shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Questions

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
So DH and I were married on 09/22 and almost immediately we started receiving the 'so, when are you having babies?' question. While we are REALLY excited to start a family, we aren't planning on trying until next year. It can be a little daunting to have the same conversation with 50 different people about how we aren't going to try right away. I have also heard from a friend that we will get these questions forever and after baby number one, people will immediately start asking when we will be having baby number two..phew! Anyone else frustrated by these questions?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I definitely get frustrated because it's just so nosy! I don't mind discussing with friends who are in the same boat, but I hate how my grandmother will ask every time I see her. I've made it a point to deflect, like when my family asked if we had any good news, I exclaimed, "Yes! ... Our new sofa was delivered today." And then I started talking about my new sofa.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Lol...I just politely tell them that we're waiting until sometime towards the end of next year. I know they're all excited, but the more people that ask, the more frustrated I get!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Family - I told my mom I would try at X age (which is just a smidge over a year away :errrr: ), but that quieted her down a bit.

Everyone else, I give my usual cheeky answer - "Oh, we promised my parents that we'd try at X age, so on my X birthday, we're going to just do it once. That way, if we do end up having a baby, we can tell him/her that mommy and daddy only did it once. :-o :lol: :naughty: "

I guess the absurdity of the answer usually "encourages"/prompts people to quickly move on from the subject.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean, I love it! :lol:

DH and I have been married a year and a half and don't really have plans to start trying for a mini-us any time soon. We just bought our house in July, we'll be buying a new car soon, and, frankly, we're pretty happy with life right now, just the two of us. My BFF is getting married in October of this year and my sister is getting married in May of 2014. I don't intend to be pregnant for either wedding, and hubs and I are looking into possibly going to South Africa, possibly at the end of 2014, for probably about two weeks. Sooooo, yeah...it's gonna be awhile.

But to answer your original question Stacy...yes, it drives me bonkers. Most people know now not to mess with me, though. After I finally lost it with my mom (she bought then-FI and me baby booties the Christmas BEFORE we were married) that pretty much put an end to it.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1356817025|3342407 said:
But to answer your original question Stacy...yes, it drives me bonkers. Most people know now not to mess with me, though. After I finally lost it with my mom (she bought then-FI and me baby booties the Christmas BEFORE we were married) that pretty much put an end to it.

lmao! That is a hell of a hint that she wants grand babies! I generally just tell people our time frame, but goodness...people REALLY want me to have babies! I do think it's funny when they tell me I better get on it due to my age (I just turned 30). I mean, I know I'm not 22, but I think we're going to be just fine waiting another year or so.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1356956556|3343448 said:
vc10um|1356817025|3342407 said:

lmao! That is a hell of a hint that she wants grand babies! I generally just tell people our time frame, but goodness...people REALLY want me to have babies! I do think it's funny when they tell me I better get on it due to my age (I just turned 30). I mean, I know I'm not 22, but I think we're going to be just fine waiting another year or so.

We're going on 5 years and we did get married at 22. As soon as the wedding was over we got asked almost every week about it. To this day (and honestly, it seems to be getting worse) my DH's family nags us about it every time we see them! which is a few times a week. We live too close. That's the problem! Anyways, I just started going back to school and I have at least 2 more years to finish and I DO NOT want to have gotten a degree just to be popping out babies and be a full time mommy. When I was young and early in my faith I figured that's what I'd do, but since being in the workforce and seeing what it takes to earn a certain lifestyle, my thoughts have since changed.

I find it SO rude when people stick their noses where it doesn't belong! You're not "too old"! My sister is 37 and she got married a few months before us and still no babies. They're actually trying now, but it's no one's business!!! People in Hollywood are over 40 and having kids! Mostly because they all put their careers first, or want to do as much as they can first. Which isn't a bad thing! Honestly, people are just bored and that's why they keep asking.

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
I feel the same way about the marriage question. You're right, people mean well, but it's really none of their business! I definitely wouldn't be worried about waiting another year or two, as far as your age goes. But bottom line, try not to let it frustrate you, and just come up with cheeky answers everytime someone asks! :loopy:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results