shape
carat
color
clarity

basket versus tiffany setting - decision time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrzues

Rough_Rock
As a follow up, there were no additional photos available on this setting. But is a basket setting.
IS it totally a personal choice, or would an ideal diamond not sparkle as much in a basket setting? Trying to decide today on this versus a traditional tiffany setting.
Thanks all

7151_S5913-1fdd.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the jeweler''s exchange policy? If its a good one Id go tiffany and let her help pick her setting.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best friend has a setting like this and her stone sparkles like mad.

Having said that, I do prefer this setting, but the real question is, will your fiancee??? Does she go for the modern look?...because that''s what this is, all the way!

If this look is considerably more expensive, I would tend to agree with Ame and get the tiffany six prong. If she prefers something else, it''s not a big loss. My original platinum tiffany six prong mount only cost $400.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Traditional. While some may adore that style, traditional is a safer bet that she can switch later. Unless you know she loves something a little different I''d go plain and she can switch it. I personally would be really disappointed if presented with an e-ring that was not my style at all - would prefer something plain that I could switch rather than something different that you''d have to say yeah i don''t like that so much and risk hurt feelings. Plus that way you can spend the money on the stone, by getting a fairly inexpensive setting.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is very open (and not a basket, in theory) so it would definitely help with sparkle.

The question whether the end-user will like it or not is definitely open. But the style is relatively popular - there are tension settings like this by each of the more famous makers.

On the one above I would preffer those "walls" next to the diamond arch down wrap the finger rather than end up with wide sections. Something like this:

Galaxy.jpg

That, is a Titanium tension setting (and there are a few more versions by several makers - each a bit different).

Claude Thibaudeau makes several versions of the style shaped my like the DCD version. The lineup of rings on their site is pretty good showing how the ring looks with different diamond sizes (from 0.75 to 2 carats). It seems that smaller diamonds make these rings less cumbersome - but even I could not find fault with 1 carat and below
5.gif
Around here, MaryAlaina has a ring by this designer, as far as I remember.

The Ti versions are relatively inexpensive. If you want to give the design a try - one of those could well be a "trial version" without allot of waste if replaced later. IMO, at least
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results