shape
carat
color
clarity

Aye or Nay? Diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
0.605 ct G SI1 Round Ideal Cut - $1,375

I'm not sure if this is an AGS0 or not. My guess is that it isn't solely because of the depth. It all checks out in HCA though.

. Report: AGS
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 0.605
. Depth %: 63.2
. Table %: 56.2
. Crown Angle: 34.5
. Crown %: 15
. Star : 60
. Pavilion Angle: 40.9
. Pavilion %: 43.1
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 5.31-5.35X3.37
. Light Performance: 3
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

Report Link

AST_AGS-10223004.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is not an AGS0, but the ASET and IS looks good. Have you call to check if it is eye-clean?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a bit deep for my taste Justin but the images look fine. It has no cut grade as it is an Expert Selection and it has a Diamond Quality Report which does not give a cut grade. As you know, check with WF if it is eyeclean to your standards, same with all SI clarity diamonds.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Yep. I am communicating with someone about it right now. Do you think it is good if its eye clean? The price is very good. The depth is definitely off, but it looks nice. The middle of the ASET seems slightly darker... is that good or bad? It seems that the darkness is correlated with the extra depth.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 1:47:50 PM
Author: justinislooking
Yep. I am communicating with someone about it right now. Do you think it is good if its eye clean? The price is very good. The depth is definitely off, but it looks nice. The middle of the ASET seems slightly darker... is that good or bad? It seems that the darkness is correlated with the extra depth.
It is well cut but too deep for me personally and might look a bit small for the weight. The middle of the ASET is probably due to the lighting rather than the diamond.

What is the situation with this diamond, I just checked back into your other thread? This one has good proportions and might be worth looking at?

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=6107187714&weight=0.71

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah. My concern with that one was that the HCA scores when using the percentages rather than angles was slightly above 2.0. The angles kept it below 2 though. I wasn''t sure if that was a problem. That one was from Solomon Brothers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angles are more accurate than percents, Idealscope would be useful but I don''t know if SB do them...

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
What about this one? It will face up larger than the first one I posted and it is an AGS0. I''m a little concerned though, because it only scores a 2 on the HCA... is that OK? Should be less than 2 or is exactly 2 good? This diamond has better depth, but has some inclusions that may be of concern. I am going to have Bob at WhiteFlash look at it for me to make sure it is eye-clean. Would the above diamond be better though? It actually scores better on the HCA report.

G, .572 ct, SI1, AGS0
Link to diamond cert

Here are the ASET and IS for this stone.

AST_AGS-10222906.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The IS and ASET are quite good. HCA is used as a rejection tool but if ASET/IS image are available, scores up to 2.5 could be good as HCA does not take into account of the minor facets'' contribution, so a score below 2 is more conservative.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer this one Justin, there is a teeny tidge of leakage on IS but this might not be perceptible to the human eye, if Bob approves this one then well worth considering.

The HCA is used for rejection not selection, as long as the score is below 2 then that means a diamond is worth further evaluation, this is done as above with ASET and IS. A lower score is not better than a higher one. Diamonds with top symmetry which score between 2 and 3 can sometimes be good choices if you have more info on them.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
I went with the .572 ct AGS0 that I posted above. It is completely eye-clean and... its an AGS0 which makes me much happier. I was trying to convince myself of a larger stone, but I just couldn''t do it price wise. This stone is going to be beautiful.

I am also having WF custom make my setting. I am going to get something similar to this Knox setting: Hand Engraved Legacy

I am trying to incorporate a butterfly into the setting and here are the alterations that I made:

The black area will not be black in person, it just so happened that my pen tool in PS was black. The white circles represent the diamonds in the wings. I am hoping by adding beading we can make the whole wing appear to be diamond.

RingChop.jpg

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Here is the original butterfly design that I had. It just didn't seem to look enough like a butterfly for me. I thought it might be interpreted more as a bird or even worse... a bat
23.gif

Hopefully the above photo doesn't look like a bow-tie. Thats just from the black color.

wooohoo.jpeg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its going to be an exquisite ring Justin, many congrats!!

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
I''ll post up the CADs in a week or two when I get them. I appreciate everyone''s help (particularly Lorelei''s, who has responded to my bajillion posts) in finding the right stone. I know a pretty good amount about diamonds right now. It feels good to make an educated decision and get a ring that would cost significantly more in any local jeweler.

To think that I almost bought a ring from a local jeweler who was trying to convince me that EGL certs were better than AGS.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 2:39:24 PM
Author: justinislooking
I''ll post up the CADs in a week or two when I get them. I appreciate everyone''s help (particularly Lorelei''s, who has responded to my bajillion posts) in finding the right stone. I know a pretty good amount about diamonds right now. It feels good to make an educated decision and get a ring that would cost significantly more in any local jeweler.

To think that I almost bought a ring from a local jeweler who was trying to convince me that EGL certs were better than AGS.
It has been my pleasure to help Justin! You have got the hang of this stuff very quickly!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results