shape
carat
color
clarity

Bakers-- Great Cake recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to add this to the cupcake thread...but I thought I would just start a new topic. I usually make cupcakes, I''m pretty obsessed with them. However, I need to make a friend a cake for her birthday on Friday night. I was hoping to so some kind of cake with layers of whip cream and berries. I just dont have a recipe and feel that the cake will need to be pretty sturdy to hold this up.

Anyone have a recipe for something similar? Or just a great cake recipe that will make me change my mind on what to make!

Thanks!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so you will laugh at me, but honestly, my favorite cake these days is the "diet soda cake" - any cake mix (I like Trader Joe''s Tahitian Vanilla) plus any can of diet soda (its good with a can of mandarin orange soda or sprite or fresca) - just mix together and bake as directed. It comes out light and moist, and I bet if you made several rounds and layered whipped cream and berries in between it would be TDF
18.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
My version of strawberry shortcake:

1 box yellow or white cake mix, bake per instructions for 2 layers.
Fresh strawberries, sliced, and sweetened to taste with sugar, preferably overnight in fridge. Sugar will melt and create syrup.
Large Cool Whip

Cut cooled cake layers in half, lengthwise, to make four layers.

Place first layer, cut side up, and spoon sweetened strawberries, then layer Cool Whip.

Repeat cake, strawberry, Cool Whip for the next two layers and finish with cake layer on top. Frost all over with Cool Whip.

Easy, light, and everyone seems to love it!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decadent and rich. This one is for the serious chocoholic. Warning -- those who are calorie-phobic should not read any further. It''s a single layer, small torte but it''s so rich that just a teensy piece gets the heart palpitating.

Chocolate Sin
8 ounces dark semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into coarse pieces
1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Grease bottom only (not the sides) of an 8-inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, set rack in center of oven.
2. Melt chocolate with water in small heavy saucepan set over very low heat, stirring occasionally until mixture is melted and smooth; remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, use wire whisk to whip butter (it should be very soft), sugar, and cornstarch. When mixture is well blended, add the egg yolks and continue to whisk until creamy do not beat. Add the chocolate and stir with whisk until well blended.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with the salt until stiff but still moist. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture then gently whisk in remainder using a light folding action.
5. Pour batter into the springform pan; shake lightly to settle. Bake for 15 minutes; turn off the oven and leaving the oven door slightly opened (about 4 inches), allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack. As cake cools, the edges will pull away from the sides of the pan. Run a knife around the edges so it pulls evenly away. As cake cooks it will sink in the center leaving a firm ring of cake around the edge; center will be soft. Cool to room temperature then release sides of the springform.

When ready to serve (it''s especially delicious slightly warm), spread whipped cream topping over cake and garnish with shaved semi-sweet chocolate.

Whipped Cream Topping
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioners? sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla until slightly stiff.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
If you run out of time or if it doesn''t turn out like you wish - you can always go for the Triple Berry Shortcake at Sweet Lady Jane.

http://www.sweetladyjane.com/CakeDesc.html

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
so funny that you mention that. The sweet lady jane cake is what i really want...but i''m not shelling out $80. ANd i use sweet lady jane for work, but our delivery is today so i couldnt get it and keep it till friday. too bad, that cake is like heaven!

all these cakes sound good. i''ll probably try a combo of a bunch of recipes.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi, msflutter! I've made this four times in the last year, (basically, whenever I can get good blackberries,) and I think I'm making it again this week. I would say it is finessed rustic style, and it's a big crowd pleaser.

Pastel Vasco with Blackberry Compote and Poured Cream (Julie's adaptation from Sunday Suppers at Lucques by Suzanne Goin)

2 C all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt (1/4 tsp table salt)
4 extra-large eggs; 3 for batter, 1 for wash
1 C sugar, plus a little more for sprinkling
12 T butter, melted; for lower fat, 10 T butter + 3 T milk
2 T dark rum (or other dark liquor)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
1/4 C orange juice
Blackberry compote (recipe follows)
1 c heavy cream

Sift flour and baking powder together. Add the salt.

Whisk 3 eggs together in large bowl. Whisk in sugar, melted butter, rum, extracts, and orange juice. Fold in dry ingredients, and let batter rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. If you are an experienced baker, and it seems thin, add flour, 1 T at a time.

Preheat oven to 350 for a dark pan (375 for glass.)

Lightly butter a loaf pan, or 9 inch round. Pour 3/4 of the batter into the pan, and spoon 3/4 of compote over it. Top with remaining batter.

Beat remaining egg and brush it over the batter. Sprinkle handful of sugar on top. Bake about 1 hr, until an inserted toothpick is clean.

Serve with a small pitcher of cream (or a bowl of whipped cream.)

Blackberry Compote

1/4 C sugar
1/4 vanilla bean (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
1/2 T cornstarch
1 pint blackberries
1 tablespoon brandy

Pour sugar into a saucepan, around 2 quarts. Cut 1/4th of vanilla bean, split that piece, and use a paring knife to scrape seeds and pulp into sugar. Add 3 T of water, and bring to boil over medium heat without stirring. Cook about 10 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally, until the mixture is an amber caramel.

While the sugar is caramelizing, stir 1 T water into the cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.

When sugar has reached amber caramel, add half the blackberries and the brandy. Continue cooking for 3-5 min over medium low, until the berries begin to release their juices and sugar dissolves. Smash them with the back of a spoon or potato masher. Taste!

Stir in the remaining berries. Bring blackberry caramel back to a boil over medium heat, and slowly whisk in cornstarch slurry, gradually. Cook a few more minutes, stirring often, until sauce thickens.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if you were looking for chocolate or not, but this is my favorite cake recipe of all time. This recipe just makes enough cake to fill an 8x8 pan with a thick cake. You could probably make two thinner cakes in round pans without doubling the recipe, but I haven''t tried it. It has a nice sturdy texture, so it would be perfect for holding up in layers. My mom has made this since I was a little kid and it''s the best chocolate cake I''ve ever had. It''s called Day Before Payday Cake because it''s meant to use ingredients you always have in your house. It uses a cup of coffee, which really brings out the chocolate flavor. I strongly dislike the taste of coffee, even in desserts, but you don''t taste it in this cake at all.

Day Before Payday Cake (or Payday Cake for short)
Dry:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Wet:
1 cup cold coffee
5 Tbsp melted shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp vinegar

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a depression in center and add all liquids in order given. Beat 2 min with beater on lowest setting or mix by hand 150 strokes. Bake in a greased and floured (or use cocoa so that you don''t see the white flour on the edges if you''re not going to cover in icing) 8x8 pan. Bake 30-35min at 350 degrees.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG this thread is making me hungry LOL - awesome recipes ladies, thanks for sharing, and thanks to msflutter for starting the thread
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results