carat
color
clarity

Bad Review for Cleaning Lady

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

For mothers day, my son hired a service to come and clean my house. He ordered the service a month ago for a start time of 9.30am yesterday. That morning they had no one to send, and finally located someone who showed up at 2:45 in the after noon.
My house is between 1200 &1300 sq feet with a few areas that needed attention(very dirty). I have a heavy oak table up against two windows where tons of cobwebs accummulated on the window sills and behind another desk. My son and a friend moved the desk that morning. The rest was ordinary cleaning.

She is 48 yrs old, fat, out of breath, come with a few rags and didn't seem to know how to clean, although she said she had been doing this for a year. She was very slow, out of breath and did a terrible job. I had to direct her all the way through the downstairs., including how to clean the cobwebs.(broom-no spiders). She didn't clean the inside of microwave, wipe down fridge, clean part of kitchen and bathroom floor, no baseboards, no coffee table. She did a good job with stove and wiping down my white cabinets.

Here is the dilemma. She chatted with me and told me about her life. What a hard life. She lives and shares the rent with 2 grown children and two younger children . Her first husband committed suicide. She lived with another man and her youngest daughter
has downs syndrome with lots of surgeries. She only just went to school, cant speak, but in one word answers and must take the daughter with her at all times. The childs father hightailed it out of her abode as soon as the child was born. She said she has very little schooling and so can't get a job doing anything else but house-cleaning. The childs father sort of beat the dows syndrome child, who is 12, because she had an accident while in his care. So she has court dates scheduled for that.

My son said she didn't even do his bathroom sink and is disgusted at how she performed. I agree she was terrible, but I am torn about what to say about her. The service usually calls to see how it went. We payed her extra time because she exceeded the 3 hrs alloted.

Do I(my son) tell the truth or should i just chalk it up to ????. Life is hard. I don't want to think that this woman won't get jobs because of what we said. A dirty floor isn't that important. I could think of it as doing good without getting something in return.
What do you-all think?

Thanks,
Annette

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Sorry you didn't have your house properly cleaned. A few months back, someone told me they were going to get me a cleaning person as a present and then the gift didn't happen, so I began researching cleaning services in my area and found similar complaints to what you posted. It seems that many cleaners will only do exactly what is written down on a list and if you don't tell them, they won't clean this stuff. I know it's common sense to clean the bathroom sink, but upon reading the reviews on Yelp, MANY cleaners just ignore a lot of the basic stuff. Also, some agencies bring supplies, others don't...

That said, you should complain. A LOT of us have had horrible things happen in life. Really really crappy things and it's not an excuse to do a bad job and go three hours over the time and charge more. Plus, the woman was suppose to be working, not gabbing. Did she go over b/c she spent all that time talking about her life?

stci

Ideal_Rock
MC|1368311638|3445113 said:
Hi,

Sorry you didn't have your house properly cleaned. A few months back, someone told me they were going to get me a cleaning person as a present and then the gift didn't happen, so I began researching cleaning services in my area and found similar complaints to what you posted. It seems that many cleaners will only do exactly what is written down on a list and if you don't tell them, they won't clean this stuff. I know it's common sense to clean the bathroom sink, but upon reading the reviews on Yelp, MANY cleaners just ignore a lot of the basic stuff. Also, some agencies bring supplies, others don't...

That said, you should complain. A LOT of us have had horrible things happen in life. Really really crappy things and it's not an excuse to do a bad job and go three hours over the time and charge more. Plus, the woman was suppose to be working, not gabbing. Did she go over b/c she spent all that time talking about her life?

I agree 100% !

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I agree you should be honest. Yes her life is tough, but maybe her doing a crummy job is keeping someone else that also has a rough life but that is actually skilled and eager to work from being employed.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Be honest. No-one's life is a bed of roses. And I guarantee if you didn't perform well your boss wouldn't hesitate to let you know. There are times I have to show mine cleaning lady she "forgot" to clean the top of the fridge, or between to books on the bookcase or the vacuum the stairs. No-one is perfect.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good lord, please do not complain about her. I must be getting soft in my old age, but I'm pretty disgusted by these comments. Yes, she was hired to do a service and wasn't amazing, but you said yourself she did a good job on some things. I would let this go.

MrsAkin

Rough_Rock
I think I wouldn't complain about her work. She started cleaning other people's houses at the age of 47, she must be really needy. If she was young and had different circumstances I'd say you have every right to complain but clearly she was given a really bad hand. Yes I know how some of us say she has to be perfect and deserve the money she is being paid but I think at her age she also deserves to rest.

I don't think she was trying to take advantage of you. It's just that this is all she can do because of her age, her health and whatnot. It's a one time thing, she's not becoming your regular cleaning lady so I say just let it go this one time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1368355971|3445398 said:
Good lord, please do not complain about her. I must be getting soft in my old age, but I'm pretty disgusted by these comments. Yes, she was hired to do a service and wasn't amazing, but you said yourself she did a good job on some things. I would let this go.

Yeah, I sort of feel the same way. I wouldn't want to hire her again but I wouldn't want to complain about her either. Or I just might give her a second chance because life is hard and not every one gets lucky breaks. Life is so unfair why make it harder for her?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
missy|1368361671|3445420 said:

Yeah, I sort of feel the same way. I wouldn't want to hire her again but I wouldn't want to complain about her either. Or I just might give her a second chance because life is hard and not every one gets lucky breaks. Life is so unfair why make it harder for her?

There is a difference between calling specifically to complain and just being honest when they call for the review, which is what I suggested. If they call and say "would you hire so-and-so again?" and OP says "probably not", that's all they need.

Also, if you think about her LONG-TERM job security, it's best to be honest. If she doesn't get feedback that her work needs to improve, then she will keep doing th same quality work, which will result in no return visits and a bad reputation. At least let her know that she should step it up.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of the Scruples Questions - from that 90's game - and I think I'd be just as torn as to what to do. I don't want to mess up anyone's livelihood yet at the same time, while I did not get the full service I purchased/was gifted, it wasn't the BEST or the WORST job of cleaning the home.

I think if it were me, I'd be inclined to just answer the questions as asked and not provide any additional commentary, if I were called for a review. I'd also acknowledge that while the service was booked for 9am, staff was not available until 245pm and that may be the more critical thing - they let you down from the time that it was booked for. Maybe focus on that instead?? My guess is, if they were scrambling to find someone and it took that long, they were already down to the 'less efficient' staff already, so they may be already aware of her skills and service capabilities....???

Or - the poor woman already did a full house and this was extra, which she thought she'd be able to handle but underestimated her physical abilities to complete the job...???

I'm too much of a wishy washy suck - I'd probably say , "oh, it was fine", and leave it at that! For the next time, I'd call a different company and get references!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You lost me completely after taking shots at her looks : She is 48 yrs old, fat, out of breath. You had cobwebs all over your windowsill, you shouldn't be judging something that was a gift to you. :nono:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd give constructive feedback by sandwiching the comments; good, bad, good.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto
ugh, this is tough one but I wouldn't say anything. sure we have problems but this lady really has it bad. I would just move on and find another cleaning service.

sorry this happened

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, its better to think of the good things she did and not say anything bad. This service called another service to get her.

Lyra, my choice of words is descriptive and accurate. Her breathlessness and slowness , I think, can be attributed to her weight.
She was a very nice person and I wish her the best.

Annette

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, wrong post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results