shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Shower Gift Ideas!

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! :wavey:

So a family friend is having a baby girl next month, and her baby shower is on Saturday. She has already received the most important items for her baby including car seat (both for newborns and older kids), baby rocker, crib, bottles, baby bather, and stroller. We can't figure out what we should get her since her mom has been so wonderful to us and we want to say 'thank you' through our gift for everything she's done for us. Any ideas of what we could give her as a gift? Thanks! ::)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Are you creative? A baby diaper cake is very easy to make and unique, my daughter just made one for one of her friends that had her baby shower this weekend and she just loved it. I also like the idea of giving something for the mom.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the ideas to both of you! Unfortunately her mom has already taken it up herself to make sure every plug in their house is secured with a safety plug. I had thought about a baby diaper cake since that's what I made for my own sister when she had my nephew, but her brothers have already bought her about 10 jumbo packs of diapers! So I'm sure she won't be needing them soon. I do like the idea of something for her though, just not sure what....maybe the freebie coupons for babysitting. Maybe a nursing item that she might need?

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
What about gift certificates to some local restaurants that do takeout or a housecleaning gift certificate to make things a little easier for her once the baby arrives?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Check out her registry and see if there are any things you could bundle to make a nice basket...a baby bath supply basket with a luxe hooded towel (little giraffe or the like), or a nursing supply basket with boppy, lanisoh, nursing cover, disposable leak pads...or just a "registry catchall" of random things still left on her registry!

Otherwise, I like the idea of a few gift cards to restaurants with take out available and include menus. While its nice to offer up some babysitting time, I can promise you as a paranoid mommy to be, its going to be a bit before she would ever take you up on it, if ever.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the gift certs to yummy places to eat so she will have a good excuse for a night out with her husband later! It will be much appreciated. Also, if they have everything they NEED, I like to make them something pretty that could possibly be handed down. I made a friend a baby blanket once, and another a set of onesies with images I screen printed by hand.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! To all of those who mentioned the restaurant gift cards: We got them a $250 gift card to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, where they both LOVE to eat since it was where they had their first date! We have a $300 budget for the gift, so we have $50 extra to spend.

Edit: Charbie, I suppose you are right with the babysitting - maybe I could just offer to help her clean up the house in my spare time? I'm pretty sure having a baby leaves chores for last. I'm liking the idea of bundling things together, shampoos, creams, baby powder, pacis, etc. into a huge gift basket.

MonkeyPie, that's a creative idea, making something handmade, my mom knits and crochets, so she's thinking of maybe making the baby booties or a little hat?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
For $50, you can get a cleaning service, or you can just offer to help clean. The steakhouse sounds so great, and super sentimental too. PERFECT!

Something that I've given in the two showers I've been to have been bouncy/rocker seats. That costs about $50, and it's a great safe place to put the baby while Mommy has to do something, e.g. eat dinner, cook dinner, pee, etc. My mommy friends both loved it and tell me they use it all the time.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Miracle blanket. It really IS a miracle. About $30.
Sound machine. We have a basic homedic model. About $20.

I would consider those "the gift of sleep". :)

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks nfowife, we got them the Miracle Blanket since they already have a sound and vibration machine on their crib. We ended up spending a little more than our budget to buy a gift set of baby creams both for body and diaper rash, shampoo, baby powder, pacis, and two blankets. Thanks again everyone! ::)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
my favorite baby shower non-registry item gifts was a gift certificate to a shi-shi maternity store. i was able to splurge on something i wouldn't have done on my own.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
How about a gift cert for a massage/spa day... to get pampered?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she planning on breast feeding? If so these will come in handy
http://www.amazon.com/Milkies-Milk-Saver-Breast-Collector-Storage/dp/B001SMBRWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348180171&sr=8-1&keywords=milk+saver

Or these-
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboobies-Variety-Super-soft-Washable-Nursing/dp/B004H60BZW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348180191&sr=8-3&keywords=bamboobies

I know a lot of mom's don't think about postpartum care but I just got these and they are AMAZING. I know it's a bit much for some mom's who prefer the throw out kind but you can use them afterwards for regular periods and from ladies who've used both the disposable vs these they say it's like having a cloud down there. I got quite a few

http://pinklemonadeshop.com/

I've heard great things about these dvd's
http://www.signingtime.com/#

A moby wrap would be nice for an easy carrier
http://www.amazon.com/Moby-Wrap-Carrier-Matching-Swaddle/dp/B0081IJZFE/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1348180391&sr=1-9&keywords=moby+wrap+baby+carrier

I have a ton more ideas but they are mostly "crunchy" ideas-I didn't even bother to register and just put together a list for my DH to email out to people if they ask for gift ideas. I have very few items that can be bought at the conventional baby stores (and cloth diapering) so it makes it difficult.

You can't go wrong with a ton of nice burp cloths-or a basket filled with baby items such as organic/natural remedies for diaper rash and other things. Many babies are allergic to "conventional" treatments and these options are usually cheaper and don't cause reactions.

http://www.simplyrealmoms.com/posts/diy-baby-butt-balm-safe-for-cloth-diapers/

I also recommend a gift house for a home massage (with a "coupon" to watch the baby while she gets it done). Or reflexology or something similar. Labor is hard work (and some times traumatic for some women) and there's nothing like having someone rub all your cares away for an hour or two after doing it (I'm sure at least...haven't done it yet but boy I sure hope someone does that for me lol).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results