shape
carat
color
clarity

Besides jewelry what are your other expensive hobbies?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Camera gear, musical instruments, gear for recording and performing music, binoculars, watercolor paint brushes, high-carbon hand-forged Japanese kitchen knives

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1457773570|4003812 said:
Camera gear, musical instruments, gear for recording and performing music, binoculars, watercolor paint brushes, high-carbon hand-forged Japanese kitchen knives
Pics?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Camping is really not that expensive, once I have all the gears.

However, I recently bought a new tent, a cotton canvas Dutch Pyramid made in The Netherlands. Hopefully this will last for a few years. :))

As part of my camping gears, I needed a trailer and for a tow bar/hitch to be fitted to my car as she is too small to carry everything back in 2012.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does eating out at gourmet restaurants and going to theatre count?

DK :))

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dog. She is a bird dog (English setter) so we bought a cabin in the mountains to have a better training terrain with more birds, lol.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Music and fishing, the latter has had over half a million dollars invested into it by my father and I. We're obsessed beyond help!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our tandeming (bicyling on a tandem) can be expensive.

Woodworking is an expensive hobby of my dh's. As is his audiophile hobby. Expensive equipment.

Helping rescue animals adds up too. But that is our most worthwhile hobby though I am not sure I would call it a hobby. More of a passion just like all the above hobbies. Tandeming and woodworking (dh) are more than hobbies to us and so is working with and helping rescue animals.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sewing and quilting. I just got my new sewing machine yesterday. She's a Singer Featherweight 221, made in 1940 :shock: and she works great! I also have another machine I bought in November which wasn't cheap either. I hesitate to think how much I've spent over the years on fabric and notions. I think I'm good with machines now, so other than servicing (cleaning etc) I should be good....maybe.. :Up_to_something: I think they're like jewelry, just "need one more".. :lol: :twirl: Here's the pic of Charlotte... charlotte_2.jpg charlotte.jpg

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Travel.
We are in our late 50's and have worked hard and been disciplined savers.
Now we are enjoying delayed gratification!
Since January we have been to Prague, Mexico and taking youngest child and friend to Kauai in 2 weeks. Nevis in October. Will probably be in Florida in May and have yet to plan trips for November/December.

We don't eat out much, not into clothes or cars, and are pretty frugal for the most part so this is something we planned for and agree on as a luxury.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any other expensive hobbies at all.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travel is the only other thing I really spend money on. Adds up quick!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travel. We want to see as much of the world as we can before our bodies give out.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Westies. Finn is my avatar, he's had knee surgery, allergy immunotherapy and I pay exorbitant amounts of money in order that he never be kenneled or boarded. Maggie, she's right at $30,000. Two hip replacements and a knee surgery in Houston, Texas; allergy immunotherapy; no kenneling or boarding. Both when injured have had laser therapy (well worth it, great results), acupuncture (great results also), chiropractic massage (both loved it), and I used to have them groomed regularly before I learned to do it myself. Dentistry every 2 years or as needed. They are the best 'things' that ever happened to me and my DH. I feed them organic bison, lamb, ground sirloin, the occasional steak, organic pump and Orijen kibble.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1457810023|4004030 said:
The Westies. Finn is my avatar, he's had knee surgery, allergy immunotherapy and I pay exorbitant amounts of money in order that he never be kenneled or boarded. Maggie, she's right at $30,000. Two hip replacements and a knee surgery in Houston, Texas; allergy immunotherapy; no kenneling or boarding. Both when injured have had laser therapy (well worth it, great results), acupuncture (great results also), chiropractic massage (both loved it), and I used to have them groomed regularly before I learned to do it myself. Dentistry every 2 years or as needed. They are the best 'things' that ever happened to me and my DH. I feed them organic bison, lamb, ground sirloin, the occasional steak, organic pump and Orijen kibble.

I'm completely crazy about my dog too :angel: She is my little baby so I understand you completely! Best investment ever :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
:love: designer shoes :love:
....and designer handbags :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian|1457780577|4003822 said:
My dog. She is a bird dog (English setter) so we bought a cabin in the mountains to have a better training terrain with more birds, lol.
She can fly?.. :Up_to_something: pics please :!:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wine, travel and eating at interesting places.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Live music and travel.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1457789976|4003867 said:
Sewing and quilting. I just got my new sewing machine yesterday. She's a Singer Featherweight 221, made in 1940 :shock: and she works great! I also have another machine I bought in November which wasn't cheap either. I hesitate to think how much I've spent over the years on fabric and notions. I think I'm good with machines now, so other than servicing (cleaning etc) I should be good....maybe.. :Up_to_something: I think they're like jewelry, just "need one more".. :lol: :twirl: Here's the pic of Charlotte... charlotte_2.jpg charlotte.jpg
Why are these older sewing machine so expensive?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eating like a queen, high end small leather goods and bags, oh and makeup because I am g'damn hoarder.

However I am trying this year to purge my house and will likely only buy one bag and one SLG if that, because I am pretty content with my wallet and my purse.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travel & horses & a constant need for construction projects.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An unfortunate fascination with Hermes bags and scarves.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makeup is probably the only other "expensive" hobby of mine - I prefer to use Tom Ford and it costs a bomb! :oops:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hunting, fishing, photography, (Just signed up for Photoshop World in July), and eating out with my lovely lady.

I was going to say continuing education, but, if you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

(One of my favorite sayings by a mentor of mine many many years ago.)

Wink

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter. A friend told me, 'one is a hobby and two is parenting.' :)

More seriously, outdoor activity gear, cross country skis, mountain bikes, and jogging/trailer stroller. But all these items are bought second hand - I save so much $$$$$ doing that. And they last for years. Totally worth it to enjoy the great outdoors year round.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
maccers|1457834758|4004209 said:
My daughter. A friend told me, 'one is a hobby and two is parenting.' :)

:lol: How about twins?

I was going to say special needs kids- holy moly, there is nothing we spend more money on than special foods, clothes, therapies etc etc. The most expensive, but definitely most rewarding hobby we have. :)

Other than that- pieces of art and art supplies, vintage cocktail making, and family trips. I can be very frugal, until I get bitten by some interest, and then...

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shoes, definitely. Nothing too expensive or high-end, but I have a lot. I also have gotten into home decor lately and we are spending time and money revitalizing our space. It sure adds up!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is eating out considered a hobby?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're foodies.

Fortunately we are both good cooks so eating out is something we have REALLY cut back on a lot, which helps. But our grocery bills are higher than average because we buy nice quality stuff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results