shape
carat
color
clarity

Bah!!! Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
OK, so remember how I said he bought the ring? Well, I found out today that the card he used to buy the ring was flagged because the purchase was too large (He hadn''t used that card for this particular reason, so he could buy the ER with it!!!) So the card company declined the purchase. He had to call to remove the flag and verify he made the purchase, his identity and a whole bunch of other bs.

The settings that I made for him to choose from were spectacular, but the diamond was ok. I was a little wary about the depth and table size of the diamond, so I looked on whiteflash.com and found a gorgeous expert selection diamond and a decent setting for a little more than the price of each of the three rings I presented to him to choose from. (The other settings with a diamond of whiteflash''s quality would''ve been wayyy over budget, by $1000). I don''t know how to view this, like is this a sign that I wouldn''t have been happy with the diamond?

I think I''m taking this as a sign to pick a better quality diamond with a decent setting.
Am I reading too far into this? What would you ladies do if you were in this situation, go with an ok stone and a spectacular setting, or an amazing diamond with a decent setting? I''m just looking for some advice. Thanks!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
tough decision.. sorry i cannot offer more help! but if you are having doubts...talk it out!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
no doubt i would go with an amazing diamond with a decent setting.

You can always save up for the setting of your dreams and have your amazing stone re-set some time in the future (anniversary!).

But that''s just me.. if you''re on a tight budget i say put most of it towards the stone.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Good point namaste. I didn''t even think of that!! That''s a great idea!
Jcarly, we''re going to talk about it tonight after school.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 3:52:28 PM
Author: Namaste

You can always save up for the setting of your dreams and have your amazing stone re-set some time in the future (anniversary!).

But that''s just me.. if you''re on a tight budget i say put most of it towards the stone.
I agree.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock

ditto. I like this plan too. :)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:02:01 PM
Author: Definitely, Maybe

ditto. I like this plan too. :)
Add me to the list of ladies who think it might be better to get a nicer stone and upgrade the mounting later.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a tough call (and one I''m going through myself!) I was gonna get a not-so-good quality diamond to get one that''s bigger and then splurge on the setting, but after a shopping excursion this weekend I decided the money is best spent on the diamond. The jeweler I worked with was really big on quality...and I ended up agreeing!

But honestly, it''s up to you! Either way, I''m sure it''ll be beautiful!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking engagement rings shouldn''t be charged (unless he''s just using the CC for points and plans to pay in full when the bill comes)
2.gif

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I''m on the fence about your situation.

My BF and I searched for settings first and once we found one, then we started trying to figure out what size diamond we could afford/get. After some back and forth and changes, the bulk of the money will still go to the diamond, but I could not give that setting up for anything. I absolutely love it and I had not seen anyone with it here (ps) or in person. But then again, while my diamond will be a decent size and nice by regular people standards (modest by PS standards), we will be upgrading my BF said. I may not want to, but if I choose to get a bigger diamond, then I know that''s an option down the road, and I can hold onto my setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results