shape
carat
color
clarity

Baking Blogs and Recipes

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

An early Christmas gift came so I could start making baked goods to share for the holiday.... I finally am a real, grown up woman with a stand mixer! Does anyone have any baking blogs or recipes they would recommend? Anything that is a classic and go to? I'm such a beginner and there are so many resources online that I don't know where to start.

Also, is there a blog for baking similar to Pricescope? Dangerous question but I thought I would ask. Have a great week and thanks in advance!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know anything about blogs, although I do understand fora. I have used allrecipes.com to get great recipes for years, however. If I ever lose a favorite recipe, I can find it or a very, very close facsimile on allrecipes.com. I depend on it. Happy baking! (I just posted a recipe in another thread.)

Deb :wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't follow any cooking or baking blogs, really, but when I need recipe inspiration I just go to Pinterest. Most of the bloggers link to Pinterest for all of their posts, anyway, so if you just type in "holiday baking" or similar you should get, oh, about a million recipes/links to sites. I'm not really a fan of most cooking blogs, because they are so picture-heavy typically. I don't want to scroll through 29 photos of close-ups to get to the recipe, you know? If I had that much time I'd just write my own cooking blog!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the stand mixer.
I love mine. Have so for years.
Only kitchen gadget I like better is my ingredient scale.
If you are used to doing by hand or a hand held mixer - in case you are unaware- items like cakes and cookies can be over mixed if using a recipe with times not intended for the stand mixer. Or even more so if splitting a recipe. Fudgey brownies could turn into cakey brownies easily with a stand mixer.
Smitten kitchen is a good one and I like the allrecipes site as well. I'll add bravetart and King Arthur flour.

For forums: egullet, baking 911, cheftalk and real baking with rose. Somewhat cakecentral, but it's kind of geared more towards decor.
Most of these forums are not as active as they used to be, but old threads are still very informative. My favorites were always the bake offs/best of, or multiple posters baking their way thru entire cookbooks.

For bread- the fresh loaf.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the stand mixer!
I think I've even used mine for mashed potatoes when making a larger quantity.

In addition to the sites listed, you might want to check out onceuponachef.com.
Each recipe has photos of the finished product and the process, which can be helpful for some people.
However, each recipe starts off with tabs (Recipe, Reviews, Questions, Print), so you can click on the Recipe tab if you want to skip the photos and just get to the actual recipe.

Here's an example. Cornbread Muffins (which I've made in a round pan).
http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/04/cornbread-muffins.html#tabrecipe

Have fun! :))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun with your stand mixer. I love mine. One trick I learned in cake decorating class that helps prevent messes is when you put in a lot of dry ingredients cover the mixer with a dish towel before turning it on because initially that dry stuff can tend to fly out of the bowl.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Matata|1481831083|4107538 said:
https://smittenkitchen.com/ has all kinds of recipes including baked goods.

I second this. I also like The Kitchn (sister site to Apartment Therapy). Lots of different types of recipes, and basic pointers about cooking in general.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results