shape
carat
color
clarity

Baselworld watch and jewellery show - any good? Anyone going?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just spotted on Yoram's Blog page:

http://gemconcepts.net/regent-pitt-diamond/

that he has previously attended Baselworld to show his wares - I didn't realise it covered jewellery and stones, I thought it was just for watches!

I looked through the exhibitors list in the Diamonds subsection for this year and couldn't see Yoram/@diagem:

https://www.baselworld.com/en-US/E-Catalogue.aspx?m=r&o=1&p=115147

but I thought it would be ace to meet him and/or some fellow PSers at the event :)

It's not even that far from the UK so now I'm wondering if I need to hatch a plan... :D lol

@diagem - do you go often? Will you be going again soon?? I would love to be able to compare your different cuts in real life!!

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I’d LOVE to go one day!!! I’m so jealous that you have such close access.

Baselworld IS reducing the number of presenters it allows per year (by a lot... around 30% if I remember correctly) and some big names have said this will be their last year. So, going sooner rather than later is probably best!

If you go, take lots of photos for us!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just spotted on Yoram's Blog page:

http://gemconcepts.net/regent-pitt-diamond/

that he has previously attended Baselworld to show his wares - I didn't realise it covered jewellery and stones, I thought it was just for watches!

I looked through the exhibitors list in the Diamonds subsection for this year and couldn't see Yoram/@diagem:

https://www.baselworld.com/en-US/E-Catalogue.aspx?m=r&o=1&p=115147

but I thought it would be ace to meet him and/or some fellow PSers at the event :)

It's not even that far from the UK so now I'm wondering if I need to hatch a plan... :D lol

@diagem - do you go often? Will you be going again soon?? I would love to be able to compare your different cuts in real life!!

Hi OoohShiny,
Hope you enjoyed the blog.
I attended the Basel show on a yearly basis since 2002. Last year I decided to cancel because the show organizers began to show signs trying to minimize servicing the loose Gems companies and professionals by forcefully adding unwelcomed rules and jacking up the already insane prices for everything from exhibiting options to the small espresso offerings etc.
As a result last year Basel lost some of its shine and we started noticing many Companies which used to be show pillars canceling their yearly attendance.

It's still quite an impressive show to visit (I want to hope) but I suspect if the Swiss don't change their strict welcoming rules this show will become less relevant to jewelry and gems in the future...,

The Basel show started as show for the watch industry and the way things are run presently it might just go back to what it was, an exclusive watch show. But these days Basel is getting tough competition from the SIHH show https://sihh.org

Time will tell I guess, but I do miss my yearly week in Basel...

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diagem that's very interesting. My college friend's family runs a traditional jewelry company in Thailand that sells jewelry parures to the Middle East. For many years they would do the March show in Hong Kong then go directly to Baselworld but the past few years they've stopped going to Switzerland and instead go to the June show in Hong Kong instead. They still go to the Dubai and HK shows in the autumn. My friend also mentioned that Basel was becoming too expensive for exhibitors.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to convince the partner
into going. If I succeed, I'll go on saturday.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve been once to the city Basel, and it’s a beautiful small city. It’s worth itself a visit. It’s only 1.5 fight from Vienna, so it’s really close for me.
Once I’d like to visit, but as long as my daughter is so young, I can’t. Maybe in a few years.:(2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi OoohShiny,
Hope you enjoyed the blog.
I attended the Basel show on a yearly basis since 2002. Last year I decided to cancel because the show organizers began to show signs trying to minimize servicing the loose Gems companies and professionals by forcefully adding unwelcomed rules and jacking up the already insane prices for everything from exhibiting options to the small espresso offerings etc.
As a result last year Basel lost some of its shine and we started noticing many Companies which used to be show pillars canceling their yearly attendance.

It's still quite an impressive show to visit (I want to hope) but I suspect if the Swiss don't change their strict welcoming rules this show will become less relevant to jewelry and gems in the future...,

The Basel show started as show for the watch industry and the way things are run presently it might just go back to what it was, an exclusive watch show. But these days Basel is getting tough competition from the SIHH show https://sihh.org

Time will tell I guess, but I do miss my yearly week in Basel...
Thank you for your detailed reply, Yoram! :)

The Swiss Watch industry seems intent on trying to make their wares as expensive as they can possibly get away with, presumably with the aim of putting them out of the reach of us 'mere mortals' and making the products 'aspirational', meaning they can then increase prices even further because there is a strong market base out there who are happy to knowingly pay over the odds for something so that they can show how rich they are... :rolleyes:

Rolex, for example, seem to increase prices by at least 10% a year, but why? Their production is not exactly limited by capacity (700k+ watches per year, IIRC?), the materials are not rising in cost by anywhere near that much, and they are certainly not 'cheap' in the first place. A cynic would think they are doing such things to increase their already massive profits... (and it's always interesting to note that Rolex is effectively owned by a charity so doesn't need to pay tax, AIUI...)

Anyway, I hope you are able to find somewhere in Europe to exhibit your wares - I would be pleased to come along and see them 'in the flesh' and meet you! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results