shape
carat
color
clarity

Attention Nutritionists!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
My son is 16 years old and trying to put on weight for football. He is a lean boy weighing 155 and 5''10". We have tried muscle milk, homemade protein shakes, and the like. Now, I''m not really into football but he is good at what he does and enjoys it. My concern of course is that he is going to get hurt now that he is playing on the varsity team. We have been fortunate that in the past 6 years he has escaped injury. I would rather do this without the powdered stuff and do this with a muscle building food plan. Any helpful meal plans or homemade shake recipes?

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a nutritionist, but I do know that protein is important for building muscle.

You just want to make sure that you''re not feeding him unhealthy, fatty protein (stay away from bacon, sausage, steak, etc.)... shoot more for chicken, fish, turkey, lean pork...

Milk & Eggs & Yogurt at breakfast are good, but getting the protein in after workouts is especially important since his body will need it for recovery... just don''t overdo it- nothing is healthy when overdone.

You may want to search nutrition websites that are specific to sports (I''m not sure of any).

There''s a fine line between increasing calories to "bulk" a person up and making them "fat." Weight lifting is a great way to strengthen muscles and bones and ward off injury. At 16 years old, I would tell him not to go insane in the weight room since he''s still growing, but if he''s got a trained staff person to help him, I''d go for moderate weights and protein!

Sorry I couldn''t help much more... not really my area.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely ditto weightlifting would help, plus frequent meals of high quality lean protein.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Thanks L and A, we are already doing the high protein/low fat meats along with veggies and he is weightlifting 3 times a week. I guess we are doing all we can and should be happy his metabolism is roaring. Some of his teammates look tubby and unhealthy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2008 7:55:35 PM
Author: DIAMOND*QUEST
Thanks L and A, we are already doing the high protein/low fat meats along with veggies and he is weightlifting 3 times a week. I guess we are doing all we can and should be happy his metabolism is roaring. Some of his teammates look tubby and unhealthy.
Most welcome! This may be an idea....do you get Muscle and Fitness mag? It is full of body builder pics, but it does have some great and sound nutritional plans to help you gain lean mass and menu suggestions/ meals etc, check out a copy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results