shape
carat
color
clarity

aussies...help!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
We are mailing some save-the-date cards to FI's Australian relatives...and I am not sure what part of the address goes on what line! I just made it up, but if anyone could help, that would be extremely welcomed!

thanks!

Colltee

Rough_Rock
123 Green Street
Suburb
State (NSW/VIC/SA/etc)
Post code (2041 etc)
Australia

slg47

Ideal_Rock
colltee thanks!

question...does the region (Sydney) need to go on there or just the suburb?

Colltee

Rough_Rock
No probs. You can put it in before the state if you want - I do this myself, but 'by right' most don't. It'll get to where it's going just with suburb, state and post code.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if it's the same in the US but make sure you put the post code in the bottom right hand quarter/ corner of the envelope as this is where the scanner looks for it, if it's not there it will have to be hand processed and will take longer.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
The usual way is:

Ms Jane Smith
56 First Street
Suburb NSW 2014
AUSTRALIA

NSW being the state and 2014 the postcode (zipcode). You don't need to also include the city.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
MishB|1315642474|3014286 said:
The usual way is:

Ms Jane Smith
56 First Street
Suburb NSW 2014
AUSTRALIA

NSW being the state and 2014 the postcode (zipcode). You don't need to also include the city.

Agreed! :bigsmile:

Colltee

Rough_Rock
MishB|1315642474|3014286 said:
The usual way is:

Ms Jane Smith
56 First Street
Suburb NSW 2014
AUSTRALIA

LOL that's pretty much exactly what I said hours ago - there's no need to be so pedantic, I have a funny feeling a letter will get to Oz whether the country is written in all caps or not :lol: :lol:

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
No, you said the suburb, state and postcode all on different lines, whereas I have always known these to all be on the same line.

I'm sure the letter would get there addressed as you suggested, but the OP did ask for the 'correct' way to address a letter in Australia.

Australia Post addressing guidelines: http://auspost.com.au/personal/addressing-guidelines.html

Colltee

Rough_Rock
LOL - are you for real? That's hilarious :lol: Whether the postcode, suburb and state are written on the same line or not is a (scary) case of picking at straws, the OP just wanted a rough/basic idea of the general order in how to address a letter to Oz. It's not supposed to be a competition. I get letters every day addressed to me in both manners. Sorry I can't write anymore on this as I'll probably get kicked off PS. :lol:

So to the OP - yes, you better make sure you put each subject on a separate line or your save the dates might end up in Tonga.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
So I disagree with you, there's no need to get your knickers in a knot.

Incidentally, I don't think I have ever received a letter posted in Australia that was addressed as you suggested.

Did you go to school in Australia? I'm just curious.

Colltee

Rough_Rock
No I didn't go to school in Australia, like a lot of other immigrants to this multi-cultural society but I have lived her for 6 years with my Australian husband. I'm curious, why are you asking where I went to school and what, on earth has that got to do with addressing a letter :?:

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
this is funny - i wouldnt address a letter in either of these two ways :bigsmile:

I learnt to do:

Name
6 Example Street
Suburb
State
Australia

postcode i put on the right bottom corner....

i thought the suburb, state, postcode on the same line was a north american thing but ive been wrong all this time!
I wonder if the differences in how we address envelopes are a state thing? any mail i get from family/friends is addressed as above...

obviously it wont matter though, slg, Australia Post are on the ball :wavey:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow, I had no idea there were 'guidelines'...this is from the website that MishB linked
Hand addressing tips

Use envelopes pre-printed with the four postcode squares.
Print the four numerals of the destination postcode clearly within the squares.
Do not use the squares on hand addressed envelopes for overseas addresses - even if the overseas postal code can fit into the squares.
Print the place name and state or territory abbreviation on the bottom line in capital letters.

obviously my envelopes do not have squares for the post code, but I think it will get there anyway! I suppose it doesn't matter what is on what line :D

ok, wow, that PDF on the website is detailed!!!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
You don't need the squares, as long as the postcode is printed in that general area they will get there with no problems.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Colltee|1315650142|3014301 said:
LOL - are you for real? That's hilarious :lol: Whether the postcode, suburb and state are written on the same line or not is a (scary) case of picking at straws, the OP just wanted a rough/basic idea of the general order in how to address a letter to Oz. It's not supposed to be a competition. I get letters every day addressed to me in both manners. Sorry I can't write anymore on this as I'll probably get kicked off PS. :lol:

So to the OP - yes, you better make sure you put each subject on a separate line or your save the dates might end up in Tonga.

Colltee - to be fair, the OP did request the proper way to address things for Australia - and for the record, what MishB posted is what I always have written since I can remember how to do so, and what I understand to be the 'correct' way - and clearly, from the Aus Post website, is the correct way.
Sure, it is not a life or death matter, nobody is saying it is - so Is there really the need for sarcasm and the rest of it..?

That said, I have grown up in Australia and had 12 years of schooling here, plus tertiary studies..so yes, I also think it is a valid question to ask if you had an Australian education, as I believe the assumption is this is where you would learn to address letters at a young age (hopefully, in the 'correct' manner).

With all of that said, you're correct in a way - it would likely make it here no matter which version the OP used.
But I personally find the proper way to look more neat & formal - the one subject to one line would look scrappy to my eye - which is why it seems appropriate to suggest the official format for something formal like a wedding invitation / save the date.

just my 5 cents worth, seeing as us aussies don't get 2cent pieces anymore :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results