shape
carat
color
clarity

Back from SARSville......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,
Its been a very long time. I''ve had one hell of a 1.5 mhts. Let me summarize this for you:
- I was put on home isolation for taking care of a "possible SARS" patient on May 23rd which lasted till midnight of June 3rd.
- I was supposed to move on May 31st, but since I was on home isolation, couldnt. I couldnt see **anyone**. It was brutal. It sounds nice to be able to be home for 10 days to do nothing, untill you''re told you have to & have NO contact with the outside world.
- I had family drop off groceries at my door cause I couldnt even get anything delivered cause then I would have to interact with the delivery person. :(
- So, I''m set to move all my stuff on June 4th. Only, I get a call early that morning that my uncle (whom I''m very close to) had a major heart attack & died (at 6:30am). I''m a bit insane at this point. Moving that day was very hard.
- Another blow comes at about 2pm when my unit manager calls me & says that the hospital has reassigned me to the new SARS unit & I dont have a choice. If I want a job, I have to work there. Nice!! Thank you very F***ing much!! By this point I didnt give a rats ass what I said to her & believe me, I said a few things. Only thing, I knew she wasnt going to fire me for insubordination cause I''m a critical care nurse & we''re the ones they want. Besides, I understand there were quite a few resignations over this.
If you''re from Toronto, one of the nurses went very public with the media over how the hospital dealt with this & with us. They didnt do this as any goodness to the community or to the general public. The hospial administration grabbed this opportunity for some notoriety & fame.
- My unit gets shut down & revamped with negative pressure isolation rooms to the cost of about $1 Mill. Yes, you read that right. Only thing, we''ve been fighting for a state of the art CCU for yrs & no go. Then the old unit gets all this stuff? We''re still no closer to getting the new unit we need. What a bunch of BS & waste of funds!! So, my unit gets 10 new isolation rooms, the med-surg ICU has 5, the 14th floor has 7. Well, well, well....do you know that the CCU didnt get ONE SARS patiet!! Again, a total waste of $$$. My unit co-workers were shipped all over the hospital, working in units we didnt know anything about & for nothing.

You can tell I''m pissed. So far, we lost 5 full time nurses on my unit alone from all of this. There have been truckloads of nurses that have left or some that refuse to work overtime. I found out yesterday that if you know how to work in dialysis you''ll automatically get double time. This small unit was 5 nurses short today. :( On my unit, we''re short everyday about 1-2 nurses. Doesnt sound like much, but who will be there to watch the ventilators or balloon pumps (very advanced monitoring)?? The news media hasnt said jack about any of this. So, Leonid or Kirk or anyone from Toronto, DONT GET SICK! Or at least, stay out of St.M. hospital.
angryfire.gif

Oh forgot to mention, I did take care of actual SARS patients. I looked like a space creature with all the crap I had to wear. It was very hot & working conditions sucked. The double time I got paid, was not worth it. I didnt ask for it, & I didnt want to work there. There was maybe 10% volunteers & 90% forced staff.

Ok, my rant is over. Just wanted to let you know I was still alive but just too upset to talk to anyone or participate in any groups. I couldnt post a pic of what I looked like. I''m going to try. If I cant, I''ll see if I can get someone to post it for me.

Judy
:)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wont work. I'll have to ask someone to do it for me.

Judy
:)

I didnt work on my unit, but I did work on the Medical-Surgical ICU.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Judy, I wondered often about you and the SARS thing. What a pain in the a$$ you've suffered!
eek.gif

But now you're here with us, so enjoy all these beautiful stones!
wavey.gif
1.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Good to CCU again.

SARS hasn't gotten much play in the last month or so. In fact your mention of it is the first I'd heard of it in quite a while. (I guess that's good.)

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
>>Oh forgot to mention, I did take care of actual SARS patients. <<

Aaack! Leonid, should she be allowed to post here? We could all become exposed to SARS!!! Shouldn't ccuheartnurse be isolated in a secure forum?

Just kidding of course...good to see you here Judy, and in good fiesty health! From what I've read it looks like the SARS epidemic has finally turned a corner? I hope that's true. Will you be joining the half million Stones fans?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back Judy!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor Judy! I finally read this. I knew some of the saga but not other parts. Aren't there any good newspapers in Toronto interested in showing what the response to SARS *really* meant to health care?

read.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Good to see you back Judy. I have been thinking about you & the whole SARS thing. Sorry it's been such a intrusion in your life.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Judy, glad that you're okay
I've thought about you too
Wondered how and where you've been
The forum has missed you...

Take care....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results