shape
carat
color
clarity

Attending an LDS wedding reception...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
...And I have no idea what I need to wear! I know that, were it the ceremony, I''d definitely need my shoulders and knees covered, but since it''s not the ceremony I''m unsure of the rules.

It''s taking place in a church reception area in Las Vegas, NV. Should I try to follow the "covered as much as possible" rules, or not worry too much about it?

I don''t know that I own anything "nice" that covers my shoulders! Does this call for a shopping trip?
31.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d play it safe and wear something that covers your shoulders and knees. If you''re really on the fence, wear a sleeveless top and wear a pashmina with it so you can cover yourself to match the other guests if they''re more covered. I''m sure there are some people who are LDS who are more liberal in the clothing choices, but without knowing, I wouldn''t take the chance.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Hudson! The pashmina is a good suggestion, too. I''ll have to go look for a sleeved top
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
or a cute bolero?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 12:40:16 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
or a cute bolero?
Ooooh! The possibilities!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I''m assuming you''re not an LDS member, you won''t be allowed in the temple or whatever for the real ceremony, so it''s just the reception? I''d probably keep it modest but no need to sweat about it, I think. When is it taking place? I''ve been invited to one also, but can''t report back on that till December.
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s this Saturday, and yes only the reception. My skin might burn right off if I tried to walk into an LDS temple
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to a combo Baptist/Mormon wedding reception a few years ago and I wore a spaghetti strap tank dress...no one looked twice at me. I''m not boobalicious, though, so I didn''t have any cleavage at all, which makes a difference, I think.

P.S. I don''t know if it was the Mormon thing or the Baptist thing, but there was no alcohol or dancing at the reception and it was a total snooze fest! I''m not a crazy drinker but I do like to have a drink or two and tear up the dance floor...so maybe bring a good book with you, too!
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 12:33:55 AM
Author: thing2of2

P.S. I don''t know if it was the Mormon thing or the Baptist thing, but there was no alcohol or dancing at the reception and it was a total snooze fest!
It''s either the mormon thing or a combination of the two! I''m prepared for fizzy water and crackers
3.gif
It''s only 2 hours long, though. It''s funny... we''re making the drive to VEGAS for a dry party. Oh, the irony!

But then, you KNOW we''ll be on the strip an hour after playing nice with our mormon pals
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have an LDS friend and she says weddings for them would be just like weddings for anyone else. (at least the part non-LDS attend). So anything you would wear to your BFF wedding/reception is good. I've seen pics of them dressed up and they don't appear to be "overly-clad". She's even had a bit of cleavage in one.

The temple is where the actual "bond" takes place. Non-LDS are not permitted in the temple. And, from what I understand, the LDS wear like a white nightgown that is available in the locker rooms prior to doing any service in the temple. I think this has to take place after the "wedding."

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, somethingshiny. That helps. I had a few mormon friends in HS and they all wore sleeved high-neck dresses for prom--I just don''t want to offend! It''s good to know they don''t necessarily expect it of non-LDS guests.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results