shape
carat
color
clarity

Bare Escentuals makeup users, please read.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
So awhile back, I posted about my struggles with adult acne. Several people recommended switching to Bare Escentuals makeup. I checked out their website, as well as the boutique in the chicagoland area, and I decided to make the switch. I ordered the starter kit that included two shades of foundation, warmth and mineral veil as well as the brushes. I also seperately bought the bisque at the store. about a week and a half ago, I started using the system.

I really do like it for several reasons. First, it feels so light on my skin! I can''t believe I used heavy liquid foundation for so long! It''s so light and airy, I feel like my skin can actually breathe and I''m not afraid to touch my face anymore. It also seems to reduce the amount of time I need to apply it.

Here are the problems I''m having with it: it doesn''t quite cover my acne and acne scars like so many people raved it would. Maybe I''m doing something wrong, but even after I put the foundation, bisque and mineral veil on, I can still see the little bumps and red marks. Also, I have rosacea on the sides of my cheeks, and you can still see that too. So I''m still a little frustrated. I really do like this makeup and I don''t want to get rid of it (especially after how much I spent on it), but I watched the little "how-to" DVD and the model on there who had some of the same skin problems as me seemed to cover her spots so easily while I''m still struggling to get it right.

So I know some of you use these products. What are your suggestions? Is there a method to doing this? A specific way to cover spots? I would really appreciate any feedback! As I said, I love the makeup, I just wish I could cover these spots better so i can feel more confident to face the world everyday!
16.gif

thanks so much - IrishEyes
2.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Irish,
I use Bare Escentuals and just love it! Like you, I can''t believe how light it is and long lasting for me too.

As far as covering a blemish, I put on the foundation first and then use the concealer brush with the "bisque" and cover any redness or blemishes. I follow that with the mineral veil and then my blush and sometimes the clear radiance like Virginia or another thing I have called "true" which is similar to the clear radiance.

I find the "bisque" to really cover under-eye issues and blemishes quite well without looking like I caked something on.

Hope this helps!
Libby

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Hey Irisheyes, I use Bare Escentuals too
1.gif

Basically I''m the same as you: redness on my cheeks and acne here and there. What I have learned over the years I have used this makeup is to use the concealer brush and to specifically apply the foundation to my "trouble areas" lol. So I use the concealer brush to put foundation on my cheeks and wherever I have acne or other blemishes. Then I use the really full, short handled brush (I don''t remember the name, I think its the Kabuki Brush) to put my foundation all over my face, going in circles, really rubbing in the foundation. I will keep applying the foundation using this brush until I''m satisfied with the coverage (so I go over my cheeks a lot and will make sure the foundation I used with the concealer brush is nicely rubbed in). Then I''ll apply the mineral veil. It definitely gets rid of the redness on my cheeks and any minor blemishes, but if I have a really bad blemish, it is still visible, just not anywhere near as bad as it would be with no makeup
2.gif

Also, I don''t know what shade your skin is, but I am a medium and the bisque is a bit too light for me. I have used it as a concealer in the past, but I found that the darker foundation does a much better job.

Not sure any of this really helps, but it is worth a shot!
3.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Irish Eyes--

Congrats on your Bare Escentuals. I''m a firm believer in it too. I also have rosacea (only mine is on my nose) and acne (will it EVER go away--I''m 34!). I agree with the posters above that you definitely need the concealer brush to use the bisque well. My current plan is to put the bisque on any acne issues, then do the foundation all over with the kabuki brush, then go back and put on more foundation on my rosacea areas. Sometimes I mix the foundation with the bisque for my rosacea areas. I do this in the lid of one of the jars...enough for one time use. Adding the bisque to the foundation seems to make it more opaque. I then put on the glee (rosy all over color) like blush, then the mineral veil and then a top coat of the glee mixed with the clear radiance (a little sparkle). It actually lasts most of the day on me and keeps my red nose covered so I don''t look like rudolph!

I''ve been eying the baby buki brush..thinking that might help put foundation under my eyes and around my nose. Does anyone have it? Do you you like it?

Once you get used to the basics you can get tons of samples off Ebay.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies!
1.gif

I will definitely try some of these methods tomorrow morning! I do have the concealor brush and use it, but I think I''ll try the foundation on the bad areas first, then some bisque, then all over foundation and then mineral veil. We''ll see how that goes. one of the things I love about this stuff is that I barely have to touch it up, plus it doesn''t get all shiny halfway thru the day. My husband and I went to the car show in Chicago today and it was really crowded and warm in the building. However, I noticed my face didn''t get shiny and greasy looking - something that definitely would''ve happened with liquid foundation! So I really do love this stuff! Plus I just feel I''m doing something really good for my skin.
1.gif

Thanks again guys, I knew I could count on you for valuable advice!
9.gif

Oh yeah, I use the baby buki brush for next to my nose and my chin and I think it does a wonderful job of getting to the places on your face that the kubuki brush has a hard time with. I definitely recommend it!

IndiBlue

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad to stumbled onto this thread-

I''ve been thinking about switching to Bare Escentuals for a while now- I''m glad to hear that you all like it. I have a few questions.

What did you order first? The starter set?

Also, was it easy for you to match your skin tone with the first try?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I first ordered the starter kit directly from Bare Escentuals. However, I know you can buy them from Sephora and QVC now too.

As for the color, I chose the medium tone starter kit which came with two different shades. Also, you can mix different shades together if need be. If you have a Sephora near by, go in and see the foundations in person.

IndiBlue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice!

I stumbled onto a Sephora today, coincidentally. It''s fairly new to the mall that I never go to, but just happened to today.

I tried out a few different things but settled for the starter kit, Light/Fairly Light.....I''m a little suprised with how little you get for $60. I thought the containers would be as big as the ones in the store... Oh Well! I did get all the brushed so alls well that ends well.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
oh my! Thank you all so much for your tips! This morning I did the following: used the concealor brush to put foundation directly over my redness/blemishes. THen used concealor brush for the bisque over the same areas. THen I applied my foundation all over face using kabuki brush. Then warmth, then mineral veil. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! SO much better! You could barely see anything. I''m so pleased, I hope this continues to work every morning!

THanks again gals, you really helped me out!
2.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2006 8:17:31 PM
Author: IrishEyes
oh my! Thank you all so much for your tips! This morning I did the following: used the concealor brush to put foundation directly over my redness/blemishes. THen used concealor brush for the bisque over the same areas. THen I applied my foundation all over face using kabuki brush. Then warmth, then mineral veil. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! SO much better! You could barely see anything. I''m so pleased, I hope this continues to work every morning!

THanks again gals, you really helped me out!
2.gif
Yay!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Can I also ask another question about Bare Minerals? I''ve been using it for a while too, but lately, I''ve noticed that the foundation doesn''t go on evenly and actually cakes. Does anyone else have this problem? It was fine when I first got the makeup, and I clean my brushes religiously, so I don''t think it''s residual makeup.

And I have extremely oily skin, which shows through the makeup in less than an hour, even after I apply the mineral veil. Any suggestions or tips on how to stop my T-zone from reflecting on all the light around me?

Thanks in advance for your input.

And Irisheyes, I''m so sorry for borrowing this thread. I didn''t even see it till now, otherwise I would have added my advice too.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Usually the caking means you are using too much product. I''d wash your brushes out again and then try using less. My cousin had the same problem and this fixed it for her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A tip to help those with oilier spots: brush on a touch of mineral veil on those trouble spots first before applying the foundation.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I also use the B.E. brand of make up and find it good. I like the application and the (close to) flawless finish that it gives. The brush makes a huge difference, if I use the kabuki brush I get a great finish, if I use the flawless application brush, I get a so so finish. I use the kabuki brush for the foundation application, then the big, flatish one for mineral veil and Stila shimmer.

Cinderella, I too have oily skin and I don''t think that there is a make up on this planet that can take it away. I find the BE pretty good though. I apply my make up around 8am, I blot with paper/ tissue at about 11 - 11:30am then around 3pm ish and I''m good to go. With liquid make up, I had to blot anyway, but after I blotted, the finish was not quite as even as first applied. With BE, after I blot, it looks like it was just freshly applied. That I like. : ) If I recall correctly, I have seen Lesley recommend applying mineral veil to the skin PRIOR to the application of the foundation for oily skin. I have not tried it, but if you do, please let me know if it works.

I wish you well,

Bridget

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah- try applying the Mineral Veil first, then foundation, then top with Mineral Veil.
Several thin, well buffed layers are better than one thick one. One thick layer will cake.
Also, give you face a mist with some H2O once you are done, It will set everything nicely.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 1:59:34 AM
Author: Cinderella

And I have extremely oily skin, which shows through the makeup in less than an hour, even after I apply the mineral veil. Any suggestions or tips on how to stop my T-zone from reflecting on all the light around me?
All the other suggestions are great, but I just wanted to add one more thing. Do you use moisturizer? I found that certain ones definitely made my skin more oily. I switched from Cetaphil to Purpose regular to Purpose Redness Reducing and on my g*d, what a difference with the latter! And before the change, I was just like you. Almost every hour I was looking oily
14.gif
. Now I can go almost an entire 10-12 hours without a problem! I also changed my skin care regime recently and noticed that also helped with my oily skin (remember, if you have oily skin and you use harsh detergents to clean your face, it strips your skin of all its oils and hence your skin over produces to compensate, it''s a vicious cycle).

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, just a quick update:

I''ve taken several different suggestions, namely using less product and buffing more, and using the mineral veil before applying foundation to soak up extra oil.

The mineral veil before the foundation really does work; I blot a lot less during the day, and I look a lot less shiny. Plus, I really was using too much of the product before. Now, I don''t have a problem with caking.

So thanks for all the advice!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 5:21:02 PM
Author: Cinderella
Hi all, just a quick update:

I''ve taken several different suggestions, namely using less product and buffing more, and using the mineral veil before applying foundation to soak up extra oil.

The mineral veil before the foundation really does work; I blot a lot less during the day, and I look a lot less shiny. Plus, I really was using too much of the product before. Now, I don''t have a problem with caking.

So thanks for all the advice!
Yay
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results