shape
carat
color
clarity

Being a good guy with a gun ... So Simple!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure that there are people out there with some sort of super-hero complex after an 8-hour CCP training, but that's not my experience. I have several friends with CCPs and most of them don't even carry on a regular basis (if ever). Many of them just took the course to familiarize themselves with firearms so that that had at least some basic knowledge. The ones who do carry, shoot fairly regularly (they are members of a gun range, etc.) because they know that being a responsible gun owner is about so much more that an 8-hour class. Even professionals can make mistakes in emergency situations and innocent by-standers end up in harms way, so there is no perfect system.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
If we'd concentrate more on taking away those who would do harm, people wouldn't feel the need to carry.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1450046085|3961020 said:
Kenny, not sure if you saw this one back from September, another illustrious incident where a "good guy with a gun" acted Iike a cowardly, dangerous fool. The carjacking victim that he shot in the head did at least live, to my knowledge.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

Wow.
So tragic.

I know these good Samaritans mean well but using a gun to 'do good' is very risky.
Better to let bad guys get away than shoot their innocent victims. :wall:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
He was set up to fail.
He had no chance to get inside the OODA Loop of the trained attacker who knew he was there in the first one. There are several things he could have done to better the odds.
The way it was set up even the most experienced swat member would have been shot.

In the second part of the first that was some great training he had(not) because he was doing everything wrong.
I do agree that if someone feels they might be in an area that might be a target for an active shooter they should seek specific training. Just better training than the setup job in the video.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1450053491|3961055 said:
If you'll read the follow-up to that story, you'll find that's not what happened. It was the carjackers who hit the victim in the head, not the witness.

http://abc13.com/news/witness-who-fired-on-carjackers-sought-after-nw-houston-attack-/1004386/

Not only that, but for every story like that one posted, you can find one where a "good guy with a gun" stopped a bad guy. Like the Uber driver with a CCP shot a gunman who opened fire on a crowd of people in Logan Square....
The bottom line is, yes, sometimes, things go wrong (even with professionals with guns), but guns can be an effective tool against criminals.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that was quite satirical from Comedy Central of all places- this was done to make a point on the liberal line and poke fun at gun owners. Anyone who thinks they have had enough training after 8 hours to be able respond to an incident with a good outcome is off their rocker. Especially if they have never handled weapons in their life and have an aversion to them. Which it is obvious he does.

Anyone seeking a CCW permit should take it seriously and practice, practice, practice. If you are not willing to put in ten times as much time and money as you might to learn any other activity then you should not even consider owning a gun. It is a deadly weapon and requires full respect of the owner and their family as many accidents happen by not being careful in the storage of guns in the home.

Being retired law enforcement, I practice, qualify annually for my permit that is recognized in all 50 states, and I pay for many advanced courses even now. I would rather people have the opportunity to have a weapon to protect themselves than wait for police who are not required by law to protect individuals. Their duty is to apprehend criminals. Many classes that can be taken, especially ones geared toward women, do not require guns at all. I actually attended a cane class meant for disabled and older people. Anything can be used as a weapon - pens, fingers, feet, stapler, etc. And never let anyone take you somewhere! Fight to the death if you have to but do not go willingly with anyone who means to do you harm. It almost never turns out well.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1450054456|3961065 said:
Andelain|1450053491|3961055 said:
If you'll read the follow-up to that story, you'll find that's not what happened. It was the carjackers who hit the victim in the head, not the witness.

http://abc13.com/news/witness-who-fired-on-carjackers-sought-after-nw-houston-attack-/1004386/

Not only that, but for every story like that one posted, you can find one where a "good guy with a gun" stopped a bad guy. Like the Uber driver with a CCP shot a gunman who opened fire on a crowd of people in Logan Square....
The bottom line is, yes, sometimes, things go wrong (even with professionals with guns), but guns can be an effective tool against criminals.

Yes, they can and have many times. So often, a crime is prevented before a shot is even fired. Like any tool, the owner should get enough training to use it properly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results