shape
carat
color
clarity

Bedding

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
I am hoping this is a less controversial thread than my last one!
19.gif

I was wondering how long your bed sheet set lasts...I change my sheets once or twice a week and after about three years they seem to be a little slimy. Hard to explain. They are still soft and in tact, but they seem to have soap residue or something that is making them greasy feeling.
Anyone with any advice?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Are they 100% cotton? Do you always wash them with fabric softener?

If they aren''t 100% cotton, I find they don''t wear as well. I also find that fabric softener does build up over time.....true for all whites---- sheets, towels, etc.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
They are 100% cotton and I wash them in TIDE FREE in hot water-no fabric softner, but I do put a dryer sheet into the dryer. Is three years a reasonable lenght of usage?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. Maybe it's the dryer sheet that is doing it? I recently went wild with sheets so I won't have to constantly re-wash just a few...maybe you need to add more to the rotation? But cotton will usually wear very well and should only get softer...but not slimy LOL

But then again, I'm probably bored of them after 3 years or I usually spill something on them or get nail polish on them so they are gone before the 3 year mark :)

I also usually shop at Home Goods so I can get really great sheets for dirt cheap...I recently got these 440 beautiful king fitted sheets for 12.99
6.gif
So even if they are tossed after a year, they more than paid for themselved! They do wrinkle though...so I also got these beautiful laura ashley blue and white sheets...only 200 thread count...but they feel nice and are wrinkle free...they were also like 12 bucks! I love that place!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Use less soap and a second rinse and see if that helps. I wonder if your machine just isnt rinsing well.

I found out why our clean laundry felt gross: the husband thought the fabric softener "slot" was for detergent. Yknow because it doesn''t SAY on the slot FABRIC SOFTENER really HUGE in black lettering.

He doesn''t do that anymore. Laundry, I mean.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL. Well, at least we''ve trained *them* to do it!
36.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a control freak and the last thing I want is him throwing what needs to be hung up into the drier!
32.gif

Heh. He usually does his own now.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...

and ps, the shea butter shipped! I guess they are around after all!!!
36.gif

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your responses. I love this forum. I am thinking that I should just forget about the old sheets and enjoy the brand new 400 thread count ones... I am going to try to leave out the dryer sheet. I will see if they get too wrinkly. Because there is NO WAY I will ever iron my bed sheets. There will never be enough time in the day!!!
emwink.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like the 200 thread count sheets I bought. They are a good quality cotton so they are not scratchy and rough. They don''t wrinkle at all...

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
The only sheets I''ve ever had quality problems with are RL chambray sheets. They get so nice and soft.... right before they fall apart. One night I was reading in bed & had my knees bent up, when I straightened out my legs I heard this ripping noise and my right foot went straight through the fitted sheet... There was just this huge rip in the fitted sheet & it didn''t take much force for that to happen... Then the flat sheet started getting so worn at the top seam that it started falling apart too... No more RL sheets...

Um, as for the slick feeling - yeah, that is probably a fabric softener buildup. If you''ll get your lint trap and fill it with water, it will probably hold the water somewhat - that is from the dryer sheet residue & I was told by a dryer repairman that the buildup, if severe enough, can shorten the life of the heating element so he recommended using a toothbrush to clean it periodically. So, if the residue builds up on the lint trap, then sounds reasonable it would build up on fabric. Oh, and I probably use too much detergent so I''m trying to cut down on that as well - I just have this ''more is better'' obsession, especially when it comes to cleaning agents!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tide detergent is one of the worst you can use. This is probably your problem especially if you're using too much because this stuff just foams up like mad and it's impossible to wash all of the soap out of your bedding/clothes/etc.

Try ALL free and clear OR Dreft. Both of these work well.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
What about Oxy Clean? Has anyone used this for their whites? I also put a scoop into my whilte sheets and towels.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In what temp. do you wash your sheets? Without making too many readers too nauseous, b/c of bacteria (research shows.....), sheets/towels should be washed on HOT and rinsed in desired temp. I have my hot water tank at the "high" range end, since I like my hot water cycles (dishes/laundry) to perform the sanitization they are designed to...bummer for the heating bills and longevity of linens....

cheers--Sharon

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2005 8:53:04 PM
Author: So.Cal Girl
What about Oxy Clean? Has anyone used this for their whites? I also put a scoop into my whilte sheets and towels.
I put Oxy Clean in my laundry, but I don''t think it actually does anything. When I''ve gone out to bars or smoky places and my clothes have stunk
14.gif
, I''ve used LOTS of oxy clean and it''s done a great job of getting rid of the odor, but this is the only benefit I''ve found.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results