shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Down Comforter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I'm looking for a new down comforter in oversized King. Do you have one that you LOVE? I ordered one and, though it's 600+ fill and baffle box, the darn thing is just not fluffy! Maybe it has to do with the fill quality or the fabric...don't know. I really want a fluffy look. I'm looking at new furniture (my favorite is a sleigh bed) and linens and will likely cover the comforter in a custom-made duvet cover.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I purchased my down comforter at the Company Store about 10 or so years ago. I got one of the medium weight ones and I find it pretty fluffy. It does settle after a bit but only needs to be shaken up to resume its fluffiness.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
overstock baby! i always get ours from there, i haven't paid full price in years. you can get some great deals on them and they typically have a ton of options, depending on what you like. i like striped sateen ones so that i can choose to put a cover on it or not and have it still look cute on the bed. typically i get a 500ish fill power and something like i think a 20ish weight (it's been a while since we bought our last one, we're almost due for another...i replace them like every 3 years)... because greg gets really hot but i really like baffled box so that it doesn't shift. oh also overstock has a ton of reviews on stuff like this so people will say if they liked it, why or why not, and fluffiness and smell and things like that are huge on there.

sometimes you have to give it about a few days to puff up to max fluffiness, when did you get it?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 1:40:29 PM
Author: Kismet
I purchased my down comforter at the Company Store about 10 or so years ago. I got one of the medium weight ones and I find it pretty fluffy. It does settle after a bit but only needs to be shaken up to resume its fluffiness.

I second the company store! I have two from them and LOVE them. They come in different weights (summer, fall, winter, spring) and colors. Also they have extra material/string at the corners so you can tie the duvet to it (helps it stay in place). They have sales ALL the time.

ETA: they also come in "over size"

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
While I love The Company Store and have bought from them a lot
if you want superb quality, try Dewoolfson. www.dewoolfsonlinens.com
They are not cheap, but you get the very best.

I have bought down pillows from them and they are fantastic.
Also I had an e-mail from Horchow today that their down products
are on sale.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I have just purchased silk comforter.I had wool before that.I did use down years ago and found wool and silk better.Its light, coozy and no cold air spots.It stays put and does not move around.I prefer those to down any time.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I adore down comforters, we have one on every bed in the house, plus a couple of backup cheapies that we got from overstock. My advice is go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond or another home store, and FEEL the different down comforters in person. There is such a huge difference in loft and softness between different brands. My best comforter yet I paid $350 for at BB&B and is is the softest down comforter with the BEST loft (looks so huge and fluffy, just miles of high piled down on the bed), and is not super heavy weight.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Mara - Why do you replace them every 3 years? I''ve had the same one since 1996! I wash it occasionally but usually just keep it in a duvet and fluff it every few days. We''re registering for a king size comforter, but I will keep the queen one in the closet for future use. Am I missing something that I should know? Or do you just like fresh ones?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I just got the comforter yesterday so maybe I should give it time to fluff. It''s a Pacific Coast. I''ve been loving my old Pacific Coast for a number of years now. After I put it on the bed, I also thought that maybe I should look into an oversize one, because I have one of the pillowtop on both sides mattresses and it''s really deep. I''ve been living with a queen size comforter on a king size mattress and thought the king size would hang down much lower than the queen, but it doesn''t!

I''ve had mixed success in general at overstock, but I''m willing to look. I bought great 800 count sateen sheets there a few years ago...love them. I also bought a duvet cover and two shams and found that the shams were mixed dye lots. I''ve lived with it, but it''s not cool.

I looked at dewoolfson. Are they the ones with the eiderdown too? Those are so outrageous! :) I''m sure The Company Store is great. As always, I''m looking for a decent deal, especially this time of year. The one I bought was on sale at Macy''s. I despise that store in general and won''t go in it if I don''t have to, but this was a great price online.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Lindsay,

What brand/style do you have? I agree that I should probably go feel them instead of hoping by mail. The one I have also came from BBB and has been great for years. I''ve washed it with good results. The fabric is so soft.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
This is what I bought and it seemed like a great deal. I''ll give a few days and see if it fluffs. :)

Pacific Coast Feather "5 Star" Comforter, King, 104x89"
Transform your bedroom into a five-star suite with this king comforter from Pacific Coast® Feather. Made with specially woven Barrier Weave™ fabric that prevents down from sneaking out. The True Baffle Box construction, combined with Pacific Coast®''s Hyperclean® down, will keep allergies away and let you sleep more comfortably. Comfort Lock® Border keeps the down on top of the bed where you need warmth most. This comforter has a 30 Night Comfort Guarantee, as well as a 10 year limited warranty.

* Dry clean only
* Made in USA of imported materials
* Request warranty information
* 600 fill power
* Allergy Free Warranty
* Hyperclean down fill

Be the first to write a review.
Product Reviews

Reg. $480.00
Sale $199.99

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have to dry clean mine from The Company Store (just in case that is something you are looking for).

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
I love my yellow one from the Company Store

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sumbride, it just seems like after a few years they get flat! and that drives me nuts. i did read that the down does eventually break down, so i always just figured that when it got flat and wasn't puffy anymore even after a wash and dry that it was time to be retired!! also the deals on them are so fabulous online that it's not a big deal to get a new one every 3-4 years or something. we have our old one on our guest bed right now. i am going to start looking for a new one for our master bed probably soon. we have had it 4 years this jan!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
The easiest way to fluff up a down comforter is to put it in the dryer with a couple of clean tennis balls. It will make a lot of noise, but when you take your comforter out, it will be nice and fluffy again. Works with down coats/vests too.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Last night I put the new comforter over the old one to measure. They looked so close, but the new one was not larger. I found the measurements on the tags and, as it turns out, the old comforter (which I thought was a queen as it's too small for my mattress) is actually a bit bigger all the way around than the NEW King comforter! Same brand, a few years later. Odd!

Soooo...it looks like the new comforter is going back to Macy's and I'll have to look for one that is oversize that I like.

Thanks for all your input. The Company Store is having a sale on some comforters. I checked out Horchow and their prices, even on sale, are higher by a lot than what I paid for a better version of the same Pacific comforter at Macy's.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 10:25:17 PM
Author: Mara
sumbride, it just seems like after a few years they get flat! and that drives me nuts. i did read that the down does eventually break down, so i always just figured that when it got flat and wasn''t puffy anymore even after a wash and dry that it was time to be retired!! also the deals on them are so fabulous online that it''s not a big deal to get a new one every 3-4 years or something. we have our old one on our guest bed right now. i am going to start looking for a new one for our master bed probably soon. we have had it 4 years this jan!
Actually, down does not break down very easily or quickly at all. It is one of the most durable and long lasting insulation material out there. A down sleeping bag will last 20 or more years without losing any insulating properties while synthetic filled sleeping bags will only last a few years. But, I do second Mara''s suggestion of using overstock.com for down bags . . . they have some FABULOUS deals, just read the fine print on the number of ounces of fill, down quality and percentage.

The tennis ball idea when drying your comforter works very well and also when buying your down bag, check to see how much of it is true white goose down versus goose feathers. Usually they give you a percentage on the down versus feathers.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 10:25:17 PM
Author: Mara
sumbride, it just seems like after a few years they get flat! and that drives me nuts. i did read that the down does eventually break down, so i always just figured that when it got flat and wasn''t puffy anymore even after a wash and dry that it was time to be retired!! also the deals on them are so fabulous online that it''s not a big deal to get a new one every 3-4 years or something. we have our old one on our guest bed right now. i am going to start looking for a new one for our master bed probably soon. we have had it 4 years this jan!

Hmm.... I wonder if it''s the fill capacity? My comforter was a gift from my parents when I was a freshman in college so I can''t remember the numbers on it now. They were so sneaky... left the house early one morning to go to the early-bird sale (so not like them!) and bought one for each of their "kids" (I was the youngest, at 18). I imagine they must have been really expensive as they were so proud of them, and they must have been because mine is definitely still in great shape. very fluffy, 11 years later. The cover has some stains on it, but it''s still solid... no leakage of down, and the down itself still puffs nicely. There was a time I had to wash it every couple of days because my cat was sick, but it''s recovered. The ONLY reason we registered for a new one is that I''m tired of FI stealing it so figured a king would be better.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Also getting a comforter with the highest thread count you can afford will help prevent leakage. Also check the ounces of fill or loft size.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered this one from The Company Store...medium warmth/oversize...king, 118x98" 44oz.

I found a coupon code and saved $79.80. It has a lifetime guarantee so it could be that this is one of those times when you get what you pay for!

Legends® Damask Supersize
or Oversized Down Comforter
• Hungarian White Goose Down
• Available in Oversized
• 400-Thread Count Damask Stripe Cover
• Available in 4 Weights

Silky, 400-thread count cotton damask cover has a subtle stripe and is filled with our ultimate 600-650 fill power Hungarian White Goose Down. Generous 15" square baffles allow optimum loft and minimum shifting. Choose Supersize or our new luxurious Oversized dimensions. Both are perfect for today''s extra deep mattresses. Made in La Crosse, WI, of fine imported materials. Dry clean. Available in White and Ivory.This item is covered by our Lifetime Guarantee

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
just wondering if anyone considered Costco down duvets? They are 600 fill power 100% cotton 370 thread-count.How would this compare to others? Costco has exeptional return policy.We are expecting guests in a little while and I personaly use silk , but was going to get down for guest bed.Is Costco ( Kirkland brand) comparable to the one you mentioned?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have three down comforters. One heavy winter weight from the Company store, one Kirkland down comforter, more year round weight... and one from Macy''s... don''t recall the brand just now.

The company store and Kirkland are better than the Macy''s. The company store''s is the one that was maintained its "fluffy" the best. But the kirkland is softer and snugglier. Neither the Company store of the Kirkland shed at all.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 2:15:51 PM
Author: lawmax
I ordered this one from The Company Store...medium warmth/oversize...king, 118x98'' 44oz.

I found a coupon code and saved $79.80. It has a lifetime guarantee so it could be that this is one of those times when you get what you pay for!

Legends® Damask Supersize

or Oversized Down Comforter

• Hungarian White Goose Down

• Available in Oversized

• 400-Thread Count Damask Stripe Cover

• Available in 4 Weights

Silky, 400-thread count cotton damask cover has a subtle stripe and is filled with our ultimate 600-650 fill power Hungarian White Goose Down. Generous 15'' square baffles allow optimum loft and minimum shifting. Choose Supersize or our new luxurious Oversized dimensions. Both are perfect for today''s extra deep mattresses. Made in La Crosse, WI, of fine imported materials. Dry clean. Available in White and Ivory.This item is covered by our Lifetime Guarantee

I think you will be really happy with it! If not I am sure they have a good return policy.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second (or third) The Company Store. I like whatever fabric they use, durable enough to keep the down in. My mother bought me one for college and it lasted 10 years. I also like their down pillows, they have two for $59 deal that I use whenever I need new pillows.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll let you know how it is when it gets here. They only have a couple of duvet covers for the oversize so I think I will end up going the custom route, but we''ll see.

BTW, The Company Store is having a sale on some items now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results