shape
carat
color
clarity

Believe your eyes, even if its AGS cert?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nexcar

Rough_Rock
Can the AGS rating be forged or manipulated or swapped with a lifeless diamond?I was comparing AGS000 at Robbins Bros (RB) and Charles Koll(CK) in San Diego, Ca., and what a difference seeing the diamond in person makes. Although I saw the paperwork of both and I compared each number for exact percentages of table, depth, crown, etc, I still say that the RB diamonds are lifeless and the CK ones are unbelieveably beautiful! When I do a scillination rotation test in sunlight, I was just amused at the RB stone that was rated AGS000, but with the CK AGS000, I was in awe at sheer beauty.How can the 2 diamonds be so different even though they have the same AGS cert? All thing remaining the same. The lifeless RB diamond also performed with the Hearts/Arrow test, which is really strange? Can lighting affect my perception of the diamond performace when it comes to scillination and fire?

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
No two diamonds seen in person can have the same AGS certificate. Every diamond is diifferent and will have a different certificate. Two diamonds can have the same AGS cut grades, though, like AGS 0/000. There is a range of cut qualities within the 000 grade and the ones which are cut deep and steep are not likely to perform as well as others.As well as that, percentages can reflect averages of angles and the individual angle combinations may not be as good as the average suggests.Finally, lighting makes a major difference. Try outside ir dim lighting rather than lots of bright lights to get the best idea of how a diamond will look.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd agree with Cut Nut. DO some more homework, but don't give up hope. It may well be that the main difference in the stones was the lighting environment.Not all AGS 0 stones are equal..But, they all look pretty good or better, even the ones that don't really look just right. Something caused the lack of sparkle and maybe it was the lighting... I sure hope it was nothing less innocent and would never suspect it of a good quality merchant without very substantial proof.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results