shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad Day... So I went to the Jewelry store!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I kinda hit a boiling point at work today, and told them I just had to go! On my way over to the BF's office I remembered that there is a jewelry store around the corner that had some amazing rocks in the window. Thinking, what can put a smile on a girls face better than playing with diamonds?, I decides to indulge myself. I told her that I was in the market for something in the 3-4 range in a Radiant. They didn't have many Radiants and even tried to convince me to see a Princess with Tapered sides, not my thing. So they showed me the one Radiant they did have and it was to die for!!! D VS2 7.01!!!
30.gif

I of course stared at it for a while and wore it around the store. It was a simple setting with hearts on either side, not my thing either, but they told me that they wholesale diamonds. After they told me they could sell me the 7 for the price of a 5ct. So...I decide to take the plunge and ask what the price was. He looked at me very seriously and told me me he would sell the stone via wire transfer for... get this.... the bargain basement price of........$275,000!!!
11.gif

Ok...so is it me, or is that a TON of $$$? I really thought he was going to say somewhere around $80,000, not that that is in the budget, but at least it wouldn't be 6 digits!!! Tell me if I am off here.... And why does everyone seem to think they are a wholesaler?
27.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Crooked! That is so awesome! Don''t we just LOVE what we can''t have?! ha! I had the same experience just two days ago! I went to a jewlery store to check out wedding bands for FI. In the process, I, of course, checked out the bling and tried on this to-die-for 4ct cushion! It was STUNNING
30.gif
30.gif
And it was $82,000....so I slowly handed back the ring....
41.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on a 5ct Novo at Tiffany this summer that was a whopping $175,000!!!
23.gif

It was huge and not my style though, but BOY could that be a great Sunday ring.
31.gif
27.gif

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
this is exactly why I would hold back to ask to try something that big on...for the fact that I would WANT IT.... THEN GET DEPRESSED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO HAVE IT... bad enough I WANT A 2CT. Boy do those rings sound gorgeous...I can only imagine....
6.gif
18.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Ok... So Cleopatra, you tried on a 4ct for $82g''s, Nebe tried on a 5ct for $175g''s at T&Co (which we all know is way marked up), so how does the 7ct get up to $275g''s????
BF and I have designed my ring and have just not found the stone yet. I have kinda left that up to him. Whne we were designing the ring we had a 3-4+ct Radiant in mind, so I am well aware of the cost! Having said that I can still not understand $275,000!!! I am starting to think that my jeweler is the best deal in the world... Which is great, but at the same time, SCARY!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Yes it is a ton of dollars but that is a ton of diamond :razz:

To me that seems a fairly reasonable price :/ compared to what I have tried on in the past. The closest comparisons I can think of is a 4.2ct Glacier Cut with side stones (G VS2)that was 250k (most stunning ring I have ever tried
6.gif
) and a 7.47ct Asscher with pink side stones was $347k.

I don''t know if that Radiant that would be a wholesaler price but it seems okayish :razz:

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Deelight... Thanks so much for your input. I guess maybe it was just the sheer number that blew me away. When we set off to design my ring we knew absolutely nothing about diamonds except what the jeweler told us. After I found PS I realized that what we had looked at was not what I wanted. The jeweler we used has done several rings for friends of mine and they are all stunning!!! He owns multiple stores out in Vegas and has about 20 in house designers. He is what I truly consider to be a wholesaler. I have done my research and he is def on the inexpensive side as far as diamonds go. He showed us a gorgeous radiant VS2 3.11ct that was a J. I now know that I do not want a J, and SI1 would be fine if it was eye clean, althought I am leaning towards something more in the VS1 VS2 range. He wanted $24,500 for that diamond. I think that sounds reasonable for what it is... Any thoughts?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 8:37:00 AM
Author: CrookedRock
Deelight... Thanks so much for your input. I guess maybe it was just the sheer number that blew me away. When we set off to design my ring we knew absolutely nothing about diamonds except what the jeweler told us. After I found PS I realized that what we had looked at was not what I wanted. The jeweler we used has done several rings for friends of mine and they are all stunning!!! He owns multiple stores out in Vegas and has about 20 in house designers. He is what I truly consider to be a wholesaler. I have done my research and he is def on the inexpensive side as far as diamonds go. He showed us a gorgeous radiant VS2 3.11ct that was a J. I now know that I do not want a J, and SI1 would be fine if it was eye clean, althought I am leaning towards something more in the VS1 VS2 range. He wanted $24,500 for that diamond. I think that sounds reasonable for what it is... Any thoughts?

no worries :) This forum has taught me SOOO much I am so glad I found this place before we took the plunge and bought a ring :). Mind you I would have to stop changing my mind about what shape,setting,size I want first

to me I think each diamond should be evaluated on a case by case basis :) that seems a fantastic price for a massive stone and if it sparkles like there is no tomorrow Whoot :):) I could not find anything on the price search here to match that.

I personally at this stage not comfortable going below a G colored stone for my e-ring (but I lean towards an F :razz:)In saying that though I have seen some warmer colored stones on this forum that looked icy white to me and look amazing
30.gif
30.gif
6.gif
but I have no problems with the SI clarity ranges (still prefer VS :razz:) ~ if there eyeclean of course

At the end of the day if the diamond makes you go weak at the knees and shake I think it is a winner :) (pity the diamond that made me do that was the 250k one and am still to find one to compare
6.gif
)

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I compleyely agree with you that each diamond needs to be looked at on it''s own. PS has def taught me that. We also looked at a 4.something radiant that day that was an SI1 J. It was terrible, no sparkle, while the smaller stone (not that 3.11 is small
2.gif
) was sparkling like crazy!!!! I just loved it, but I would love to have the chance to go look at it again knowing what I know now!
I too lean towards the VS range with no lower than a G. From what I have learned of Radiants so far the cut can hide los of imperfections that an SI1 might have, but the color is very important.
Unfortunately, i have left the center stone up to the BF. He knows the requirements, so time will tell how well he was listening...LOL!
19.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am definitely no expert far from it but yeah I have heard the same thing (mind you at the time I was searching between an Asscher and a Radiant :razz:) Cause Radiants are fairly faceted and sparkley the inclusions would be fairly well hidden. The colour thing I have never heard of but the radiants (not that I have seen many as hardly anyone stocks them) I have seen on the mid range scale (H''s) have been really grey :/ (including the Tiffany''s one which was a Lucinda cut but fairly similar in shape to a Radiant) but this was before I found pricescope and learnt more about all the little minute details of cut.

maybe someone else with more knowledge could verify that.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
what were the specs? Once you get above about 5, if the specs are good, I could see it going for a steep price. I have heard that diamonds of certain sizes and qualities are so rare that the combo of the size plus the other specs being good make it that way. Of course, he could be totally off price too, but just trying to come up with something.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Holy smokes! Yikes. If only I had that kind of money to spend on diamonds...**sigh**

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
It would be nice if we could all have diamonds like that, unfortunately it isn''t reality...
37.gif

I think I should start another post in Rocky Talk to get to the bottom of this Radiant thing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results