Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Besides jewelry what are your other expensive hobbies?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,518
:))
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,163
Camera gear, musical instruments, gear for recording and performing music, binoculars, watercolor paint brushes, high-carbon hand-forged Japanese kitchen knives
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,518
kenny|1457773570|4003812 said:
Camera gear, musical instruments, gear for recording and performing music, binoculars, watercolor paint brushes, high-carbon hand-forged Japanese kitchen knives
Pics?
 

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
5,630
Camping is really not that expensive, once I have all the gears.

However, I recently bought a new tent, a cotton canvas Dutch Pyramid made in The Netherlands. Hopefully this will last for a few years. :))

As part of my camping gears, I needed a trailer and for a tow bar/hitch to be fitted to my car as she is too small to carry everything back in 2012.

DK :))
 

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
5,630
Does eating out at gourmet restaurants and going to theatre count?

DK :))
 

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
2,036
My dog. She is a bird dog (English setter) so we bought a cabin in the mountains to have a better training terrain with more birds, lol.
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,809
Music and fishing, the latter has had over half a million dollars invested into it by my father and I. We're obsessed beyond help!!
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
33,914
Our tandeming (bicyling on a tandem) can be expensive.

Woodworking is an expensive hobby of my dh's. As is his audiophile hobby. Expensive equipment.

Helping rescue animals adds up too. But that is our most worthwhile hobby though I am not sure I would call it a hobby. More of a passion just like all the above hobbies. Tandeming and woodworking (dh) are more than hobbies to us and so is working with and helping rescue animals.
 

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Messages
993
Sewing and quilting. I just got my new sewing machine yesterday. She's a Singer Featherweight 221, made in 1940 :shock: and she works great! I also have another machine I bought in November which wasn't cheap either. I hesitate to think how much I've spent over the years on fabric and notions. I think I'm good with machines now, so other than servicing (cleaning etc) I should be good....maybe.. :Up_to_something: I think they're like jewelry, just "need one more".. :lol: :twirl: Here's the pic of Charlotte... charlotte_2.jpg charlotte.jpg
 

Elizabeth35

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
366
Travel.
We are in our late 50's and have worked hard and been disciplined savers.
Now we are enjoying delayed gratification!
Since January we have been to Prague, Mexico and taking youngest child and friend to Kauai in 2 weeks. Nevis in October. Will probably be in Florida in May and have yet to plan trips for November/December.

We don't eat out much, not into clothes or cars, and are pretty frugal for the most part so this is something we planned for and agree on as a luxury.
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
I don't have any other expensive hobbies at all.
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
6,822
Travel. We want to see as much of the world as we can before our bodies give out.
 

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
3,758
The Westies. Finn is my avatar, he's had knee surgery, allergy immunotherapy and I pay exorbitant amounts of money in order that he never be kenneled or boarded. Maggie, she's right at $30,000. Two hip replacements and a knee surgery in Houston, Texas; allergy immunotherapy; no kenneling or boarding. Both when injured have had laser therapy (well worth it, great results), acupuncture (great results also), chiropractic massage (both loved it), and I used to have them groomed regularly before I learned to do it myself. Dentistry every 2 years or as needed. They are the best 'things' that ever happened to me and my DH. I feed them organic bison, lamb, ground sirloin, the occasional steak, organic pump and Orijen kibble.
 

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
2,036
azstonie|1457810023|4004030 said:
The Westies. Finn is my avatar, he's had knee surgery, allergy immunotherapy and I pay exorbitant amounts of money in order that he never be kenneled or boarded. Maggie, she's right at $30,000. Two hip replacements and a knee surgery in Houston, Texas; allergy immunotherapy; no kenneling or boarding. Both when injured have had laser therapy (well worth it, great results), acupuncture (great results also), chiropractic massage (both loved it), and I used to have them groomed regularly before I learned to do it myself. Dentistry every 2 years or as needed. They are the best 'things' that ever happened to me and my DH. I feed them organic bison, lamb, ground sirloin, the occasional steak, organic pump and Orijen kibble.
I'm completely crazy about my dog too :angel: She is my little baby so I understand you completely! Best investment ever :)
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,518
Scandinavian|1457780577|4003822 said:
My dog. She is a bird dog (English setter) so we bought a cabin in the mountains to have a better training terrain with more birds, lol.
She can fly?.. :Up_to_something: pics please :!:
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,567
Wine, travel and eating at interesting places.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,518
Cozystitches|1457789976|4003867 said:
Sewing and quilting. I just got my new sewing machine yesterday. She's a Singer Featherweight 221, made in 1940 :shock: and she works great! I also have another machine I bought in November which wasn't cheap either. I hesitate to think how much I've spent over the years on fabric and notions. I think I'm good with machines now, so other than servicing (cleaning etc) I should be good....maybe.. :Up_to_something: I think they're like jewelry, just "need one more".. :lol: :twirl: Here's the pic of Charlotte... charlotte_2.jpg charlotte.jpg
Why are these older sewing machine so expensive?
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,718
Eating like a queen, high end small leather goods and bags, oh and makeup because I am g'damn hoarder.

However I am trying this year to purge my house and will likely only buy one bag and one SLG if that, because I am pretty content with my wallet and my purse.
 

Jimmianne

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,057
Travel & horses & a constant need for construction projects.
 

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
5,110
An unfortunate fascination with Hermes bags and scarves.
 

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
2,346
Makeup is probably the only other "expensive" hobby of mine - I prefer to use Tom Ford and it costs a bomb! :oops:
 

Wink

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
7,472
Hunting, fishing, photography, (Just signed up for Photoshop World in July), and eating out with my lovely lady.

I was going to say continuing education, but, if you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

(One of my favorite sayings by a mentor of mine many many years ago.)

Wink
 

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
1,166
My daughter. A friend told me, 'one is a hobby and two is parenting.' :)

More seriously, outdoor activity gear, cross country skis, mountain bikes, and jogging/trailer stroller. But all these items are bought second hand - I save so much $$$$$ doing that. And they last for years. Totally worth it to enjoy the great outdoors year round.
 

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 25, 2014
Messages
560
maccers|1457834758|4004209 said:
My daughter. A friend told me, 'one is a hobby and two is parenting.' :)
:lol: How about twins?

I was going to say special needs kids- holy moly, there is nothing we spend more money on than special foods, clothes, therapies etc etc. The most expensive, but definitely most rewarding hobby we have. :)

Other than that- pieces of art and art supplies, vintage cocktail making, and family trips. I can be very frugal, until I get bitten by some interest, and then...
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,362
Shoes, definitely. Nothing too expensive or high-end, but I have a lot. I also have gotten into home decor lately and we are spending time and money revitalizing our space. It sure adds up!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
We're foodies.

Fortunately we are both good cooks so eating out is something we have REALLY cut back on a lot, which helps. But our grocery bills are higher than average because we buy nice quality stuff.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top