shape
carat
color
clarity

Baking Class for our Children :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning we had an awesome local Baker come in as a treat for the girls, to teach us some really cool baking tips & help us with areas of baking that we don't do so well on. The girls did so well, listening to instruction & trying to perfect piping skills. And now, of course, we have 4 massive cakes. Two were able to go in the freezer, but the 2 with fresh cream need to be eaten over the next few days. Am I a bad parent for letting them have cake for lunch? :razz:
IMG-20200222-WA0011.jpg IMG-20200222-WA0009.jpg IMG-20200222-WA0008.jpg IMG-20200222-WA0003.jpg IMG_5112~2.jpg IMG_5113~2.jpg IMG_5114~2.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! This looks like so much fun!
And cake for lunch is A-OK with me!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO! I think the cake for lunch was well earned! They look beautiful and delicious!

What fun!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, what a fun idea!!! And quality time with your girls. Perfect. That cake lunch is well earned!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Super cute and fun!!! And YUM! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's late here now & the girls have gone to bed with cake babies in their tummies :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Am i too late for lunch? :lickout:
Those cakes look upmarket bakery worthy :appl:
Well done girls, im very impressed
what a really fun family activity

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's late here now & the girls have gone to bed with cake babies in their tummies :lol:

Cake for brrakfast :wavey:

When i was a kid i always saved my pudding to have for breakfast (think pavalova or brandy snaps) because i like day old cream

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cake for brrakfast :wavey:

When i was a kid i always saved my pudding to have for breakfast (think pavalova or brandy snaps) because i like day old cream

I'm thinking tomorrow night, after a lovely big Sunday roast, a bit of Lola's jammy sponge warmed up with hot custard over for dessert....... :lickout:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They might look a bit rustic, but they were so light & moist & tasty!

Please tell the girls they look professional. My uncle was a pastry cheif !
It sounds like such a fun day
i hope they look back on it many years from now with happy memories

I remember one day just before Easter one year mum and dad getting us up when it was still dark to go and watch my uncle make hot cross buns
that was kinda cool but what you girls did is sooooooooo much more fun :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful!
Great pics! :clap:

In 1972 I took a Home Economics class in high school.
The classroom had around 10 little kitchens in it.
I love it, and the basics learned have served me well for half a century.
Also took a class in tough typing.
I'm pretty sure I was the only boy in those classes. :rolleyes:

I doubt public high schools do this any longer, but they should.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who got to lick the bowl? :lickout:

What a fabulous memory of your Uncle! I figure it's these little things that they will remember fondly & that's all you can ever hope for as a parent, right? I have lovely memories of baking with my grandmother when I was small & it makes me feel warm & fuzzy. Plus I think if they can take a lovely cake to a party, it's a totally done deal!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the photography compliment @kenny ! I only snapped the ones I wasn't on of course - it was a Family T Effort.

I honestly think the basics we learn at home & at school are invaluable. I have friends who have no idea how to even cook a basic meal & eat out, order in, or have ready meals all week. I am proud to say that at the ages of 9 & 10, my girls already know the basics of making toast, making a mash, chucking veg in the wok with salmon or roasting veg etc. I would hate them to leave home without basic skills. Baking however, is not my forte. I am legendary for making cakes that don't rise aka "Mummy's Cake Biscuits" :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both licked spoons before the bowls was ready for licking!

You know when we were at intermediate school (when kids are usually 12 and 13) we were forced to do cooking, sewing, art, metalwork and woodwork
Cooking was the worst (sewing a close 2nd tied with metalwork)
The first day we watched the witch of a teacher make a milkshake and then a cheese and carrot sandwhich
a carrot sandwhich ??? I kid you not :doh:
It was 1982 - the year of the bran muffin -no filling or icing ...or flavour :x2

I think she put a generation off cooking:angryfire:
we were never allowed to lick the spoon
now when i watch Australian MasterCheif its taste ! taste ! taste !
(Admittedly i do notice its a clean spoon and a fresh clean spoon is used for the next taste)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was 1982 - the year of the bran muffin -no filling or icing ...or flavour

And no fun!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful experience for the whole family. Thank you for sharing pictures - your family is beautiful and your cakes look fantastic! I hope your children continue with their baking - it has been my hobby my whole life. And yes, they definitely deserve to eat cake for dinner. As for your idea about eating some jammy sponge with hot custard tomorrow, let's just say I am a little bit jealous!!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful experience for the whole family. Thank you for sharing pictures - your family is beautiful and your cakes look fantastic! I hope your children continue with their baking - it has been my hobby my whole life. And yes, they definitely deserve to eat cake for dinner. As for your idea about eating some jammy sponge with hot custard tomorrow, let's just say I am a little bit jealous!!!

Thank you! The girls gave always loved to bake, so I thought a lesson with a professional would really appeal to them. They had such a great morning & it was really fascinating as parents to listen to their questions for the baker. They were so interested in processes & how you could change or adapt a recipe - they certainly have switched on brains when it comes to cake!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning we had an awesome local Baker come in as a treat for the girls, to teach us some really cool baking tips & help us with areas of baking that we don't do so well on. The girls did so well, listening to instruction & trying to perfect piping skills. And now, of course, we have 4 massive cakes. Two were able to go in the freezer, but the 2 with fresh cream need to be eaten over the next few days. Am I a bad parent for letting them have cake for lunch? :razz:
IMG-20200222-WA0011.jpg IMG-20200222-WA0009.jpg IMG-20200222-WA0008.jpg IMG-20200222-WA0003.jpg IMG_5112~2.jpg IMG_5113~2.jpg IMG_5114~2.jpg

LOVE! Looks like so much fun and what a delicious day indeed! @Alex T your girls are beautiful! Just like their momma. :love:

And I just showed my DH and he said niiiiiiice. That is high praise coming from my DH who is quite the baker.

Really scrumptious cakes and your girls are the sweetest! They take the cake (pun intended). :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE! Looks like so much fun and what a delicious day indeed! @Alex T your girls are beautiful! Just like their momma. :love:

And I just showed my DH and he said niiiiiiice. That is high praise coming from my DH who is quite the baker.

Really scrumptious cakes and your girls are the sweetest! They take the cake (pun intended). :appl:

Thank you! They definitely taste WAY better than they look! Funnily enough it was Stu & I who baked the 2 chocolate cakes, Hope made a Lemon cake, which Stu is holding, and Lola made the Victoria Sponge, which I am holding. The girls wanted to make buttercream & pipe onto the chocolate cakes, so Stu & i ended up spreading lemon curd, cream & jam! So if we're going to get technical, the girls cakes rose nicely & far better than their parents! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! They definitely taste WAY better than they look! Funnily enough it was Stu & I who baked the 2 chocolate cakes, Hope made a Lemon cake, which Stu is holding, and Lola made the Victoria Sponge, which I am holding. The girls wanted to make buttercream & pipe onto the chocolate cakes, so Stu & i ended up spreading lemon curd, cream & jam! So if we're going to get technical, the girls cakes rose nicely & far better than their parents! :lol:

I think they look amazing! Seriously. So if they taste even better sign me up girlfriend and when you visit bring your girls and let's get baking.:bigsmile::appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look amazing! Seriously. So if they taste even better sign me up girlfriend and when you visit bring your girls and let's get baking.:bigsmile::appl:

Absolutely! They'd love that!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

Ah - Victoria Sponge. Delicious. My first experience with it was about 20 years ago at Tea & Sympathy in Greenwich Village. I have baked it at home several times since. I love a good afternoon tea!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yum @Alex T, they’re drool worthy :lickout: and your girls are such cuties.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results