shape
carat
color
clarity

Banned Books

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What century are we living in? I honestly do not recognize this country (USA) anymore

What's the next step? Closing libraries? Oh wait, with budget cuts it's already happening. Library hours are being reduced.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't scroll through the entire list but if the Bible isn't on there it should be since it condones incest and child sacrifice just for starters.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't scroll through the entire list but if the Bible isn't on there it should be since it condones incest and child sacrifice just for starters.

Ha. I couldn’t agree more

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

x.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey!
Come to think of it, wasn't there another group partial to banning books?

Hmmm. :think: :think: :think:

2.jpg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What next, ban the film/stage versions of the books too?!

I did not scroll down the list, however, I suspect some of the classics would be on the list.

DK :roll2:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's quite a list. And from the unwoke Reader's Digest, no less.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, the drama!

They are banned from schools (have nothing to do with the subjects taught in schools), not actually banned.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, the drama!

They are banned from schools (have nothing to do with the subjects taught in schools), not actually banned.

They are banned because uber conservative groups such as Moms for Liberty (the irony there is too much) have demanded them to be removed from schools. They are banned from institutions of learning where tough subjects should be able to be discussed and taught by experts trained to do so in a way that kids may not be comfortable discussing with their parents.

Kids who are old enough to buy their own books or find other ways to read them will obviously access the info perhaps against their parents' wishes.

Kids who aren't old enough and can't discuss topics comfortably with their parents who support uber conservative interference in schools should not be denied safe harbor in their schools.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are banned because uber conservative groups such as Moms for Liberty (the irony there is too much) have demanded them to be removed from schools. They are banned from institutions of learning where tough subjects should be able to be discussed and taught by experts trained to do so in a way that kids may not be comfortable discussing with their parents.

Kids who are old enough to buy their own books or find other ways to read them will obviously access the info perhaps against their parents' wishes.

Kids who aren't old enough and can't discuss topics comfortably with their parents who support uber conservative interference in schools should not be denied safe harbor in their schools.

wow, you really like that word.... "extremist"

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, you really like that word.... "extremist"

Don't troll. It's unbecoming. I did not use the word in my post. I am not responsible for those who use it in the links.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is this truly why you think those books are banned? Did they get rid of all the books about professional sports and NASCAR? Did they just leave the 30 or so books that are actually discussed in class? I remember taking almost every book they had out of the elementary school library -- and I grew up in a house full of books. Not one of those books I took home from the school library had the slightest thing to do with what was taught in my classes.

If you truly think these books were removed simply because they are not taught in the school's curriculum, you would benefit from some reading about who is removing them and why. They will tell you -- they are very proud of their reasons and they shout them from bullhorns at school board meetings and they bear no similarity to the reason you quote.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is this truly why you think those books are banned? Did they get rid of all the books about professional sports and NASCAR? Did they just leave the 30 or so books that are actually discussed in class? I remember taking almost every book they had out of the elementary school library -- and I grew up in a house full of books. Not one of those books I took home from the school library had the slightest thing to do with what was taught in my classes.

If you truly think these books were removed simply because they are not taught in the school's curriculum, you would benefit from some reading about who is removing them and why. They will tell you -- they are very proud of their reasons and they shout them from bullhorns at school board meetings and they bear no similarity to the reason you quote.
Y'all circle around with words like these books are R rated or something?
Well are they?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are books banned? I will tell those who don't understand why. They are banned because those supporting these bans want to restrict information and discourage freedom of thought. These people who support censorship undermine one of the primary functions of education. Which is teaching students how to think for themselves. These actions endanger tolerance, free expression, and democracy.

Shoot, all these things are already endangered as far as I see it. People (especially young people) are already being brainwashed and cannot think for themselves. I see it in action right now. Pathetic. We are all at risk. Not just the USA. This whole world as I see it is at risk. People are brainwashed sheep. My observation

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y'all circle around with words like these books are R rated or something?
Well are they?

If you read the link you'd see that no, they aren't. Some have "coarse language" or explore "sexual themes". Some are about police brutality, some are about being LGBTQ+ in small towns, some are about rape survivors trying to navigate the legal system, a book of poetry, fantasy books about kings/queens/monsters, growing up in foster care, just a book that happens to have a trans girl as the main character.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moms for Liberty is focused on the LGBTQ+ community and gained a foothold in their war against that community when drag queen reading hours gained media coverage and hysteria ensued about kids being "groomed." The groups co-founder was particularly vicious and appeared in media daily....until it was revealed that she had slept with another woman via the discovery of her sex tape. This politically avaricious hypocrite is on the Sarasota School Board because Florida is such a bastion of free thought (sarcasm). She has refused public calls for her resignation.

A former student did an excellent take down of her. It's easy to scroll past the media commentary to hear only his address:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn't just school libraries where books are banned. There have been public libraries and bookstores who have removed material from shelves due to public pressure -- protesting outside the stores, breaking windows, harassing employees. It happened in my community until we rallied and drove them away.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If you read the link you'd see that no, they aren't. Some have "coarse language" or explore "sexual themes". Some are about police brutality, some are about being LGBTQ+ in small towns, some are about rape survivors trying to navigate the legal system, a book of poetry, fantasy books about kings/queens/monsters, growing up in foster care, just a book that happens to have a trans girl as the main character.

She obviously doesn’t understand what’s going on here but that mocking, sneering tone, combined with cluelessness and/or obvious misinformation re the topic, is straight out of certain fascist news outlets.

Combined with repeated, flat out refusal to listen to others, read any links regardless of the reputation of the source, or consider anything that is not in line with that indoctrination, on many topics through time, is either full indoctrination or repeated trolling. Possibly both, but it is not participating in a discussion in good faith, that’s for sure.

Looking up “the rise of fascism in the US” would open many of those people’s eyes to how all these pieces fit together. But I guess that’s not as much fun as making smart-alecky, clueless remarks, then playing the victim. This is very serious stuff and should be treated as such imo, not with that kind of repeated BS. I think she should be banned, personally.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She obviously doesn’t understand what’s going on here but that mocking, sneering tone, combined with cluelessness and/or obvious misinformation re the topic, is straight out of certain fascist news outlets.

Combined with repeated, flat out refusal to listen to, read any links regardless of the reputation of the source, or consider anything that is not in line with that indoctrination, on many topics through time, is either full indoctrination or repeated trolling. Possibly both, but it is not participating in a discussion in good faith, that’s for sure.

Reading about “the rise of fascism in the US” would open many people’s eyes to how all these pieces fit together. But I guess that’s not as much fun as making smart, clueless remarks, then playing the victim. This is very serious stuff and should be treated as such imo, not with that kind of repeated BS. I think she should be banned, personally.

100%.
Reminds me of good ole Ruby.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
100%.
Reminds me of good ole Ruby.

Yes. It is very frustrating to try to share information, type out your thoughts or go to the trouble of hunting down links to what you believe to be solid information, or point out why what that person has posted is not that, only to get more know-it-all, know-nothingness back, with sneering on top. Never appearing to listen or conceding that she was wrong, when it's due.

That is not reasonably participating in a discussion and shouldn't be allowed imo. I think it's definition of "trolling." I'm sure we all fall short now and then but an established, longterm pattern is different imo. Especially considering the seriousness of some of these topics.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, how I love the ignore function here!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how I love the ignore function here!

I don’t! Because at the bottom of each thread it will let you know that whoever you blocked posted. Then of course I’ll have to make sure they didn’t say something about me. I mean, obviously, letting them get away with that is unthinkable (lol). Now FB, in spite of its many faults, has an ignore function that’s worthy of the name. Block someone and they completely disappear from your world, yay! They also can’t comment on your posts or threads, etc.

Seriously though, it’s way beyond someone simply getting on your nerves, when we are inundated with dangerous lies with very serious consequences, and many people believe them. Just letting them stand unchecked is helping allow them to flourish. Which we will ALL pay for in the end. Just ignoring it doesn’t seem like a good idea imo.

The well integrated, pervasive, system of propaganda is even more dangerous to democracy than book bannings are imo.

Last edited:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The well integrated, pervasive, system of propaganda is even more dangerous to democracy than book bannings are imo.

Woh woh woh, weren't you commenting on how people should pay for imaginary crimes in videogames and VR, just the other day?

Of course you want stuff banned, just stuff you don't like. Democracy indeed.

On another note, I don't care much about what you think about me, but try not to cross the line and label me this and that, I haven't called you names (even in a concealed manner). Same for your besties here.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really didn’t want to chime in but I will because I feel cranky. It’s been a lonnnng year x20.
Spoiler alert for a differing opinion:

It’s not classics (in my geographic area) being ‘banned.’ It’s sexuality explicit books, many of which have graphic pictures depicting sexual acts. (I won’t link them here but I have seen them). I know this is where the protest lies. Does a 10 yo need a book that has pictures and acts that we hide behind brown paper at the newsstand? That’s a rhetorical question because I don’t need answers, as I have my own opinion. Perhaps these books are ok at the HS level, but I do not think they belong in the younger grades. And it is there. I say let them be kids. I think of my grown children seeing these pictures as kids and I honestly shudder at the thought of having to have that conversation at that tender age.
I will not be back to defend my post so please don’t come at me. I spend every. single. day making a difference in my students’ lives and they are all I care about.
Peace!

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t! Because at the bottom of each thread it will let you know that whoever you blocked posted. Then of course I’ll have to make sure they didn’t say something about me. I mean, obviously, letting them get away with that is unthinkable (lol). ...

I have her on ignore.
Good riddance.

There's a reason I don't care what she says about me:
Her posts are not credible; People here know that.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I really didn’t want to chime in but I will because I feel cranky. It’s been a lonnnng year x20.
Spoiler alert for a differing opinion:

It’s not classics (in my geographic area) being ‘banned.’ It’s sexuality explicit books, many of which have graphic pictures depicting sexual acts. (I won’t link them here but I have seen them). I know this is where the protest lies. Does a 10 yo need a book that has pictures and acts that we hide behind brown paper at the newsstand? That’s a rhetorical question because I don’t need answers, as I have my own opinion. Perhaps these books are ok at the HS level, but I do not think they belong in the younger grades. And it is there. I say let them be kids. I think of my grown children seeing these pictures as kids and I honestly shudder at the thought of having to have that conversation at that tender age.
I will not be back to defend my post so please don’t come at me. I spend every. single. day making a difference in my students’ lives and they are all I care about.
Peace!
I strongly disagree. And of course, there aren't many people who would say, "Oh no! I definitely want ten-year-olds to have pron!," if that was the real issue.

Of course they will always make an excuse that is as dramatic and noble-sounding as possible, they always have, throughout history. But does not mean that's what's really going on.

What's going on is they are starting with the obvious things most people wouldn't approve of and amplifying them as if they're huge, startling problems, then taking rights away from the people based on that lie. And then moving on to take more and more rights from the people. That's how fascism works.

They are trying to dismantle our public education system and turn it into their indoctrination, just like the Nazis did. All planned out, one step at a time. Taking dirty books out of elementary school libraries and giving school vouchers so people "have a choice" is what they want us to believe they are doing. If they said the truth, very few people would go along with them.

We need an educated population to prevent it. That requires looking around and considering other points of view, reading and watching, while heavily evaluating the sources. Nobody wants ten-year-olds to have pron. That's just an attempt to justify taking away rights while demonizing the other side to make it easier to get away with.

Here's an article I just read, if any are interested.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have her on ignore.
Good riddance.

There's a reason I don't care what she says about me:
Her posts are not credible; People here know that.

The progression of fascism in our country, and the world is so divisive, among other things, none of them good. For ex. how can I continue to be friends or family with people who are buying the lies and propaganda and won't hear anything else, just as occurred in pre-Nazi Germany? It just sucks.

Fox "News" had a 7 BILLION dollar payout for their blatant, ongoing, deliberate lies about the 2020 election. That would open anyone's eyes who is trying to see.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand and agree with @Slickk's point. Books should be age appropriate. My impression of kids today is that they have access to a lot of age-inappropriate internet material that would probably upset their parents so I'm not sure how long they're able to be protected from exposure to things considered age inappropriate. What is or isn't appropriate material for school books/library books should be decided by the schools with parent input but unless the schools are breaking laws in some way with their choice of material, I side with the choices schools' make.

Last year a 14 year old and a 10 year old in Louisiana were arrested for allegedly raping a child under the age of 10.
The Southern Baptist scandal involved sexual abuse of juveniles by multiple adults. And how about those Boy Scout leaders -- 7800 of whom sexually abused a child over the course of 72 years and the BS have said there are probably many more cases.

Parents should be the one's to discuss sex, sex abuse, and LGBTQ+ topics with kids, Unfortunately that isn't always the case which means that schools are often the place where discussions take place and they should be prepared with the appropriate reading materials to handle those discussions and library books about those topics should be available to kids who, for whatever reason, do not feel comfortable asking teachers, counselors, parents about those topics.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And......no matter how many books get banned...these kids have phones. There are ZERO protections against pron, gambling, violence...
Seems like no one is paying any attention to that.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... how can I continue to be friends or family with people who are buying the lies and propaganda and won't hear anything else, just as occurred in pre-Nazi Germany? ...

Who says you have to?
Take control; eliminate bad people from your life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results