shape
carat
color
clarity

Back from Yosemite....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
...but no big news. I didn''t end up popping the question like I was going to and here''s a quick little story why.

Bascially, when I got to the top of the mountain, which took a very long time (we left at 6am and got to the top at 2pm), I was completely exhausted. I got up there and ended up taking a nap because I couldn''t even stand up. It was that bad. I felt horrible and could barely drink and couldn''t really eat anything. I don''t think I''ve ever physically exerted myself that much in my entire life. So while the two of us were sitting there I said something like "You know, I was thinking of proposing to you here" and she said, "Well, I''m glad you didn''t." Bascially, even though it would have been really cool and was a great idea, the moment just wasn''t right. Her father and brother were with us, as well as about 50 other people, and she wanted it a bit more private than that. So in the end, I didn''t do it.

However, a few good things did come out of this. First, she now knows I have the ring and was ok with that. We had the next 7 hours while we hiked down to talk about things and I was able to tell her something about it and she seemed to take it ok. She did thank me for not proposing up there a few times and after our talk, it won''t be a big deal to wait a little bit longer. Who knows, now that she knows I have it, she might ask for it sooner!

I also got to tell her about my addiction to PS, though I didn''t actually tell her the name of the site so she can''t come see her ring! It was really hard to keep this a secret from her, but I told her all about all of the wonderful people I''ve met here and she was actually really excited that I was showing such an interest in this stuff. So while I didn''t propose on this trip, it was still a fantastic vacation and we did grow a little closer.

As for the actual vacation, it was amazing! I had never been to Yosemite National Park, but it is fantastic! We did end up climbing the half dome, which took us 14 hours to complete, so we were exhausted. But the rest of the park was amazing as well. I promise to post pics later, but my computer hard drive decided to not work when I got back to the office, so I''m on a borrowed computer right now. The other fun thing that happened was that the car broke down on the way out of Yosemite in the little town of Lee Vining, CA. He had to get it towed to Carson City, NV and then we stayed in Reno, NV for the next few days while it got fixed. We ended up having to switch our flights and it was a big headache. Anyway, I"ve got to give up this computer now, but I"ll try to check in later and start posting again!

Thanks to everyone for your support to this point. I"m sure I"ll need a bit more before this is over!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted in your other thread, glad you had a great time and I would love some pics when you are able!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Aw - Yay for Yosemite! I used to go there all the time as a kid with my family - it''s gorgeous! Sorry that your proposal didn''t work out- I''m sure it will be great when you do!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Dockman, I think we were there at the same time :)

We just got back, we were in Yosemite on Sunday and Monday. We got there kind of late on Sun. morning, so we decided to hike from the valley floor to Sentinel Dome on Sunday--the trail is steeper than the Half Dome, but shorter. There''s no way the Half Dome trail needs to be that long...17 miles for a 4,000 foot altitude gain? It''s nuts! D went ahead and did the Half Dome trail the next day, but it only took him about 7 hours or so? You must have felt near death at 14 hours! I''ve definitely exhausted myself getting up to the summit of some mountains and it''s a bit scary. I''m glad you both got down safe, sounds like it was miserable!

While D was summiting, I was getting over to El Cap and managed to cut my ankle on a rock, requiring some stitches, haha.

I''m glad you had a good time and I can understand why you felt it might not be the best time to propose. The cables are a bit scary, and let''s face it--when you''re that exhausted, sweaty and swollen, it''s not exactly a romantic setting unless you absolutely love hiking :) You''ll have a great proposal!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I would have been wiped out after an hour of that. I''m glad to hear you had a good chance to talk with her about getting engaged, and have an idea how she feels about it. It sounds promising, and I can almost guarantee she''s going to be itching with curiosity about the ring now!
9.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I promised some pics, so here they are: First up, a view of Half Dome from the parking lot where we were staying

half_dome_parking_lot.JPG

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Next is a side view of Half Dome as seen from Glacier Point

half_dome_1.JPG

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
This is a view of the cables that you have to climb to get to the top. Those little dots on the side of the mountain are people!

cables.JPG

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Finally a couple of views from the top

view_from_top.JPG

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock

view_from_top_2.JPG

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
And lastly, for those that haven''t been there before, a view of all of Yosemite Valley. You can see Half Dome in the pic towards the center.

yosemite_valley.JPG

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 11:12:36 AM
Author: geckodani
Aw - Yay for Yosemite! I used to go there all the time as a kid with my family - it''s gorgeous! Sorry that your proposal didn''t work out- I''m sure it will be great when you do!

Yeah, it was my first time and I loved it!! I''m sure my proposal will work out eventually. Thanks for the kind words!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 11:54:38 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

We just got back, we were in Yosemite on Sunday and Monday. We got there kind of late on Sun. morning, so we decided to hike from the valley floor to Sentinel Dome on Sunday--the trail is steeper than the Half Dome, but shorter. There''s no way the Half Dome trail needs to be that long...17 miles for a 4,000 foot altitude gain? It''s nuts! D went ahead and did the Half Dome trail the next day, but it only took him about 7 hours or so? You must have felt near death at 14 hours! I''ve definitely exhausted myself getting up to the summit of some mountains and it''s a bit scary. I''m glad you both got down safe, sounds like it was miserable!

While D was summiting, I was getting over to El Cap and managed to cut my ankle on a rock, requiring some stitches, haha.

I''m glad you had a good time and I can understand why you felt it might not be the best time to propose. The cables are a bit scary, and let''s face it--when you''re that exhausted, sweaty and swollen, it''s not exactly a romantic setting unless you absolutely love hiking :) You''ll have a great proposal!

NEL-

Thanks for all the kind words. I think we missed each other by a day. We actually left on Sat, but our car broke down on the way out in the town of Lee Vining, CA, so we ended up getting towed to Carson City and then had to get flights out of Reno. It pushed us back a few days.

If it only took D 7 hours to do Half Dome, then he is in much better shape than I am!! We were really slow and it took us 14 hours total. But we were resting and enjoying our hike and weren''t trying to break any records. It was still a really long hike though.

Sorry to hear about your ankle.
8.gif
That''s a bummer. We did a little bouldering over by El Cap and it was actually pretty fun. El Cap was soo cool, I wish we could have climbed it, but that''ll have to wait until next time!

And yeah, it turned out to be not as romantic as I thought it would be. Neither of us is an avid hiker, but since we were there, we thought we''d just do it. I also didn''t plan on her Dad coming with us, so I thought it would just be me and her. Oh well. Now get to plan a really great proposal all over again!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 12:04:21 PM
Author: Selkie
Wow, I would have been wiped out after an hour of that. I''m glad to hear you had a good chance to talk with her about getting engaged, and have an idea how she feels about it. It sounds promising, and I can almost guarantee she''s going to be itching with curiosity about the ring now!
9.gif

Selkie-

Yeah, it was exhausting, but we made it! I even got the shirt to prove it.
3.gif
It was really good that we had a chance to talk and now we''re on the same page and there are no more secrets, which I feel good about. She still doesn''t know when I''m going to propose, and neither do I, but that will be a surprise, which is good. I hope she gets itchy for the ring. That''ll make my life much easier!

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Too bad Dockman3 - but it sounds like you still had a wonderful time! Refresh my memory: Was she expecting an engagement? Did she know about the ring?
Cheers,
Rob

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 9:41:16 AM
Author: dockman3

Date: 8/28/2008 11:54:38 AM

NEL-

Thanks for all the kind words. I think we missed each other by a day. We actually left on Sat, but our car broke down on the way out in the town of Lee Vining, CA, so we ended up getting towed to Carson City and then had to get flights out of Reno. It pushed us back a few days.

If it only took D 7 hours to do Half Dome, then he is in much better shape than I am!! We were really slow and it took us 14 hours total. But we were resting and enjoying our hike and weren''t trying to break any records. It was still a really long hike though.

Sorry to hear about your ankle.
8.gif
That''s a bummer. We did a little bouldering over by El Cap and it was actually pretty fun. El Cap was soo cool, I wish we could have climbed it, but that''ll have to wait until next time!

And yeah, it turned out to be not as romantic as I thought it would be. Neither of us is an avid hiker, but since we were there, we thought we''d just do it. I also didn''t plan on her Dad coming with us, so I thought it would just be me and her. Oh well. Now get to plan a really great proposal all over again!
Oh my gosh, I''m so sorry to hear about your car issues! I hope they''re all cleared up...what timing
14.gif

I''m so glad you enjoyed the hike! While I was getting stitched up I asked the doctor about the injuries/deaths on half dome. There have only been 4 (deaths) this year--one guy had a heart attack, one guy fell whle outside the cables and 2 tried climbing it before the cables were up (insane!). Dan said he saw several people climbing down on the outside of the cables, which is terrible since if they slipped there would be absolutley nothing to stop them. Anyway, it''s a gorgeous view from up there and it''s great that you''ve done it!

You''re right, now you can concentrate on planning another great proposal and I''m glad that she knows you have the ring and are planning something. Again, congrats on the hike! Hikes should be enjoyed--we took the 4 mile trail up to Glacier Point, then continued up a couple more miles to the Sentinel Dome and it took me longer than it took Dan to do the longer half-dome trail, so I''m definitely the type of hiker that likes to take in all the surroundings, too!

The pictures are gorgeous!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 9:44:11 AM
Author: rob09
Too bad Dockman3 - but it sounds like you still had a wonderful time! Refresh my memory: Was she expecting an engagement? Did she know about the ring?

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

No, she was not expecting it and didn''t know I had the ring. She wanted me to wait until next May to propose, so it would have been a total surprise. And yes, I did have a wonderful time!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 9:50:55 AM

Oh my gosh, I''m so sorry to hear about your car issues! I hope they''re all cleared up...what timing
14.gif

I''m so glad you enjoyed the hike! While I was getting stitched up I asked the doctor about the injuries/deaths on half dome. There have only been 4 (deaths) this year--one guy had a heart attack, one guy fell whle outside the cables and 2 tried climbing it before the cables were up (insane!). Dan said he saw several people climbing down on the outside of the cables, which is terrible since if they slipped there would be absolutley nothing to stop them. Anyway, it''s a gorgeous view from up there and it''s great that you''ve done it!

You''re right, now you can concentrate on planning another great proposal and I''m glad that she knows you have the ring and are planning something. Again, congrats on the hike! Hikes should be enjoyed--we took the 4 mile trail up to Glacier Point, then continued up a couple more miles to the Sentinel Dome and it took me longer than it took Dan to do the longer half-dome trail, so I''m definitely the type of hiker that likes to take in all the surroundings, too!

The pictures are gorgeous!

Yeah, the car troubles are all worked out. Turns out it was just a battery cable that frayed. No big deal, but since it was late Sat night, we had to wait until Monday to get it fixed.

I saw plenty of people going down outside the cables. They are nuts. I had to go down backwards, like I was repelling, just so I wouldn''t freak out from the heights!

Next time we go, I''d like to do the Glacier point hike and maybe Cloud''s Rest, but we''ll have to see. I''ll be sure to keep you posted on any plans I''ve got cooking!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you had a good time. Your pictures look fantastic! I've never been out that direction, so it was neat to see. That's good that she seems to be open to your proposal! Hopefully that "right" moment will come to you later on.
2.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dockman! I just saw this post. The pics look fantastic! It sounds like you had a great trip, despite some unexpected difficulties with the dome (but, you climbed a 5000 foot rock together--how awesome is that). I am glad that your SO is being more open about the engagement, too. I think it is great that you made it into something that the two of you can joke about.

Also, sorry to hear about your computer. Hope it is fixed now.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/2/2008 1:29:15 AM
Author: katamari
Hi Dockman! I just saw this post. The pics look fantastic! It sounds like you had a great trip, despite some unexpected difficulties with the dome (but, you climbed a 5000 foot rock together--how awesome is that). I am glad that your SO is being more open about the engagement, too. I think it is great that you made it into something that the two of you can joke about.

Also, sorry to hear about your computer. Hope it is fixed now.

Yeah, the climb was pretty awesome and the picture of the cables is now my desktop background on my newly fixed computer!! I just got it up and running last night, so I''m trying to catch up on everything that I missed online.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, awesome, I always wanted to go to Yosemite, I was only 1 hr away one time but I had too much work to do or else I would have gone to check it out! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures, I love them!!!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 6:11:09 PM
Author: Skippy123
Wow, awesome, I always wanted to go to Yosemite, I was only 1 hr away one time but I had too much work to do or else I would have gone to check it out! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures, I love them!!!

You''re very welcome! I would highly recommend going there, even if its only for one day to check it out. It is simply stunning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results