shape
carat
color
clarity

Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
I am working at a summer internship in Atlanta (midtown). I''m living off of Piedmont park.

Any suggestions for fun/off the beaten path things to do!?

Thanks
1.gif

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
What sort of things interest you? How are you set for transportation - do you have a car?

The first thing that comes to mind for off the beaten path if you are in the midtown area is to take public transportation to check out the old Oakland Cemetary - lots of victorian era graves with elaborate monumemts.

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I have a car.
I''m interested in shopping, restaurants, and historical/art type museums!!
Just curious if anyone in the area has any ''can''t-miss'' suggestions

krispi

Shiny_Rock
If you like museums, I would definitely recommend the Louvre exhibit at the High Museum. My BF and I went last year and really enoyed it. The pieces rotate every few months, so we haven''t seen what is currently there, but on the whole the museum is great.

Shopping - Lenox, Phipps, and Perimeter malls are all a given. I''ve also heard that downtown Roswell has lots of cute, off the beaten path kinds of shops.

Restaurants - there really are so many good choices, it''s impossible to name them all. That''s one of the best things about living in Atlanta! Check out City Search or Zagat and hit up the ones that sound best to you. Some of my favorites are Cafe Intermezzo, Apres Diem, Anis, and Fritti.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
let''s see...

you will probably enjoy the bars and restaurants in Virginia Highlands and there are some unique shops and sites in Little Five Points, which is quite close to that area. One restaurant between he two areas is Pura VIda.

Stone Mountain is always needs, especially the laser show at night. Its an Atlanta Tradition. Speaking of traditions, you will have to check out he largest drive in restaurant in the world...the Varsity near Georgia Tech.

If you want to drive for about 1-1.5 hours, you can go to Athens. Its the best college town ever. The campus of UGA is gorgeous and in downtown Athens there are fabulous restaurants and shops.

The Louvre at the High is cool. SO are Martini at the IMAX. Piedmont park always has something going on. The WOrld of Coke, The Aquarium and Centennial Olympic park are nice too. and shopping at Lenox, Phipps and Perimeter or Atlantic Station.

You will find lots to keep you busy! Have fun!!

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
Krispi: thanks for the shopping suggestions, I think I''ve heard of the Lenox mall. Def have to check them out!!

mintve: I LOVE IMAX. I totally forgot there was one down there!!

Thanks guys!

krispi

Shiny_Rock
And since you mentioned you''re near the park, the outdoor area at Park Tavern is great on a Saturday afternoon with good weather. Also, the Mellow Mushroom in the shopping center where 10th dead ends into Monroe has some of the best pizza ever! There''s a movie theater, a couple of good bars, and Apres Diem further back in that same parking lot.

shigidigi

Shiny_Rock
I used to live off of Piedmont Park in the Virginia Highlands area. There is this great little bar/restaurant on Highland Ave called Fontaine''s. It has these gorgeous tin ceilings and on Sundays they do 25cent oysters and $2 bloody marys! So yummy!

They also have really cute boutiques all along Highland Ave, so check them out as well. There is also a great coffee shop that gets hoppin at night called Apres Diem right next to the Highschool there at Piedmont Park.

The park is great because during the summer they will play movies on the lawn and you can bring a chair and some wine and have a great time! The day before I moved away they played "Ferris Bueller''s Day Off" and everyone danced during the parade scene. It was so awesome...

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 11:48:59 AM
Author: krispi
And since you mentioned you''re near the park, the outdoor area at Park Tavern is great on a Saturday afternoon with good weather. Also, the Mellow Mushroom in the shopping center where 10th dead ends into Monroe has some of the best pizza ever! There''s a movie theater, a couple of good bars, and Apres Diem further back in that same parking lot.

mmmmmmmmmmmm, mellow mushroom :)

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
Off the beaten path and kind of interesting is the Swan House. It''s part of the Atlanta History center. The house was built for a woman who really liked swans and wove the swan motif thru the decor. There is a little restaurant in the old coach house where local brides frequently have their bridesmaid lunch.

If you are considering a concert my recommendation is under the stars at Chastain park - a natural amphitheatre in the middle of Chastain Park. There are a variety of concert series - symphony to pop. You can bring in a picnic type supper - some people will really do this in a formal style - others just bring pizza.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 1:25:55 PM
Author: shigidigi
I used to live off of Piedmont Park in the Virginia Highlands area. There is this great little bar/restaurant on Highland Ave called Fontaine''s. It has these gorgeous tin ceilings and on Sundays they do 25cent oysters and $2 bloody marys! So yummy!

They also have really cute boutiques all along Highland Ave, so check them out as well. There is also a great coffee shop that gets hoppin at night called Apres Diem right next to the Highschool there at Piedmont Park.

The park is great because during the summer they will play movies on the lawn and you can bring a chair and some wine and have a great time! The day before I moved away they played ''Ferris Bueller''s Day Off'' and everyone danced during the parade scene. It was so awesome...

FYI...while they are still doing the movies this summer, I believe they will be taking place at Centennial Olympic Park, due to protecting Piedmont from the drought.

I second everyone about the Virginia Highlands...great shopping, great food! Personally, I love Murphy''s and La Tavola Trattoria. The Virginia Highlands Festival is great. Check out Little Five Points, too, its not so far from ViHi.

And an insider''s tip to the Stone Mountain laser show...if you wait a little, they are adding some new segments to the show this year, and it promises to be very funny! Its a great place to go for the fourth, but get there very early because it is amazingly packed with people.

Try Decatur for shopping and food, too. I love Raging Burrito, Noodle, and The Chocolate Bar has AMAZING drinks. Chocolates, too!
18.gif

For a foodie experience, go to the Your Dekalb Farmer''s Market. Its not a farmer''s market like you would normally think of one, but this enormous, eclectic, stuffed with foreign foods and fantastic fruits/veggies. Just don''t go on a Saturday or Sunday, its packed! And take along a sweater, its seriously chilly in there year round.

Oh, and Oakland Cemetary is great...but the tornado that came through town during the SEC Championships ran right through it, so check to see if they are doing tours yet when you go. There was a lot to clean up.

Last but not least...just pick up a Creative Loafing. Its a free paper that you can get practically everywhere, and you can find lots of interesting and fun things to do by paging through it.

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Little 5 Points is an interesting area off the beaten path.

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thanks guys!

Amandine I will definitely check out the farmer''s market, I love finding fun new stuff to eat

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
The Silver Grill, right across from that Mellow Mushroom (next to Grady High School (kind of on the side of the school) - directly across the street from piedmont park) offers a homey-friendly atmosphere with southern home cooking. The banana pudding is to die for. Also, Woodys, which is diagonally across from the Silver Grill, has wonderful hoagies- especially philly cheese steak. There''s a Trader Joe''s right there, too.
The Fox Theater, on Peachtree Street, is a must for an evening show.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Studyer, you lucky gal! I love ATL, have been there a few times for business (my own or DH''s) and I would move to the area in a heartbeat. Have fun, and best of luck to you!
35.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 3:44:12 PM
Author: Amandine

Date: 5/14/2008 1:25:55 PM
Author: shigidigi

The park is great because during the summer they will play movies on the lawn and you can bring a chair and some wine and have a great time! The day before I moved away they played ''Ferris Bueller''s Day Off'' and everyone danced during the parade scene. It was so awesome...

FYI...while they are still doing the movies this summer, I believe they will be taking place at Centennial Olympic Park, due to protecting Piedmont from the drought.

I second everyone about the Virginia Highlands...great shopping, great food! Personally, I love Murphy''s and La Tavola Trattoria. The Virginia Highlands Festival is great. Check out Little Five Points, too, its not so far from ViHi.

And an insider''s tip to the Stone Mountain laser show...if you wait a little, they are adding some new segments to the show this year, and it promises to be very funny! Its a great place to go for the fourth, but get there very early because it is amazingly packed with people.

Try Decatur for shopping and food, too. I love Raging Burrito, Noodle, and The Chocolate Bar has AMAZING drinks. Chocolates, too!
18.gif

For a foodie experience, go to the Your Dekalb Farmer''s Market. Its not a farmer''s market like you would normally think of one, but this enormous, eclectic, stuffed with foreign foods and fantastic fruits/veggies. Just don''t go on a Saturday or Sunday, its packed! And take along a sweater, its seriously chilly in there year round.

Oh, and Oakland Cemetary is great...but the tornado that came through town during the SEC Championships ran right through it, so check to see if they are doing tours yet when you go. There was a lot to clean up.

Last but not least...just pick up a Creative Loafing. Its a free paper that you can get practically everywhere, and you can find lots of interesting and fun things to do by paging through it.
Ooh, I just wanted to second the Chocolate Bar! That place has the most amazing drinks and desserts! BF and I went to Watershed for dinner and then to Chocolate Bar for dessert afterward - it was wonderful.

Creative Loafing is also a good idea - there''s always tons of things going on around town.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Monarch,

Come on , we''d love to have you! I know I''ve never lived anywhere else so I don''t have much to compare it to, but I really do love living here. That''s why I''ve never left - I have too many reasons to stay.

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
Chocolate bar is definitely on my agenda now...thanks guys
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results