shape
carat
color
clarity

Back for Dress Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,
Haven't been to this forum lately.. no $ for shopping means stay away from the Shopping threads!

I'm going to a day-time (ok, actually, I don't know the time but assume we'll arrive around 3-4, have dinner, etc..), adult birthday party in late April. I would love any/all suggestions on something to wear. It will be somewhere around 50-60 degrees, I assume, although the party is indoors. I assume most people won't be very fancy. It's at someone's house, and I can't afford to buy something very expensive right now.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Apricait, thanks for the links! I do like the color of the 2nd one but not sure that style will look good on me. I guess I have to go try on some things. I haven''t tried on a wrap dress in a long time so I don''t know how that would look on my frame.

Anyone else have any ideas?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I would keep an eye on the sale section of J Crew - they often put their dresses on sale, and if you google it you can usually find additional discounts on top of that.

I like this out of what''s up now, because you could easily dress it up or down. I find their stuff to be way better made than Ann Taylor or Banana Republic, in general, so I think its worth investing a bit of extra $$ in.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:09:47 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I would keep an eye on the sale section of J Crew - they often put their dresses on sale, and if you google it you can usually find additional discounts on top of that.

I like this out of what's up now, because you could easily dress it up or down. I find their stuff to be way better made than Ann Taylor or Banana Republic, in general, so I think its worth investing a bit of extra $$ in.

Thanks Amber. I'll look into J Crew. Guess I just need to get out there and start looking, try on some stuff. I guess part of the problem is that I'm not sure what is considered too fancy or right for the season. Anyone have some good guidelines?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 6:40:53 PM
Author: dixie94

Thanks Amber. I''ll look into J Crew. Guess I just need to get out there and start looking, try on some stuff. I guess part of the problem is that I''m not sure what is considered too fancy or right for the season. Anyone have some good guidelines?

Definitely get out there and try some stuff on. In terms of fanciness, I would stay away from "fancy" fabrics like chiffon, satin, and shiny silks for day time. I''d also stick with something on the shorter side - the maxi dresses out right now are cute, but they can be tricky, and if you want something versatile that''s probably not the best bet.

I''d recommend either a shirt-style dress, a wrap dress, or a sheath dress. Any of these in a nice cotton sateen (think a nice khaki-like material) or a jersey would be appropriate - they can be dressed up or down, and if you get one in a basic color or colors, it can be accessorized many different ways.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 8:43:52 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

Definitely get out there and try some stuff on. In terms of fanciness, I would stay away from ''fancy'' fabrics like chiffon, satin, and shiny silks for day time. I''d also stick with something on the shorter side - the maxi dresses out right now are cute, but they can be tricky, and if you want something versatile that''s probably not the best bet.

I''d recommend either a shirt-style dress, a wrap dress, or a sheath dress. Any of these in a nice cotton sateen (think a nice khaki-like material) or a jersey would be appropriate - they can be dressed up or down, and if you get one in a basic color or colors, it can be accessorized many different ways.
''

Hi Amber,
Sorry it''s taken me so long to respond. I actually forgot I posted this question! That''s what happens when you never go shopping, you never go to the shopping forums either!

Thanks for the tips! They are helpful b/c I haven''t been quite sure what to get. I may end up wearing pants and a cute top and heels but I wouldn''t mind finding a dress. Part of my problem is that I lost some weight awhile back and really haven''t done much shopping since. I have suits for my old job and casual every-day wear but very little in between. You''re right, I really need to get out there and try some stuff on!
Thanks again for giving me some guidelines!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results