shape
carat
color
clarity

Best gift your DH/SO ever bought for you

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And what is the best gift you ever bought for him/her?

Or if you would rather, what is the best gift anyone ever bought for you?

A gift that he/she bought you on their very own without your input.

calvinandhobbessanta.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best gift I ever got for him: For our 5th anniversary (almost 10 years ago :shock:) I surprised him with a trip to the same resort we honeymooned at...and managed to keep it a secret. He was floored!

The best gift he ever got me: When we were still dating, he made me a big photo collage of all our pictures together. He’s in no way crafty so this gift means more to me than anything he’s ever bought me. It holds a place of honor in our home. :love:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without my input at all? There are only 2 things he's ever bought that I can remember without any input or heavy hinting from me. Of those 2 it'd have to be a digital camera when we first started dating. It allowed us to send photos more easily when our relationship was long distance.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH has surprised me with a couple of trips and those were fun. One was to Israeil, and the other was to San Francisco. He had that one planned to the details and was so fun. He bought tickets to Wicked, took me to the jewelry stores and awesome restaurants and had the bus and BART system down pat. I was so impressed by all he did.
He has bought me most of my jewelry. He has actually become really good at gifting. The first few years he was terrible and really hurt my feelings. He is the kind of man, that if I tell him something bothers me he changes and rarely does it again. I have to be careful what I say when I see something I like because he will go out and buy it for me. I don't want to own every pretty thing I see, sometimes I just want to admire it from a distance, lol.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several years ago, my DH surprised me with a sewing machine.
I always tell him, it was the best present ever. I had been wanting one, but I never suspected that he would go to the sewing store without my knowledge.

Yes, I'm all about jewelry, but I am picky and I don't want him surprising me with jewelry that I don't like, you know what I mean?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This doesn’t sound thoughtful but it is if you know me. I had my big birthday this year. My husband gave me a large sum of money to buy whatever I want with it. He loves to see me looking at diamonds online and oohing and ahhing over them. He wanted me to upgrade.I could have bought a new diamond and kept Libby..or trade her in and get a huge rock..to me..anyway.....I didn’t upgrade...I bought whatever I wanted all year without feeling guilty...I did make some mistakes...and I did question..and still do whether I should have upgraded my diamond...but the fun of trying to decide what to get was the best fun ever. I still have some money left over but not enough to really upgrade...and still undecided about that. I just love Libby so if I did I would have to upgrade through Whiteflash and keep her...I’m not getting a present like that again.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easy! This super automatic espresso machine. LOVE it! Grinds, presses the perfect cup, then disposes the grounds, in a single push of a button! 20191103_093317.jpg
Ahhh. Blue willow! And I love the Toby shaker! It's great that you use them!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A book my husband had made for me one Mother’s Day. It was all pictures with funny captions of and about our furbaby. My husband has bought me many beautiful gifts thru the years but that book meant the most to me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine's great with gifts - he's had so many winners over the years!! Usually featuring the furbabies :bigsmile: One of the best - he was in grad school on the west coast and I was finishing undergrad back east. The first time I flew out to see him he greeted me at the airport with a bear in a wedding dress and precious little chrome diopside studs stuck in its ears. You can just see one in its left ear - on the right side of the photo - in this pic... I still love the bear and I still wear the studs ::)

My hair was so black back then!! ;(

1572799660513.png

Bear2.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pair of super-frumpy Nike slip-on sneakers for Valentine's Day, while we were engaged. I wore them for the next 13 years until they fell apart. They were stunningly ugly but really practical and COMFY. They came in handy while I was raising babies (and didn't have enough hands to lace up my shoes). Not a conventionally romantic gift....but yet, thoughtful and romantic in its own way!

Also, I love the hand-drawn birthday and anniversary cards he makes for me every year. Sometimes he'll glue on a picture of our kids when they were little...gets me every time. :kiss2:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, I have to say it was my mom. Everyone knows how crazy I am about gems and jewelry yet I rarely ever got one as a gift. My mom goes flea market shopping and is a pro at it and one time I was visiting she said to me excitedly and I found a real Swarovski.

I was like oh now what do I do? (Yuck!) Do I start lecturing and educating her? How not nice is that? So she starts pulling out the piece and I am just like peeking over for a second and start walking towards the collier she was holding and say :that’s not Swarovski!

Of course she says but yes it is it was in a box. I say mom no, this is actually real as in real aquas... can I see? It is actually a 350 ct aqua collier in 18k gold with diamonds. I about died that moment I think. They are not perfect but amazing and it is a signed designer piece.

After I got it I was wearing it for months nonstop even though it is quite heavy. My mom is really surprising at times I have to say and I also have to say that I do not mind it at all!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have to say it was my mom. Everyone knows how crazy I am about gems and jewelry yet I rarely ever got one as a gift. My mom goes flea market shopping and is a pro at it and one time I was visiting she said to me excitedly and I found a real Swarovski.

I was like oh now what do I do? (Yuck!) Do I start lecturing and educating her? How not nice is that? So she starts pulling out the piece and I am just like peeking over for a second and start walking towards the collier she was holding and say :that’s not Swarovski!

Of course she says but yes it is it was in a box. I say mom no, this is actually real as in real aquas... can I see? It is actually a 350 ct aqua collier in 18k gold with diamonds. I about died that moment I think. They are not perfect but amazing and it is a signed designer piece.

After I got it I was wearing it for months nonstop even though it is quite heavy. My mom is really surprising at times I have to say and I also have to say that I do not mind it at all!
How can you tell us about this and not include a photo????
Darling, please............a photo!

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know! It kills me sometimes too not being able to share but I would rather not upset Ella because I am not allowed to post pix as trade. But I love to share a personal story with you guys anyway!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Weeeelllll, the only thing my DH has ever bought me--was my emerald cross. He gifted it to me after our son was born and I was speechless. And gobsmacked. It is very precious to me not because of it's value, but because he thoughtfully bought me something in which I had no say. (I usually buy my own gifts....) To this day thinking about it, I still feel the emotion of the surprise.

DH draws beautifully and has made cards over the years...and I've kept every one of them. And those silly toys from McDonalds.:bigsmile:(he knows I like Minions)

cheers--Sharon

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a doubt the best gift I ever bought my DH was a little killer rabbit. He loves Monty Python movies and is constantly quoting the Holy Grail. We went to a showing of Spamalot around Thanksgiving and they had a killer rabbit puppet which made me think of getting him something like that. I put it on top of his Christmas stocking. That little rabbit has traveled many, many miles. He went to Uganda, Ethiopia, was held by a Serbian solider after a full blown military parade that Putin attended and has had many other adventures.

Here he is wearing some of my RHR. Trust me he isn't this white anymore; poor guy is pretty gray now.

KR Bling.jpg

My best present from my DH wasn't really something he bought; he painted pictures of some of our assorted killer rabbits (yes we have about 10 now) and some of my favorite teddy bears.

1572816023918.png

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal and @KristyDarling , My FIL made a few cards for my MIL’s birthday when their kids were young. My FIL passed away years ago. When my MIL passed away we found the cards. They meant so much to my husband and his brothers. Priceless. I hope someday your children cherish your cards.

I love your paintings @marcy. Marty is talented!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well he didnt cost money and he was kinda 2nd hand but Gary gave me Tinky
my very first kitty and soul mate
he was our neighbour's kitty - and he was much loved but he wasn't getting on too well with his adopted brother and his famiky were moving and the neighbour knew how nuch i lived him

James asked Gary if we would like him and thank goodness he said yes

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A book my husband had made for me one Mother’s Day. It was all pictures with funny captions of and about our furbaby. My husband has bought me many beautiful gifts thru the years but that book meant the most to me.
I love this @Calliecake!
Without a doubt the best gift I ever bought my DH was a little killer rabbit. He loves Monty Python movies and is constantly quoting the Holy Grail. We went to a showing of Spamalot around Thanksgiving and they had a killer rabbit puppet which made me think of getting him something like that. I put it on top of his Christmas stocking. That little rabbit has traveled many, many miles. He went to Uganda, Ethiopia, was held by a Serbian solider after a full blown military parade that Putin attended and has had many other adventures.

Here he is wearing some of my RHR. Trust me he isn't this white anymore; poor guy is pretty gray now.

KR Bling.jpg

My best present from my DH wasn't really something he bought; he painted pictures of some of our assorted killer rabbits (yes we have about 10 now) and some of my favorite teddy bears.

1572816023918.png
@marcy This is adorable!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love hearing everyone's answers.

My DH then boyfriend bought me a trip to Lisbon. We stayed in a stunning little boutique hotel. Best present ever!

@RosieR wow that is a great gift! And so romantic too.

The best gift I ever got for him: For our 5th anniversary (almost 10 years ago :shock:) I surprised him with a trip to the same resort we honeymooned at...and managed to keep it a secret. He was floored!

The best gift he ever got me: When we were still dating, he made me a big photo collage of all our pictures together. He’s in no way crafty so this gift means more to me than anything he’s ever bought me. It holds a place of honor in our home. :love:

Aww love that. It's incredibly meaningful when something is created for us that holds such special memories.:love: And how romantic that surprise trip is to your honeymoon spot. Big puffy heart that gift.

Without my input at all? There are only 2 things he's ever bought that I can remember without any input or heavy hinting from me. Of those 2 it'd have to be a digital camera when we first started dating. It allowed us to send photos more easily when our relationship was long distance.

That's a sweet gift and one that keeps giving.

Very sweet.

Mine's great with gifts - he's had so many winners over the years!! Usually featuring the furbabies :bigsmile: One of the best - he was in grad school on the west coast and I was finishing undergrad back east. The first time I flew out to see him he greeted me at the airport with a bear in a wedding dress and precious little chrome diopside studs stuck in its ears. You can just see one in its left ear - on the right side of the photo - in this pic... I still love the bear and I still wear the studs ::)

So pretty. And clever too. Love it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Weeeelllll, the only thing my DH has ever bought me--was my emerald cross. He gifted it to me after our son was born and I was speechless. And gobsmacked. It is very precious to me not because of it's value, but because he thoughtfully bought me something in which I had no say. (I usually buy my own gifts....) To this day thinking about it, I still feel the emotion of the surprise.

DH draws beautifully and has made cards over the years...and I've kept every one of them. And those silly toys from McDonalds.:bigsmile:(he knows I like Minions)

cheers--Sharon

That's such a special and thoughtful gift. :love: I can see why it makes you emotional still. And homemade cards. LOVE that. I would have saved every single card too. Heck I saved every card and note my dh ever wrote me and most of those were not homemade.

KR Bling.jpg

1572816023918.png

Haha you know I love those gifts Marcy. A great sense of humor is what makes a strong marriage an incredible marriage and you guys have that. And hehe most of oldsters are getting a bit gray so it happens to the best of us lol. That bunny still looks darn good. Especially with your bling to brighten him up.

well he didnt cost money and he was kinda 2nd hand but Gary gave me Tinky
my very first kitty and soul mate
he was our neighbour's kitty - and he was much loved but he wasn't getting on too well with his adopted brother and his famiky were moving and the neighbour knew how nuch i lived him

James asked Gary if we would like him and thank goodness he said yes

Those are often the very best gifts. The ones that don't cost money per se but come from love and bring love into our home. That's a wonderful gift. Soulmates don't come around very often. Gary did good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a doubt I would have to say my very best gift was the gift my parents gave both my sister and me. Our education. They paid for college and graduate school for both of us. Not easily done because my dad did not make lots of money. My mom (who has a bachelor of fine arts from Pratt) was a stay at home mom and when my sister went to HS my mom earned her teaching degree. She wanted to do this so she could earn the money to put us through school so we wouldn't have to get a job and attend college. The greatest gift of all allowing us to attend school without worrying about paying for it. And we went to the second most expensive college in the country at the time. I am so grateful to this day and also get emotional thinking about what my parents scarified for my sister and me. Not just by giving us the gift of education but with everything they ever did for us.

The best gift my DH ever gave me would have to be TIVO. LOL. He got it for me in 1999 before I ever heard of TIVO (it was relatively new at the time) and wow. It blew me away. I know that doesn't sound romantic but it was the best gift he ever got me without my input and very romantic since he really knew me to know how much I would love it.

But another great gift and well if I am being honest the very best gift he got me was being A OK to live with my cats when we got married. He was extremely allergic and just sucked it up and got immunotherapy on a weekly basis for years and then that became a monthly basis for over a decade. He did it because he loves me and then of course he came to really love the cats. That was/is probably the most incredible gift he could ever give me. The one of unconditional love and wanting to make me happy. And one that I of course give to him.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww! I love this. I wish you could share with everyone here. But girl, send the photos my way pretty please. What an amazing gift. :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pair of super-frumpy Nike slip-on sneakers for Valentine's Day, while we were engaged. I wore them for the next 13 years until they fell apart. They were stunningly ugly but really practical and COMFY. They came in handy while I was raising babies (and didn't have enough hands to lace up my shoes). Not a conventionally romantic gift....but yet, thoughtful and romantic in its own way!

Also, I love the hand-drawn birthday and anniversary cards he makes for me every year. Sometimes he'll glue on a picture of our kids when they were little...gets me every time. :kiss2:

Haha the gift of comfort is priceless and shows he really knows you. I agree it is very romantic!

And love homemade cards. Super sweet and thoughtful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easy! This super automatic espresso machine. LOVE it! Grinds, presses the perfect cup, then disposes the grounds, in a single push of a button! 20191103_093317.jpg

Gorgeous and functional. Perfect gift. I could use some espresso right this moment. Having to get up at 3:30 AM and head into the city for an appointment. Need more coffee and espresso would be perfect. Sigh. Great gift @Gussie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This doesn’t sound thoughtful but it is if you know me. I had my big birthday this year. My husband gave me a large sum of money to buy whatever I want with it. He loves to see me looking at diamonds online and oohing and ahhing over them. He wanted me to upgrade.I could have bought a new diamond and kept Libby..or trade her in and get a huge rock..to me..anyway.....I didn’t upgrade...I bought whatever I wanted all year without feeling guilty...I did make some mistakes...and I did question..and still do whether I should have upgraded my diamond...but the fun of trying to decide what to get was the best fun ever. I still have some money left over but not enough to really upgrade...and still undecided about that. I just love Libby so if I did I would have to upgrade through Whiteflash and keep her...I’m not getting a present like that again.

It sounds like a super gift. Very thoughtful and romantic because your dh really knows you. And happy birthday again @Mamabean! And a large sum of money is always the right gift IMO. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several years ago, my DH surprised me with a sewing machine.
I always tell him, it was the best present ever. I had been wanting one, but I never suspected that he would go to the sewing store without my knowledge.

Yes, I'm all about jewelry, but I am picky and I don't want him surprising me with jewelry that I don't like, you know what I mean?

That's a great gift. I got my dh a sewing machine (with his input however) and he makes such wonderful things with it. It's a great gift and how thoughtful of your dh to research it and get it for you as a surprise. So sweet and romantic @stracci2000 !

And exactly re the jewelry. I do not allow my dh to purchase jewelry for me without my input anymore. He did it before we got married and it was fine then but as I refined my bling taste so did my need to choose my paw jewelry. What makes it special is our dhs are not control freaks and are A OK with us choosing our own jewelry to buy and wear. They want us to be happy and that is what matters. Confident and thoughtful men who love us. That rocks.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH has surprised me with a couple of trips and those were fun. One was to Israeil, and the other was to San Francisco. He had that one planned to the details and was so fun. He bought tickets to Wicked, took me to the jewelry stores and awesome restaurants and had the bus and BART system down pat. I was so impressed by all he did.
He has bought me most of my jewelry. He has actually become really good at gifting. The first few years he was terrible and really hurt my feelings. He is the kind of man, that if I tell him something bothers me he changes and rarely does it again. I have to be careful what I say when I see something I like because he will go out and buy it for me. I don't want to own every pretty thing I see, sometimes I just want to admire it from a distance, lol.

What a kind and thoughtful dh and what wonderful gifts. Planning trips are hard work and how wonderful he took care of all those details. Re the bling- he listens to you and that is priceless. I know lots of men who don't really hear what their wives say so the fact that your dh does is very special. He wants to make you happy and you cannot put a price on that. True love.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a doubt I would have to say my very best gift was the gift my parents gave both my sister and me. Our education. They paid for college and graduate school for both of us. Not easily done because my dad did not make lots of money. My mom (who has a bachelor of fine arts from Pratt) was a stay at home mom and when my sister went to HS my mom earned her teaching degree. She wanted to do this so she could earn the money to put us through school so we wouldn't have to get a job and attend college. The greatest gift of all allowing us to attend school without worrying about paying for it. And we went to the second most expensive college in the country at the time. I am so grateful to this day and also get emotional thinking about what my parents scarified for my sister and me. Not just by giving us the gift of education but with everything they ever did for us.
Aww, missy I feel the same way about my parents. They gave me the gift of a great, warm home and beloved childhood. Unconditional love, really and truly and on top of that a very empathetic and liberal and educated view of the world. Plus my education. I've always loved them and appreciated all they've done for us, but I understand more and more how truly blessed we were and still are.

My DH is my soul mate and his best material gift was a trip around the world for my graduation. 6weeks of adventure.
Bling wise I'm firmly in the "I'll tell you where to wire the money" camp.... The colour of the ribbon is surprise enough for me..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results