shape
carat
color
clarity

best dairy/soy free ice cream alternative?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all.
I'm allergic to soy and recently had to cut all dairy out of my diet because my nursing baby has allergic colitis. The one thing I really miss is ice cream. It has always been my go-to comfort food. I tried a flavor of almond dream and one of rice dream, but they just taste weird and gritty. So, does anyone out there have another suggestion for a tasty, soy free, dairy free ice cream alternative?
Thanks!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
They sell Lactose-Free ice cream made by Breyer's. I don't know if it's shipped beyond California but other companies might make it, too. It's vanilla but can be slightly softened and goodies added. There's no difference in the taste.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about Rice Dream? I haven't tried it but that frozen mochi they have at Whole Foods looks interesting too.

Maybe sorbet?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Never mind . It has powdered milk. Maybe you'll have to stick with sorbet. I know how hard it can be with diet. I can only eat small amounts of wheat ( like a few of cars crackers a week), and I almost never eat dairy. I had some wheat free pizza with cheese about a months ago before hat it had been many months.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Coconut Dream makes ice cream using coconut milk. I like it better than almond milk ice cream.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I second coconut dream! I like it better than regular ice cream.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the coconut dream suggestion! I've already found two flavors that I can safely eat AND taste good.

albertcool

Rough_Rock
after watching this thread i am tempting to eat ice cream :)

Tezaurus

Rough_Rock
It's called Tomberlies!!
You can buy it in San Diego or order it online. It will totally make you broke but the strawberry flavor is worth it. They make it with cashews, coconut and agave. It really tastes just like real creamy dairy ice cream. I've tried a few different types of raw vegan ice cream that were okay but this one is really, really amazing...

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
have you tried frozen bananas?
freeze them, (peeled and sliced) throw them in the blender with diary free chocolate chips, coconut milk, cocoa powder, PB or plain
and it's pretty darn good
I also made one the other day coconut milk, pumpkin puree, spices, and maple syrup. threw it in my ice cream maker GOOOD

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results