shape
carat
color
clarity

Bahia Principe Tulum/Akumal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
My fiancee and I were looking around virbo.com and found some rental locations. One was through a travel agency and the destination was just south of Cancun, Mexico. Have any of you heard anything of Bahia Principe Tulum/Akumal? It will be about the same price to go there as opposed to South Carolina (without the 13 hr. drive to South Carolina, but a 4 hr. flight). If any of you guys know anything I hope you can pass on some more information becuase we need to book it tomorrow to be sure we get that flight. Have a great turkey day!

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
We''re booking it for our honeymoon. We would be there from May 13 and return May 20th. My fiancee and I had already looked at the website for the two places and even on trip adviser but I was just wanting to know if anyone had any problems with these two locations or if they had any concerns about going to Cancun.

Both of us our going into the ministry and so we''re not partiers or drinkers. Most of the all inclusive places it seems that people just go there and get hammered...is this true? I mean I have no problem with their choices as long as it does not interfer with my honeymoon. Is the weather nice in Cancun in May? Is it hurricane season (I''m from Indiana and never had to deal with this so I don''t know) any problems with international flights?

Thanks!

(I''m so very excited that I will be married to the most beautiful girl in less than 6 months!!!)

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I have not been to this resort but I am familiar with it because we considered it for our wedding and almost went there on our scouting trip. It is on a beautiful (but maybe a little rocky) beach, but my only reservations about honeymooning there would be:

-it''s not adults only and it''s HUGE, so it might not be too romantic
-they use meal vouchers, so you can only eat in a restuarant a few times even if you are there for a week, the rest of the time you have to eat buffet
-if you are not drinkers (or big eaters), you might want to look into a non AI, you could probably save some money

This is totally just my opinion and like I said I haven''t been here, maybe someone will respond who has been there so they can give you some more advice based on personal experience, but if I would think you might be happier with your HM somewhere smaller that is not AI...but i''s it''s between this and SC, definitely go to Mexico, it''s awesome!

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/23/2006 11:23:51 PM
Author: firstbase32
or if they had any concerns about going to Cancun.

No concerns!! Cancun is beautiful, I''m getting married there in July.

Is the weather nice in Cancun in May? Is it hurricane season (I''m from Indiana and never had to deal with this so I don''t know) any problems with international flights?

The weather is great in May and it''s not hurricane season, hurricane season starts in July, I''m a little concerned about it raining in my wedding day but they say it''s good luck hehe, so anyway, I think it''s a great option!!

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/24/2006 10:49:22 AM
Author: Diamonds are Hot!
I have not been to this resort but I am familiar with it because we considered it for our wedding and almost went there on our scouting trip. It is on a beautiful (but maybe a little rocky) beach, but my only reservations about honeymooning there would be:

-it''s not adults only and it''s HUGE, so it might not be too romantic
-they use meal vouchers, so you can only eat in a restuarant a few times even if you are there for a week, the rest of the time you have to eat buffet
-if you are not drinkers (or big eaters), you might want to look into a non AI, you could probably save some money

This is totally just my opinion and like I said I haven''t been here, maybe someone will respond who has been there so they can give you some more advice based on personal experience, but if I would think you might be happier with your HM somewhere smaller that is not AI...but i''s it''s between this and SC, definitely go to Mexico, it''s awesome!

We''re college students at a Nazarene school close to Chicago and we eat like 14 meals a week in our cafeteria....sooo....we''re used to buffet food and know that it''s sometimes below average. The only thing with SC is that it is like $1400 for the condo RIGHT on the beach and we''re like 13 hrs. from there so it''d be about $300 in gas and then plus all of our food and activities for while we''re there....but with the Cancun AI thing it''s about $2600 including our passports since we would be flying from Indy to Cancun. (stupid new government rule that goes in affect in like January or February) So if we went to SC it would be us simply on the beach for a week and preparing our own meals and finding stuff to do.....while if we went to Cancun we''d not have to prepare meals and we could ask about activities to do on the resort n''stuff.....so I think we''re booking the AI place tomorrow....where is everyone else going for their honeymoon?

rms

Brilliant_Rock
We just got back from that area. We stayed at the Grand Palladium all inclusive resort in Riviera Maya...about 1 hr 20 min south of Cancun. Had a great time, highly recommend it. Yes it''s buffet food for the most part. With a 1 week stay we got 3 sit down dinners. We have also stayed previously at Dreams in Cancun and also Puerto Vallarta. I would recommend any of those places. The concept of all inclusive resorts has grown on me.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
how does tipping work at the AI places? I''ve read things that say all the tips and stuff are included when you stay there but then i saw people say they left a tip just so they could get better service...have any of you noticed this to be true?

Also alot of people that complain about some of the AI places state the service was bad. But from what I understand you''re allowed to go up and get beer, pop, or any other drinks on your own. My fiancee said she believes the people that complain about the service being bad are people that want their drink constantly filled or when going to an AI think they shouldn''t have to lift a finger....what do you guys think?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 1:29:06 PM
Author: firstbase32
My fiancee said she believes the people that complain about the service being bad are people that want their drink constantly filled or when going to an AI think they shouldn''t have to lift a finger....what do you guys think?

Weeeeeellll. I have to say I found the attitude of servers in the places I stayed in Mexico to be ... um ... insulting. Many seemed to be laughing at/scoffing at American tourists & creating a hostile environment.

I did not enjoy Mexico .. either Cancun or the Riviera Maya. However, my friend who took the trip with me LOVED it (for the superior aquatic beauty ... best snorkling she''s ever done). She went back a year later & stayed at a more downscale place & just ignored the snotty treatment from locals & concentrated on the scenery/snorkling etc.

I don''t swim & would never go back there. Also: be careful. I rented a car for one day through the upscale resort we were staying (the only place I used my credit card) and my credit card # was stolen & used for purchasing electronic goods. Took a couple months to get that sorted out.

Mexico. Blech.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
Wow deco! Maybe you were staying at the wrong place! I have been to Mexico many times and I almost feel bad because the servers, bartenders and butlers have always waited me hand and foot and everything it always "my pleasure". I don''t think I have ever opened a door in Mexico or wanted anything for longer than it takes for someone to go get it. That''s too bad you had a bad experience because I think Mexico is awesome, as long as you stay at the upscale resorts, which it sounds like you did. Can I ask were you stayed that you weren''t happy with?

firstbase- I always tip at AIs in Mexico, without tips the people working there make ridiculously low wages, it''s not even for better service always (maybe on the beach or at the pool is it, so the waiters keep coming back) because at meal times you tip afterwards and almost never see that server again, it''s just that a few dollars that doesn''t mean anything to you means alot to them especially when it adds up.
Also, I have not had bad service in Mexico, but like I said we always stay at places where you are not allowed to get up and get your own stuff, they have pool and beach butlers, but you could walk or swim up to the bar if you wanted. At the more upsclae places I think almost everyone tips, I didn''t really see any evidence of non-tippers expect for those whose culture doesn''t include tipping.

As far as people not wanting to lift a finger, there are places you can go for that but I have seen reviews on tripadvisor where people go to a more self-service kind of place and then complain about the lack of service, which I think is stupid.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 4:20:22 PM
Author: Diamonds are Hot!
Wow deco! Maybe you were staying at the wrong place! Can I ask were you stayed that you weren''t happy with?

Sure thing ... it was The Aventura Spa Palace... and it was so weird to me ... because the rooms & common areas & pool facilities etc were very beautiful & well maintained ... no complaints about the food really ... it was JUST the service. And not really like late food arrival or "bad" service ... it was "snotty" service. Maybe because we were two gals traveling alone? We''re both very nice - not crazy Americans or anything! I just got the feeling the entire time I was there that there was a joke we were not in on ... like super sarcastic service or a sense of humor that didn''t translate well to US.

Also ... I found the super aggressive sales techniques in the Playa Del Carmen marketplace a bit hard to deal with ...
20.gif

I''ve been to several similar resorts in the Carib. & never felt that weird tension or so vaguely, laughably unwelcome.

Would wholeheartedly recommed the St. James Club in Antiqua & Le Sport in St. Lucia.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure if you were looking for suggestions, but I went to the Mayan Riveria 2 years ago with my bf and had an amazing time!!

We stayed at the El Dorado Royale. It was absolutely stunning! The rooms were amazing (shower, jacuzzi for 2 inthe room, hammock etc), the meals were all a la carte dining (well..you could have a breakfast buffet if you wanted, but that was it), and I would say the food was absolutely 5 stars! Better than a lot of restaurants I''ve been to at home!!

No kids, all adults (mostly middle aged and younger I''d say) and a lot of honeymooners.

High-end alcohol at all of the bars, including the martini lounge!

I would go back in a heartbeat!

Good luck with your search!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results