shape
carat
color
clarity

Awkward (and sort of embarrassing) problem with my dress

FarmersDaughter

Rough_Rock
I have lurked on this site from time to time but have a problem that ironically has nothing to do with rings! My situation is that I really need to find a bra or bustier for my dress...it doesn't have enough boning or structure for me to feel comfortable without one, as I am on the well endowed side (north of D). My seamstress suggested a low backed bra or bustier. However I am having the hardest time finding something that lines up with the back of the dress! I also know that there are sticky backless bra's out there, but they don't look very supportive. Any suggestions? This is sort of an awkward and embarrassing situation, I know.

ML-6185.jpg ML-6185-2.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
It also looks like with that dress corset boning will show through, so you're going to want to be really careful to buy something without boning or seams that will protrude. And it is a very low back... Something like the NuBra or Very Bare might ultimately be your best bet.

Is there a lingerie shop wherever you live? I've found that a REAL lingerie shop (not just the bra department at Macy's or similar) will have what you're looking for, or at least be able to tell you what to order. They know their stuff!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I would suggest having a seamstress add bra cups to the dress. You probably won't be able to find anything that goes quite that low in the back (and if you do, what kind of support would that really be?) and from my experience the stick on cups are not supportive at all.

Beautiful dress choice!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
mrswahs|1299962956|2870308 said:
I would suggest having a seamstress add bra cups to the dress. You probably won't be able to find anything that goes quite that low in the back (and if you do, what kind of support would that really be?) and from my experience the stick on cups are not supportive at all.

Beautiful dress choice!

This was going to be my suggestion as well. If you don't need the "suck it in" power of a corset (which, considering the back on that dress...which is STUNNING :love: , by the way...you probably don't) then I would just have formed supportive cups sewn in by your seamstress. It's what I'm having done with my dress...plus adding a little extra "oomph" to fill out the top, since I'm south of a "C" in your terms. ;))

ac719

Shiny_Rock
I also agree with getting cups sewn in. Its usually a pretty simple task to do. I asked my Aunt and showed her this pic.... *she use to be a seamstress for wedding\prom\formal gowns* and she suggested it as well!
Hope your able to get this done.
the dress is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am also north of a D and plan on getting cups sewn into my dress. I think that would work well for you since your dress has the low back

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I think having cups sewn in is a good idea, one small thing to think about though.

It was senior prom and my best friend who has DD breasts, had cups sewn into her dress. While dancing, there as quite a bit of bounce, her strap broke and luckily she was facing me so I was the only one to get a eye-full. It was pretty funny afterward and we were able to find a teacher with a few safety pins to rectify the problem.

So the lesson, make sure to ask your seamstress to re-enforce the strap seams or at least make sure they are up to the job.

also this is not an awkward question at all, girls talk about girl things/parts :cheeky:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
There's nothing to be embarrassed about! That's what forums like this are for. ;))

I too am over a D cup and I also wore a strapless dress with the cups sewn in and it worked really well. I had enough support in the bust area that I didn't have to think about it during the day and worry about how it looked.

Good luck!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1300113158|2871343 said:
There's nothing to be embarrassed about! That's what forums like this are for. ;))

I too am over a D cup and I also wore a strapless dress with the cups sewn in and it worked really well. I had enough support in the bust area that I didn't have to think about it during the day and worry about how it looked.

Good luck!

HOT this is good to hear. It just seems easier to have cups sewn in than to be fussing with a strapless bra. I am glad it worked for you!

FarmersDaughter

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the help. I have e-mailed back and forth with my seamstress. She said that she can sew in cups, but she is pretty certain that they won't provide enough support in and of themselves, especially if I plan to dance at my reception (which I do!). She said that I would want to use an adhesive bra or a low backed bra IN ADDITION TO the cups, but that a low backed bra would be the best choice because the boning would provide support, allowing the cups to be eliminated. (The problem is that cups+bra = way overstuffed looking, she said.)

This is all WAY too complicated... :???:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Best I can tell from the picture your dress is (1) cut all the way down to the very small of your back and (2) thin and completely smooth. I've been googling like mad, but I'm having a hell of a time finding anything with a low-enough back, much less on that won't show the boning through the material.

Maybe something like this or this? The reviews aren't great, but I'm not finding much else that meets your criteria.

Again - try a lingerie shop! Alternatively, call wherever it was you bought your dress and ask how brides usually deal with the issue.

Definitely a challenge - good luck!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
That dress is stunning! And you are one brave woman, I love the back on the dress. Hope I am not rude but are you way North or just a little? I think with D you can pull these of. Heck you can probably pull them of whatever the size. I am just a worrywart when it comes to support, but then I am more in the DDD area.

Have you tried back converters? Like http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Essentials-Bra-Back-Converter/dp/B002PIGC66/ref=pd_sbs_a_3 and then get a couple of racerback converter to bring he sides down even lower. It might work. Of course you also need to have some way to attach the dress to your support.

You could also try a longline, especially if you are a D, like this one http://www.amazon.com/Carnival-Womens-Invisible-Plunge-Longline/dp/B002ECF156/ref=pd_sbs_a_4

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
FarmersDaughter|1300338467|2873783 said:
Thank you for the help. I have e-mailed back and forth with my seamstress. She said that she can sew in cups, but she is pretty certain that they won't provide enough support in and of themselves, especially if I plan to dance at my reception (which I do!). She said that I would want to use an adhesive bra or a low backed bra IN ADDITION TO the cups, but that a low backed bra would be the best choice because the boning would provide support, allowing the cups to be eliminated. (The problem is that cups+bra = way overstuffed looking, she said.)

Honestly? I would seek a second opinion from another seamstress because a low backed bra with boning in a fitted dress like that is going to be obvious under the dress and not in the way that you want.

If the dress fits you properly then having the cups sewn should be more than enough support. My dress was backless and I looked like I had no boobs before the cups were sewn in. I was amazed at how much support and cleavage they gave me. :naughty:

If you don't believe it, have a quick look at my wedding pics because the photos speak for themselves.

Maybe you could convince the seamstress to sew them in first and let you try it on. They won't damage the dress, mine were just tacked in on three points (they were tear dropped shaped).

If she wont let you try it out I would take the dress elsewhere. good luck!

Eta, just realized my first post said strapless and not backless. Slg47, ive never worn anything backless before because I just can't go without a bra so I was very impressed with how the cups worked out.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
FarmersDaughter|1300338467|2873783 said:

My gut instinct with your issue was to do a combo of adhesive bra (the ones that are thin and tap-like) to give yourself a little extra lift and then I would get the cups put in.

I wonder if it would be possible to have her install an interior belt-type thing to keep the dress more tightly fit got your body (it looks sort of flowy and not very structured). I have some J Crew dresses that have an interior system and one of them includes a sort of strap that clips together to make you feel more secure without a bra on. If that makes sense... if it doesn't I can take a picture and post it.
ETA: I looked at the picture again and see that the gown comes down too far in the back for this option. Sorry!

Can't recall if its already been suggested but there are also these bra cups that stick to your boobs and then you can clip them together in the middle. THAT comabined with cups sewn into the gown could work. These are more than I've paid by getting them at JoAnn Fabric or the like, but its a good example.
http://www.amazon.com/Nubra-Seamles...U,B0029NC4CI,B003O541I0,B003YA6R64,B002OJHS0U

I agree with the others that a long-line bra will likely be too obvious under your gown. It might be worth ordering the one that natascha suggested, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results