shape
carat
color
clarity

Aussie Wine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
OK all you Aussies. Which of your wines available here in the states are the best bets? Let''s keep it under $15 a bottle.

The other day I was shopping with my son and was having a hard time choosing between vintners. I let my six year-old Jacob choose. He suggested, of course, "Jacob''s Creek" chardonnay. It did well with the poultry, but next time I''m hoping to have more to go on than the kindergartener''s judgement.

R/A

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry might be able to help you out there. What draws you to Australian wine?

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Gary might be able to help you out there. What draws you to Australian wine?
----------------
I already emailed Garry pointing to this thread
1.gif

I found Australian Yellow Tail merlot good and cheap
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No one in Oz would be caught dead drinking JC.

Give me some names of what u have choose from.

most of the better buys are smaller labels that probably do not get exported.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think we should compile a list. I will do so next time I visit Total Wine. They have a large section for Australian Wines.

How about small vineyards in the U.S. My favorite is Greenwood Ridge (Medicino Ridge, CA). They have a Pinot Noir to die for.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/26/2003 2:53:46 PM Cut Nut wrote:

No one in Oz would be caught dead drinking JC.

----------------

I figured as much.
1.gif
Most grocery-store Aussie wine is priced suspiciously inexpensively.

Next time I'm in The Vinyard I'll make a list of what's available. Many labels to choose from I'm sure.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/28/2003 6:51:31 AM Cut Nut wrote:

Some one gave me a supermarket clean skin Cab/Merlot tonight - it cost less than US$5 and tasted like a wine that you would pay >>US$15 for in USA.
----------------

Was "Clean Skin" the name? Visited the Grocery Store - here's what available there. When I go to the wine store, I will pick up a list of what they offer.

The list is from most expensive to least (starting at about $15.00)

Stonehaven
Rosemont Estate (various prices)
Wolf Blass (9.00)
Penfolds
Summerfield
Wyndam Estate
Rothbury Estate and as previously mentioned Yellow tail & Jacobs Creek

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was "Clean Skin" the name? No it is "no name" wine - unranded.
The list is from most expensive to least (starting at about $15.00)

Stonehaven (no experience with this one)
Rosemont Estate (various prices) The cheap stuff is good safe budget wine
Wolf Blass (9.00) Very safe - usually great value for money because it is usually blended from several districts and they have excellent control. Maybe like your Mondarvy or something like that brand?
Penfolds Also a safe bet - probably 10% over priced - they make budget to best (grange hermitage)
Summerfield Never heard of it @#$%&*
Wyndam Estate - From here down - Not highly regarded.
Rothbury Estate and as previously mentioned Yellow tail & Jacobs Creek

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I am a fan of the Rosemont Estates Shiraz, or, and I am sure to be ridiculed for this by Gary, Lindemans Chardonnay.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes Rook, no problem with the Shiraz, but as for the Lindemans:

ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule, ridicule Rook

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I had better, but for $6 a bottle, you can't go wrong. And it is usually quite similar bottle to bottle. Its what I drink by my self, not what I take to a party, or serve for guests.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aha, and we drinks by ourselves does we?

Beware folks - drink Lindemans Chardonay and this could happen to you too. (no freinds)

The reason it is always the same is they actually make it out of recyclyed card board and news paper. The consistancy of raw materials is better.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
A Cut Nut & a Wine Nut - me thinks you are just plain picky
9.gif
9.gif
wink2.gif

Sincere thanks for the reviews - more to come.

For me, Chard should be dry & cheap. Nothing more!

SkyMonkey

Rough_Rock
Can I put a shout in for Brown Brothers as well. Not sure if they export to the States, but as we get limited supplies here in the UK they probably do. Haven't been able to find their Gewurtztramminer (sp?) over here, but had a bottle in Eden on holiday in Oz and it was the best bottle of wine I've ever had. (It's sweet, which I usually hate, and it may have been the company (g/f, now fiancee), weather (violent storm outside a port-side restaurant), and meal (fantastic seafood), but that bottle tasted like heaven). All of their other wines which I've tried back in the UK have been good too. But not that good!
loopy.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/28/2003 6
6.gif
7:16 PM Cut Nut wrote:

Aha, and we drinks by ourselves does we?

Beware folks - drink Lindemans Chardonay and this could happen to you too. (no freinds)

The reason it is always the same is they actually make it out of recyclyed card board and news paper. The consistancy of raw materials is better.
----------------

tongue.gif

You know when I drink alone;
When I prefer to be by myself.

canadianice

Rough_Rock
Cut Nut -

what do you think of Tyrrell's The Long Flat Shiraz as an inexpensive red? Or is that a faux pas in Oz, too?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its OK, but as a rule when the wine maker says the wine comes from one plot of land - I steer clear because it will vary from year to year with weather and diseases etc.
Blends from many districts are better budget buys - the wine makers have more control.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
O.K. ...some more. I only drink red wine.

Purchased Painter's Cove Shiraz/Cab. ($7.00) - less than impressed although a nice "outdoor" wine.

Purchased but have not sampled - Wold Blass Shiraz (70%)/Cab 2001 Red label (10-11.00)

Can purchase: (sticking w/ mostly under $15.00)

Hardy's Nottage Cab/Shiraz - (8.00)

These are Shiraz

Barros Valley Shiraz 99 (12.00)
Black Opal (7.50)
Brookland Verse One 2001 (18.00)
Callahan Hill (10.00)
Lehmann 99 (19.00)
Lennard's Crossing 2001 (8.00)
Mallee Point (no price yet)
McGuigan Bin 2000 (10.00)
McGu9igan Black Label (8.00)
Terra Barossan 2001 (10.00)
Tyrrell's Long Flat (7.00)
" " Old Winer 2000 (10.00)
Wynns Coonawarra (15.00)

These are Cabernets - most blended w/ merlot:

Black Opal Cab-Mer Barossa (15.00)
Brookland Verse One Cab/Mer (18.00)
Phillips Landing Cab (no price yet)
Shorfire Ridge Meritage Cuvee (15.00)
Stonehaven Cabernet Limestone (15.00)
Terra Barossa Cab (10.00)
Tyrrell's Old Winery cab/mer (11.00)

I hope I didn't overload you. I tend to like earthy full bodied wines like a Bourdeux. I am hoping *our* Aussie friends can fill the gap.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have not tried many of those.
The Wynns Coonawarra (15.00) would be a very safe bet.
A Big wine. So big I would put them down for 2-4 years to mellow them up a little.
The opal I have tried is marketing rubbish.
Lehman is of course good.
Mc G's do not overly impress me, but some people like them.
Sounds like you will prefer shiraz F&I.

babblingal

Shiny_Rock
My father owns a liquor store. He has suggested to me, in the past, Black Opal Shiraz.

My dad also is a fan of some of the wines coming out of Chile and Spain recently.

I pick the wine by the label. If the label looks interesting to me, I buy the wine. My father thought is was "rubbish" until I challenged him in a giant liquor mart. We went thru the store and I pointed to the wines I would pick out using my criteria "I like the label". My father was very surprised to find that I had a 90% success rate for picking out very good wine.

10.gif

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/28/2003 3:40:56 PM Rook wrote:

I am a fan of the Rosemont Estates Shiraz, or, and I am sure to be ridiculed for this by Gary, Lindemans Chardonnay.
----------------

I recently tried that Rosemont wine for the first time and LOVED it! Nice smooth wine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results