shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Shower Gifts

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My sister is throwing her DIL a baby shower later this month. I want to get her a Diaper Genie, plus a case of refills. Has anyone used one, is this a good gift to get her? I am also getting her a spa certificate so she once she is able she can go for a 1/2 day of pampering after the baby is born.

Also, what little trinket items are good to get? My sister wants to have a "Wishing Well" for little things, like rattles, washcloths, baby shampoo, etc.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My favorite small baby gift to give is a laundry basket full of tiny hangers, dreft detergent, I'll throw in a couple of onesies, a blanket. Nothing crazy, just the essentials that really help. My primary gift is usually artsy or something they wouldn't buy for themselves, so I either give this in conjunction with the primary or when I meet the baby.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't get her a Diaper Genie unless she registered for one. I have a bunch of friends who say they are a waste of money, and a bunch of others who say you can't live without them. Kind of like bottle warmers...some love them, others say they are a waste.

Little things...I'd get those link things. Babies LOVE those and they are really useful. You can find them anywhere. I'd also get some little toys like rattles, bath toys, any of those Baby Einstein balls/rattles/music things.

I think the spa certificate is the best gift. Even better if you will babysit while she's gone!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Spa voucher - what a lovely idea! I would have loved that, but I wouldn't have used it while I had a newborn, so I would make sure it has a very long 'use by' date. Some people manage to leave babies with sitters and pumped milk but I never managed to leave Amelia with anyone until she was around 6 months. I didn't use a pump and would have 'leaked' anyway, so it was easier just to keep her with me until she was on solids. THEN I would have enjoyed every minute of a spa day - that's when I'd have used the voucher and given profound thanks to you for thinking of it. ;))

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on no DiaperGenie unless she asked for one. I personally hated mine but have heard some people love them. I think a mommy gift is a great idea! DS is 9 months old and my personal favorite gifts were:

Personalized stuff - I loved seeing my unborn baby's name on stuff. It was so cute!
Onesie stickers - we got these stickers for 0-24 months that we stick on DS's shirt once per month and take his picture. LOVE them!
Itzbeen timer
Memory box - N was born in the year of the tiger and MIL got us a birth year box like this one: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/2011-birth-year-box
Sleep sacks - it's nice to have a lot of these in my opinion
Thank you notes!

Things I didn't use:

bath stuff - DS has sensitive skin so I couldn't use any of it
outfits - some people got us "dressy" outfits and DS never wore them
pacifiers - we got a billion of them
hangers - we have no closet space so everything is in the dresser
little toys/rattles - got a billion of those too

I also like the links - we attach them to the carseat, the stroller, the grocery cart and still use them now that DS is 9 months old. I appreciated getting gifts that I could use once DS was more sturdy - like 3 or 4 months old. It was nice to go shopping in my attic!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My niece just had her baby shower at work and got a lot of stuff so at least we know what she got and my sister made of list of what she has so we don't get any duplicates.

No, she did not register for any baby things, she also opted not to know the sex of the baby (or at least she hasn't told many people- I would know because my sister tells me everything. I am the one who can keep secrets).

So, based on what all of you have said I won't get her the Diaper Genie.

Italia, Lanie, JenniferW, puppmom : she got a lot of these things at her work baby shower, including a ton of onesies newborn up to 12 months. She has picked out the announcement cards and thank you notes. She has the baby's room all decorated, but I am thinking perhaps a photographer coming to the house once a month for the 1st year to photograph the baby instead of the diaper genie and spa certificate. (depends on how expensive the photographer would be). Or spa certficate and http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Gymini-Monkey-Activity/dp/B0015CE670

I have to ask my sister about the photographer, because I don't want to step on toes if they already have one in mind or don't like the one I would choose.

For the wishing well, I am thinking wash cloths, burp cloths.

Oh and my sister is doing a time capsule for the baby and the kid will open it when he/she turns 18. I think that is a neat idea!

A couple of neat things she did get was CPR classes for her and her DH (they will come to the house) and a memory box with compartments for special baby trinkets - like hair from 1st haircut, first pair of shoes, etc. I haven't seen it, but my sister said it was well made and had the family's last name engraved on it.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do the photog gift just make sure you find one whose prices are reasonable (for prints and such). I received a large gc for a photographer at my shower and discovered that while the GC covered the cost of the package we wanted (photoshoots at 4 mo, 8 mo and 12 mo and a gallery frame with 1 pic from each shoot), we couldn't afford to have any other prints made because they were astronomically expensive. It soured the whole experience for us.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Aden and Anais swaddle blankets are my go to gift.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
soocool|1304773406|2914713 said:

We thought about the monitor in your second link, but went with this one instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Handheld-Monitor-Screen/dp/B001NAATW0/ref=pd_sbs_ba_1

We LOVE it. It has a bigger screen and is digital so you don't have to worry about your neighbors being able to see through your camera :o That always freaked me out a little bit. It's only a little more than the other one but has much better features. We use the zoom a lot to see if O's eyes are open or closed.

I have a very small list of things we couldn't live without (we're very minimalist) and this monitor is on that list.

ETA: And for a small gift I agree with links. O loves his rings. We have these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Ring-Links-Rattle-Developmental/dp/B002L3T9YM/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1304795235|2914933 said:
soocool|1304773406|2914713 said:

We thought about the monitor in your second link, but went with this one instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Handheld-Monitor-Screen/dp/B001NAATW0/ref=pd_sbs_ba_1

We LOVE it. It has a bigger screen and is digital so you don't have to worry about your neighbors being able to see through your camera :o That always freaked me out a little bit. It's only a little more than the other one but has much better features. We use the zoom a lot to see if O's eyes are open or closed.

I have a very small list of things we couldn't live without (we're very minimalist) and this monitor is on that list.

Thank you! I just ordered at Amazon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results