crap-shoot whether or not any stone in particular will be in a location where they will ASET it.

That isn't good news about the ASETs. Or lack thereof. Sigh.

OP: Gypsy gave you some great options there. Some of my favorites: I really like the looks of that G/IF from ED, and it seems like a reasonable price given the high clarity grade, and it has no fluor, which I think you had specified? I like the 1.56 F/VVS2 as well, which is much less expensive but it's got that strong fluor I think you had objected to in the past. I also like the looks of the 1.57 D/VVS1, and it has only med blue fluor. And the 1.51 G/VS2 at JA is nice, but only if you don't mind the 1.6 ratio (I like my pears squat) -- that one's got no fluor, though, so it might be a good option for you?

handyy83

Rough_Rock
thank you both for the consistent recos.... I do appreciate it.

the two things I'm being most picky on is the bowtie and flor. Flor seems really hit or miss and I don't want to chance it.

the G/FI looks great however seems to have a seizable diagonal bowtie.

the 1.56FVV - looks great! bowties are at a min its just the stong blue flor....will chat with them to see if its an issues.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/P150-NEHNHA

i've been looking at this one too.....med flor so it seems like risky (probably just mind games). what do you think? the table seems a bit bigger but nothing I'm fussed on.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
handyy83|1452384312|3973436 said:
thank you both for the consistent recos.... I do appreciate it.

the two things I'm being most picky on is the bowtie and flor. Flor seems really hit or miss and I don't want to chance it.

the G/FI looks great however seems to have a seizable diagonal bowtie.

the 1.56FVV - looks great! bowties are at a min its just the stong blue flor....will chat with them to see if its an issues.

i've been looking at this one too.....med flor so it seems like risky (probably just mind games). what do you think? the table seems a bit bigger but nothing I'm fussed on.

Strong/med. Blue Fl. is not a bad thing....rarely does fl. cause a diamond to be cloudy or milky. It is a GOOD thing as in certain lighting it can give your stone a blue tint which gives it personality. You simply need to ask if it is causing any cloudiness or milkiness in the stone.

Go to briangavindiamonds.com and watch his videos on blue fl. very educational. He carries a line of ex. cut stones with blue fl. Most long time PSr's prefer blue fl. in their diamonds.

Good luck with your pear search ...they are lovely and give great finger coverage for their weight.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
handyy83|1452384312|3973436 said:

I like that stone.

It's almost a twin of my diamond. I have a 1.5 E/VVS2/Med Bl Fluor stone with very similar proportions and I love it. People stop me and ask me about it all the time. Chat them at ED and ask if they have any cutter's notes regarding the effect of the fluorescence. It is extremely unlikely that a stone with medium fluorescence would be overblue. I think the 60 percent table is fine. Better than fine.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone. I personally would like more light return at the rounded top there. But it's a pretty stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should decide you are good with at least medium fluorescence.

Both have positives and negatives. Can you ask their gemologist to pull them and compare them side by side and recommend one?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results