shape
carat
color
clarity

awkward bathroom question-please help!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ask HIM to light a match or two before leaving the bathroom....it really helps.

MoZo

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This is hilarious. I guarantee that yours smells too, and if your FI can stand it, so can you. It's part of being a human being sharing a space - get some air freshener and realize that his body is clearly working just as well as yours.

Some of you guys really use separate bathrooms just to avoid the smell? Really?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something that helps some people is to use some probiotics for a couple of weeks to change what bacteria you have in your GI Tract.

Perry

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1294350578|2816050 said:
This is hilarious. I guarantee that yours smells too, and if your FI can stand it, so can you. It's part of being a human being sharing a space - get some air freshener and realize that his body is clearly working just as well as yours.

We generally poop in the extra bathroom that we don't otherwise use. Its not that I *can't* deal... but we have the extra toilet so why not?

I will not seek out his poop scent! :bigsmile:

I had this problem with DH.

When I made him eat more fiber it stopped smelling... or smelling bad every now and then.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
quadruple-itto matches. one match always seems to do the trick for us! we aren't smokers, but snag matches at restaurants for this very reason.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elledizzy5|1294351285|2816058 said:
I will not seek out his poop scent! :bigsmile:

You could bottle the fragrance and call it Manu No. 2.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Wow, a topic near and dear to my heart :tongue: DH loves to come out of the bathroom, newspaper tucked under his arm and announce to us to stay away for atleast 30 minutes, lol. As a gag gift for Christmas I bought DH the book, 'What's your poop telling you?' I read it in about half and hour and it is hilarious!

Seriously though, we have 4 bathrooms and after DH or either of our sons has gone, I just use one of the other bathrooms, lol.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1294350578|2816050 said:

Oh, heck yes! Maybe I'm a bathroom prude but no way no how do I step in a bathroom DH or either my boys have used. No, thank you.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking probioics too.

My son has crohn's disease and there's no problem with awful smells coming from the bathroom. That's not to say others don't have that problem, just saying it hasn't been our experience.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
elledizzy5|1294346878|2815993 said:
Hudson_Hawk|1294346361|2815976 said:
I swear my poop doesn't stink either....or maybe we're just immune to our own smells???

Mine doesn't. I've sent hubby in to sniff around before.

Now THAT'S awkward!

I've sent SO in to sniff around before when I *KNEW* it smelled hahahahah. :devil:

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am always stunned when people can't be open and honest with their spouses/fiances/SOs. Surely if you are ready to marry this guy, you can simply say - honey, your poo stinks, have you thought about using some toilet spray?!?!

There are going to be bigger issues and harder conversations in your marriage than the smell of the bathroom. :shock:

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Elle, I haven't seen you posting too much lately...but ya HAD to join in on the poop convo. :D :D :D

DH courtesy flushes, and always lights a match. For the record, I know my shit stinks. DH comments on it. And his does as well. We've learned much more about each others bodily functions having to live in our 1 br/1 ba house for the past few months!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clairtek the match trick works on farts too. I keep a pack in my car for that very reason.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1294356347|2816175 said:
Clairtek the match trick works on farts too. I keep a pack in my car for that very reason.
OOOh I've gotta start carrying matches around with me! My DH loves to fart in the car and lock the windows. It's his idea of a good time for me and our friends. He won't know what hit him. :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mythbusters did this on an episode once!

They actually had Jamie um... pass gas in a bathtub so it would create visible bubbles they could catch and then tested different oder reduction techniques to see what worked best.
GREAT episode.

Matches actually work a bit! Scientifically! (but they only help with one part of the odor)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
winelover23|1294346765|2815988 said:
Absolutely teach him about the "courtesy flush". This is a key to a good marriage/friendship/co-worker relationship etc. ALWAYS courtesty flush people! Less air time is the key :D

Wino!!
Where have you been?

Should've known..... the LIW ST ladies seem to be drawn to poop!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
He's a guy. I'd just say, here. I put some air freshener/matches/incense whatever in the bathroom. USE IT. Guys aren't delicate flowers about their butts usually. While you might be cringing thinking about how you'd just die of embarrassment if he said something like that to you, most guys just wouldn't care at. all. And plenty of women too :bigsmile: Heck I can't even remember the last time I closed the door in the bathroom except to keep it warmer, lol. Though I do occasionally kick DH out of the bathroom if I'm using it, which annoys him- he likes to follow me around the house (along with the herd of cats), and that does include following me into the bathroom if he's deep into a good conversation! :rolleyes:

I do remember reading that on a genetic level people are programmed to find opposite gender close relatives bodily smells of *any* kind rather revolting. (Dunno how true it is, but maybe he's, like, your long lost half brother? OK maybe not!)

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I highly recommend lighting a match. It works!

Also, I think you'll get used to it over time. :cheeky:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have 2 bathrooms and he is not to use the upstairs one, but he does. I wouldn't have an issue w/it other than the fact that he takes a long time and w/three other people in the house, someone's going to need to get in there at some point, and then we're stuck using his bathroom that he never cleans and is filthy and it ticks me off. And he stinks. He's a guy. Quite often I do a big dramatic thing where I walk by and clutch at my throat and start gagging and stumbling around..sometimes I'll fall to the floor and throw my hand out to the kids "Save yourselves, go!" or I give him a horrible look and yell GOOD GAWD are you rotting from the inside?? Never a dull poop moment here. The upstairs bathroom has a fan in it at least..not that he turns it on of course. I have to make a big production out of holding my breath and squinting my eyes and run it to turn it on and then slam the door shut behind me.

We're not shy about it here. At all.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
honey22|1294355241|2816143 said:
I am always stunned when people can't be open and honest with their spouses/fiances/SOs. Surely if you are ready to marry this guy, you can simply say - honey, your poo stinks, have you thought about using some toilet spray?!?!

There are going to be bigger issues and harder conversations in your marriage than the smell of the bathroom. :shock:

yeah we've had some tough conversations but honestly I think he would be offended. he's not the typical guy who wouldn't care about this stuff, although if it really bothers me I will just have to tell him.

I think I have an unusually sensitive sense of smell also. I have banned him from eating raw onions (ok, well not banned him, but if he eats one then I won't be near for hours) because I am really sensitive to the smell of raw onion breath. Cooked onions are fine!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're going to marry this guy, you should be able to talk to him about subjects like bodily functions and common courtesy. You're going to have harder topics to discuss in the future. Poo stinks.

So, barring any physical ailments, courtesy flushes are essential if he's going to be in there for a while. Matches and room sprays are good for camouflaging odors afterwards. Plug in deodorizers are good for people who aren't mindful of courtesy flushing or using sprays. You don't have to have a big, formal conversation about it. Next time it happens, while he's in there, just say hey, you're stinking up the joint! Can I get a courtesy flush?! And use the matches and/or sprays I put in there for your stinky butt!

I put a container of air freshener in each bathroom. One bathroom always has rose scented spray just so I can have a laugh by saying "Yes, my shit does smell like roses!"

Someone's suggestion for using matches for farts would be a good idea, except DH farts so much that living in our house would become a fire hazard. He thinks it's funny. I finally got him to be courteous and move to an area other than where I am to fart. Sometimes he threatens to give me a dutch oven. He knows the repercussions for that would be very bad, so that prevents him from actually doing it. But he takes a lot of pleasure in threatening so we laugh about it. I told him if he ever does, it will be a double dutch oven because I'd pull him under the covers with me.

ETA: That was probably TMI.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
in our house DH's are definitely the stinkier poops. luckily, we have a 2 bath house (first time in my life i've had my *own* bathroom!) so we don't use the same one ever, really. BUT his #2's often contaminate the hallway b/c he uses the main bathroom. he uses spray & i just hold my nose when i have to walk by.

on a related note, he thinks i'm a fart-stalker. he can be anywhere in the house (he usually doesn't fart when we're in the same room) & whenever he's let one go, i come walking in the room seconds later. i'll say, "oh my god, did you fart?? that smells horrible!!" and he'll say, "why do you think i came in here?" ahhhh, the joys of married/co-habitating life :D

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1294358207|2816219 said:
We have 2 bathrooms and he is not to use the upstairs one, but he does. I wouldn't have an issue w/it other than the fact that he takes a long time and w/three other people in the house, someone's going to need to get in there at some point, and then we're stuck using his bathroom that he never cleans and is filthy and it ticks me off. And he stinks. He's a guy. Quite often I do a big dramatic thing where I walk by and clutch at my throat and start gagging and stumbling around..sometimes I'll fall to the floor and throw my hand out to the kids "Save yourselves, go!" or I give him a horrible look and yell GOOD GAWD are you rotting from the inside?? Never a dull poop moment here. The upstairs bathroom has a fan in it at least..not that he turns it on of course. I have to make a big production out of holding my breath and squinting my eyes and run it to turn it on and then slam the door shut behind me.

We're not shy about it here. At all.

love it! i'm going to try the falling to the floor routine next time i'm nearly knocked out by the stench.

really, i find it hard to believe that the FI in question does not realize his sh!t stinks! make a joke about it hun :lol: :lol: or suffer in silence. it's poop---we all do it!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Get some of those Chlorine (any brand) discs that you put in the tank.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
charbie|1294355948|2816161 said:
Elle, I haven't seen you posting too much lately...but ya HAD to join in on the poop convo. :D :D :D

DH courtesy flushes, and always lights a match. For the record, I know my shit stinks. DH comments on it. And his does as well. We've learned much more about each others bodily functions having to live in our 1 br/1 ba house for the past few months!

I can't resist poop conversations!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1294356347|2816175 said:

This is why I love you.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu66|1294358768|2816230 said:
on a related note, he thinks i'm a fart-stalker. he can be anywhere in the house (he usually doesn't fart when we're in the same room) & whenever he's let one go, i come walking in the room seconds later. i'll say, "oh my god, did you fart?? that smells horrible!!" and he'll say, "why do you think i came in here?" ahhhh, the joys of married/co-habitating life :D

OMG! This seriously cracked me up. I do the same thing!! Hahaha! He leaves the room to fart, and I run into his fart anyway, and he still gets yelled at! Teehee! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a serious issue with fart and poop smells :knockout: . Totally grosses me out. Early in our relationship I laid down the law so my husband is not allowed to fart in smelling distance of me on pain of death :halo: , and when we had one bathroom, I put some deoderizer spray in there and asked him to use it. Some brands do nothing, but others work really well. Ya just gotta tell him, there is no other way.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I make sure I get into the bathroom before DH. He's a creature of habit, and the giant bowl of Bran Flakes he eats at night before bedtime does nothing to make things smell any better. Of course we do have 4 bathrooms, so if necessary I can go into another one, but he likes our bedroom bathroom...not fun!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results