shape
carat
color
clarity

bananas foster bread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here ya go :)

1 1/4 (I used 1 1/2) cups brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups (yeah right I use 2 lol) mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
(and I added 2 tsp rum extract but I''d use more next time - do to taste)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp bak soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts (I used about 1/2 cup and I added about 1/2 cup of choc chips - not too much, this isn''t a chocolate dish!)

I whipped the brown sugar and butter until *very* creamed then beat the eggs in until very light and fluffy (like 5 full minutes) then beat in the rest (you can add the extra 1/2 cup of bananas in later if you want some chunks but I like it fairly uniform) and let''s see... grease the bottoms only on 2 (8.5 x 4.5) or 1 (9x5) pans and it says to cook for an hour to an hour 15 but I start testing mine a good 15 minutes before the hour because I really hate overcooked banana bread!!! don''t stick the toothpick in the middle where the crack is - stick it right next to the crack and if it''s clean take ''em out!!!!

now who wants my rum raisin fudge recipe? LOL!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
18.gif
I will definitely try this...DH loves banana bread and this recipe is definitely different!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2006 1:31:55 PM
Author: FireGoddess
18.gif
I will definitely try this...DH loves banana bread and this recipe is definitely different!
oh wait, I forgot!!!! I added a little cinnamon and cloves - but I mean a *little* not even 1/8 teaspoon... a tiny pinch of cloves and a dash of cinnamon... just to give a vague boost, not a spice flavor - you could do that to taste too though...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like quick breads at this time of year. What kind of dessert is bananas foster? It''s one I have seen on menus, but never eaten. Does it have rum in it? I am wondering if rum is a necessary ingredient in a bananas foster bread (or what makes a bananas foster bread different from a banana bread). I usually make banana or pumpkin breads, but I love cranberry bread, too. Bring on the new recipes!

Deb
34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, i''ll take that fudge recipe, please!

movie zombie

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2006 9:27:56 PM
Author: movie zombie
yes, i''ll take that fudge recipe, please!

movie zombie
okay, it''s not really a recipe LOL I use the fudge recipe on the marshmallow whip jar!!! -but- I am a HUGE fan of playing with what goes IN it. It asks for a teaspoon of vanilla... well you can put a little more in than that and you can make it whatever you want. A little cinnamon and some orange flavoring is *really* good.... for the rum fudge one I soak (plump) the raisins in water (or rum) and when I make the fudge I put rum flavoring instead of vanilla (again I use like 1T but do it to taste) and the plumped raisins.... it''s so good it''s like rum raisinettes LOL You can add mint flavoring or peppermint... you can add some marshamllows while it''s still hot and get this striations or you can wait until it cools some (stirring constantly) and make rocky road. I''ve used different types of chips as well... milk chocolate and maple flavoring for one.... I''ve never tried it but I bet some cherry flavoring and chopped marachino''s and walnuts could be seriously yummy!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2006 8:15:47 PM
Author: AGBF

I like quick breads at this time of year. What kind of dessert is bananas foster? It''s one I have seen on menus, but never eaten. Does it have rum in it? I am wondering if rum is a necessary ingredient in a bananas foster bread (or what makes a bananas foster bread different from a banana bread). I usually make banana or pumpkin breads, but I love cranberry bread, too. Bring on the new recipes!

Deb
34.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananas_Foster I did put a tiny bit of cloves in my bread to spice it a little more... and the pecans aren''t really a bananas foster thing but they add something, I love pecans!!! Basically just make banana bread but add in cinnamon, rum extract and I used all dark brown sugar instead of white sugar. I don''t actually use RUM in it - just the extract which is likely artificial (cannot recall).

can you tell I like tweaking recipes???? You can do a lot with a cake box as well... I haven''t made a box cake for a LONG time but when I did I remember putting cinnamon in the chocolate cakes - just a tiny bit, not really enough to taste, just enough for people to go wow this is really good!! You can add a little dissolved instant coffee to make it mocha-y. I am CONSTANTY saying okay what can I add to this? haha Sometimes it backfires... in the early days I added a little of EVERYTHING and it wasn''t an example of more is more LOL

Curls

Rough_Rock
AGBF, bananas foster is a great dessert. It has rum, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Oh, and of course bananas. Some people use banana liqueur. I really think that rum would be necessary in the recipe, but I have not tried rum extract, so maybe it''s a good alternative. It''s served warm (in fact some people ignite it, but I know I''d start a fire) and over vanilla ice cream, but since it tastes so good other recipes, like this bread one, are created. Too bad I''m watching what I''m eating and can''t try this one right now.

Here''s a bananas foster from Allrecipes.com that''s really good and easy.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bananas-Foster-II/Detail.aspx

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2006 7:49:12 PM
Author: Curls
AGBF, bananas foster is a great dessert. It has rum, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Oh, and of course bananas. Some people use banana liqueur. I really think that rum would be necessary in the recipe, but I have not tried rum extract, so maybe it''s a good alternative. It''s served warm (in fact some people ignite it, but I know I''d start a fire) and over vanilla ice cream, but since it tastes so good other recipes, like this bread one, are created. Too bad I''m watching what I''m eating and can''t try this one right now.

Here''s a bananas foster from Allrecipes.com that''s really good and easy.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bananas-Foster-II/Detail.aspx
I have made actual bananas foster before and I would definitely just use real rum for that - but for the bread the extract is perfect :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, what temp. do you bake the bread on??

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 6:02:11 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Cehra, what temp. do you bake the bread on??
first of all - your dog looks so cute!!!!

secondly - I''m so sorry but I can''t find my page anywhere!!! I''m glad I put the recipe down because I need it next week too LOL It''s just my adaptation for the banana bread in the betty crocker cookbook.... I *think* it''s 375 but I could be wrong so I''m hoping someone out there with a BCC will look up the temp for us - and the time too.... yikes!! I took the page out of my cookbook (binder) and I''m not sure where I put it lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results