shape
carat
color
clarity

Back from Ireland! Pictures!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was definitely my favorite trip yet. So first of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone for all of your help planning our itinerary, and for helping me pack.

We really had an amazing time. I wish we could have stayed longer. No, wait--I wish we could have just stayed forever. Seriously. DH and I have already decided that we''re going to try to go back again next summer, we loved it that much.

We started with the trip with two nights in Dublin. We had a good time walking around the city centre and taking in the typical touristy sights. I especially enjoyed the Trinity College tour and the Book of Kells. I also really enjoyed the Kilmainham Gaol tour.

We spent our first night out in Dublin in the Temple Bar area and inadvertently crashed someone''s 30th birthday party in one of the pubs. We went in there because there was a sign out front advertising "Traditional Music Tonight" only to find that it was one guitarist playing Johnny Cash. Hmmm. Anyway, back to the party crashing . . . at first we thought it was a bit strange that everyone in the pub *really* seemed to know each other well. It wasn''t until we noticed all of the printed photos of this *one particular* girl taped up onto the walls that we looked a bit harder and saw the "Happy 30th Birthday" banners and balloons all around the ceilings. One of the birthday girl''s friends kept chatting me up so when we asked him if we were party crashing he introduced us to the guest of honor. She was great about it and told us to stay, so we did and had a lot of fun.

From Dublin we drove to Dingle through Kilkenny and Tipperary. Kilkenny was super cute, so we stopped and took in a yummy lunch at the Nostalgia Cafe. We made a pit stop in Tipperary and then headed for Dingle for the next four nights. Can I just say that I could happily curl up in the Greenmount House B&B and spend the rest of my life in Dingle? I really would.

We had our two best meals in Dingle at the Half Door Inn and Out of the Blue. My lobster at Out of the Blue was insanely delicious. I also had my favorite fish and chips at John Benny Moriarty''s in Dingle, too. And I pretty much tried fish and chips *everywhere* we went, so I had a good basis for comparison. And Deco, you''ll be happy to hear that we ate Murphy''s ice cream *every* day in Dingle. Oh my gosh, it was amazing.

We met so many great people there, and most of the better nights we had were in Dingle. We stayed out very late with a couple of lawyers from Chicago one night and had a blast with them. Another night we listened to trad music all night and hung out with a couple from Yorkshire who have been coming to Dingle this holiday weekend every year for 23 years! Can you imagine? They were wonderful.

We did the Slea Head drive on our first full day in Dingle. It was really wonderful. DH LOVED driving a manual car on the left side of the road, although I should admit that I was grabbing the dash and gently
11.gif
reminding him to slow down every now and then. I settled down after the first day though, and to DH''s credit he did not once complain about all of my "help." We had a ton of fun that day doing the drive, our stop at Kilmalkedar Church was my favorite. It was pretty awesome being in such an old, holy place. I had read that people touch thumbs through the hole in the Ogham stone in front of the church and swear to God to seal a deal, so DH and I touched thumbs and renewed our vows there. Pretty cool.

Our second full day in Dingle we drove the Conor Pass and continued straight on it to Brandon Point on a recommendation from someone we met the day before. Wow--Brandon Point was amazing. We were the only people there, and we spent a lot of time sitting on the edge of the point with our legs dangling over the side. As we were sitting there we spotted a school of dolphins in the water below, which was pretty amazing.

Our third day in Dingle DH and I decided to go back on Conor Pass to the little waterfall that we visited the day before. The day before, DH and my sister''s fiance found a great lake after climbing up the rocks a bit, and we wanted to go back and relax there for a while just the two of us. We spent some time up there alone with a bunch of sheep, and it was the most relaxed I''ve been in a while. The magic was ultimately ruined by a family who climbed up and started screaming across the lake to each other, so we left, but it was a great couple of hours.

I was sad to leave Dingle but we left after our fourth night for Galway via the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Wow. I don''t really think there''s much to say about either, except that I now know why so much great literature has come out of such a small country--it must be hard not to be inspired living in such a phenomenally beautiful country. We explored The Burren along the coastline, and that was really incredible. Standing so close to the edge was scary at times, but worth it.

We spent our last two nights in Galway. There was a festival going on, so it was really fun being out in the streets. There was great music, street dancers, the whole nine. I wasn''t super enthralled with Galway itself, but I''m glad we visited. We had the two worst dinners there, and I was bummed that my last fish and chips was bad, because man will I miss that meal now that I''m back in the states.

We visited Connemara National Park, Kylemore Abbey, and the Ashford Castle our last full day there. Connemara was gorgeous. We only did the 45 minute hike, but when DH and I go back we plan on doing the full shebang because we''d love to spend more time there. The white horses there were really stunning, as well. Kylemore Abbey was shockingly beautiful in real life. I''m really glad we stopped there. (Thanks for the rec, Zoe!) As we were walking in we saw a poster advertising a school choir that was performing there that very morning, and lo and behold--the choir was from our home state, Illinois! So funny. I chatted with one of the chaperones in the gift shop and gave her my condolences that she was traveling internationally with 85 high school students. What a strange coincidence. I bought a gorgeous little ceramic creamer at Kylemore Abbey, can''t wait to use it.

Overall, amazing trip. DH loved the driving. We all loved the food. I drank far more Guinness and Bulmers than I would have imagined. The landscape was so wonderful that we found ourselves pulling over nearly three times an hour to take pictures or just to take it all in. I was in heaven with all of the Border Collies and cows and horses and sheep everywhere. We met a gorgeous Newfoundland name Bruan in Dingle, and I thought of NEL''s big boys. The people were lovely. The history and the land and the sights were to die for. I cannot wait to visit again.

Now, on to the pictures!

IrelandSightsCollage3.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only negative about our time in Ireland was that I missed my furbabies so very badly. At least there were a lot of other animals there to keep me smiling.

IrelandCollageAnimals.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We bought the most amazing olives from the Dingle farmer''s market. One batch were stuffed with hot chilis, the other with sweet peppers. And we bought a block of feta that was so much better than the feta I had in Greece I ate the entire thing before we reached the Cliffs.

IrelandCollageFood.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took over 1,000 pictures. I can''t even begin to tell you how difficult it was to narrow them down.

IrelandNatureCollage1.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Home looks very drab to me at the moment.

IrelandNatureCollage2.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to go back! There''s so much more to see.

IrelandSightsCollage1.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one. I made collages because I knew I''d be tempted to post all 1,000 pictures on here if I didn''t.
Thanks so much for looking. And thanks again to everyone for all of your help.
To all of my Irish PS friends, I adore your country. I really do.

IrelandSightsCollage2.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmmmm.
Such beautiful pics.
30.gif

I'm jealous.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, Sounds like a awesome trip, your pics are beautiful and it sounds like you and DH had some quality time! I am envious of you already planning your return! I have to say that of all the places I have been (not too many, France, all over US and Canada, Caribean, mexico and Ireland) Ireland was the place that felt like home, you are welcomed and there is something amazing to look at everywhere you turn, it seems from your post you had the same experience. I am so glad. More pics please!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything looks so wonderful!! Thank you for posting the review and the pictures (feel free to post more, we want to see
1.gif
)! Sounds like you had a really fantastic trip
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Scotland/Ireland is on our shortlist of honeymoon choices, so I'm especially enjoying your story!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HAVEN!!! I was wondering if you were back yet! OMG, the pics are beautiful. And it looks like the weather was perfect, am I right?
36.gif

OK, when you go back, you''re taking me with you!
16.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny--You would have a field day in Ireland! I''m a HORRIBLE photographer, and we still ended up with some decent shots. I can''t even imagine how beautiful the pictures would be if you took them.

lcom--We had the same experience. It felt like home, absolutely. I haven''t been too many places, but now that I''ve been to Ireland I may forgo going to many more in order to get back there.

yssie--If you choose Ireland for your honeymoon, you will not be sorry. If you have any questions about our short experience there, ask! I''ll be happy to talk about Ireland for a long time.

Irishgrrrl--Yes! The weather was PERFECT. It drizzled a tiny bit our very first hour in Dublin, and then on an off for an hour or two on our last full day, but that was it. AND, that last day we were in Connemara National Park for all of the drizzling and it was really beautiful.

I''ll definitely post more pics soon, you don''t have to ask me twice. It take me a while to put those collages together, though!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear you had a great time, Haven! The photos are amazing. I''ve asked DH if he''d like to go to Ireland for our summer holidays and I may just have to show him this thread to convince him.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Eeeek! I''m so glad you enjoyed it! You reminded me that I need to buy my camera....2 1/2 weeks!

Your pictures are incredible.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Haven! I''m off to stalk your planning threads
3.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, I''m SO glad you had a wonderful time! It''s almost beyond imagining that you would have had a bad one there. Sounds like it was a ball. Aren''t the people just the most marvelous? Your photos brought back so many memories. :)

One of these days I''m going to get back there, and do Scotland and England too: the boy is dying to see them too.....

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Those pictures are awesome!!!!! So glad you had a great time!!!!!! Now, I''m dreaming of going over there!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! I love Ireland. Did you go to the North at all? I loved the giant''s causeway...

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am so jelous, I really miss Ireland. I am so deperate for my DH to finish his undergrad so we can move to Belfast. I loved living in Dublin, but Queen''s is the only school on the island who does my specialty.

I have mixed feelings about Kylemore Abby. We went when I was ten and it is immpossibly beautiful. However, forever after, when I was being dificult, my parents threatend to send me there and let the nuns deal with me. I don''t think even the surrondings would have been worth it.

If you go back, you should see the center and north of the country, not as many vistas, but some really cool cultural stuff. Sligo inspired much of Yeats work, their is castletown house, an amazing mansion from the 1700s, the rock of Cashel which was the seat of government and religion for south Ireland and where Brian Boru is from, Newgrange, an neolithic tomb that is massive stone slabs covered in earth, etc.

Sigh, here I sit in a small farming town with nothing to do but work and drink beer as that is a BIG deal here and dream of the day I can go back. My only reservation is I would love to start step dancing again and I am sure I will have to be put into a class with the five year olds. Still worth it though.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princesss--Yes, you will definitely want a camera! I can''t wait to hear about your trip!

Luckyeshe--We can dream together. I have a serious case of wanderlust now, and it''s going to be agony to wait an entire year to go back.

dreamer--We didn''t go to the north on this trip. It was super short, only 8 nights in Ireland, and we really wanted to experience the places we visited. I definitely want to go to Northern Ireland on our next visit.

brazen--That''s hilarious about your father''s Kylemore Abbey threat! We learned that they had to shut the school down this year because, as someone told us, they plain ran out of nuns. Hopefully that will ease your fears!
There is just so much to see and do there that I feel I''ll want to spend every summer in Ireland from now on. I''d really like to go to Sligo, and we almost went to the rock of Cashel on our drive from Dublin to Dingle but we decided to skip it this time because it was going to be a long day.
I have a great mental image of you dancing with a bunch of five year olds now, by the way!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I''m starting to think you and LaurenThePartier got together and conspired to make everyone here as jealous as possible. If that''s the case, job well done to both of you.
3.gif
There''s a distinct possibility I''d sell my stepson to go to Ireland! Your pictures are amazing, and now I just want to go even more!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Haven, I loved your pictures! Beautiful. I love the photograph of the quote chalked in white; I can''t say why I loved it, because it was sad and lonely, but for some reason I guess I did. Your pictures came out wonderfully.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doodle--Ha! You''re too funny. LTP takes amazing pictures, that''s for sure.

Indy--I love that picture, too.

Here are some more collages. I thought this little girl was too cute trying to pick up her pup:

littlegirlwithdoggiecollage.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are just random little things I photographed:

IrelandCollageFunShots.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We explored The Burren along the coast and it was AMAZING.

IrelandCollageTheBurren.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is my favorite picture from the entire trip. It''s just a stone wall that ran alongside the land on which the Gallarus Oratory sits. For whatever reason, it''s my favorite.

IrelandFavPic.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
CDN--I hope you can convince him to go! I was the one who was all excited about Ireland before we left, and now after visiting my husband keeps saying that he''s looking forward to going back.

ksinger--The people are marvelous. I actually didn''t meet one disagreeable person while we were there, it was so refreshing. We''d like to do an England and Scotland trip, as well. I spent some time in a Dingle pub talking to a man from Scotland and he very much believed that we need to get to Scotland as soon as possible.
I studied in England during one summer of college and I haven''t been back since. I actually never thought I would find a place that I love more than Stratford, but Dingle has stolen my heart.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Haven, you sound like you had an amazing time and your photos are incredible! I had a Connemara pony when I was a teenager and she looked exactly like the pony in your photo.
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been waiting for these! I''m SO happy that you love Ireland as much as you do. It''s a magical place, isn''t it? We can''t wait to go back, hopefully in a few years. Our focus will be the Dingle area since we didn''t visit that area when we were there. I''m glad you loved Connemara and Kylemore Abbey. Your pictures are great!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing, Haven. I want to go to Ireland! Have never been, but your photos are inspiring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results