shape
carat
color
clarity

At what diamond size should you get gallery bars for support?

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys, I'm going to be honest I do not prefer the look of gallery bars or baskets (not sure if basket is the same thing as added horizontal gallery bars), but on a diamond that is 2.5 carats in size, is it a good idea?

I'm looking at a diamond from whiteflash and they recommended adding them. Do they help greatly in keeping the stone secure? Do they block light/brillance?

Thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t have gallery rails on my ring even though it’s 3 carats. I do have six prongs which I believe protects the diamond. It also would depend on how heavy duty the prongs are in the setting you’re considering..I think four prongs in a light setting would possibly be a problem. The other thing to consider is how high the diamond is set. If you bang your hand around a lot I would at the very least choose a low setting. The higher it is set..the more chance you will risk losing your diamond...
I like to see as much of the diamond as possible..The bars/rails hide a lot of the diamond on the side view.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have gallery rails on my ring even though it’s 3 carats. I do have six prongs which I believe protects the diamond. It also would depend on how heavy duty the prongs are in the setting you’re considering..I think four prongs in a light setting would possibly be a problem. The other thing to consider is how high the diamond is set. If you bang your hand around a lot I would at the very least choose a low setting. The higher it is set..the more chance you will risk losing your diamond...
I like to see as much of the diamond as possible..The bars/rails hide a lot of the diamond on the side view.

Thanks, yeah that was my concern about the rails as well was hiding the diamond, but I want it to be as secure as possible. Does setting it higher or lower affect how bright/sparkley it is?

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, yeah that was my concern about the rails as well was hiding the diamond, but I want it to be as secure as possible. Does setting it higher or lower affect how bright/sparkley it is?

Side rails shouldn't affect the sparkliness or beauty of the stone because you are still getting light in from the sides. Those rails are pretty thin! I also personally like the look. It's like your stone is being presented on a little throne :lol:

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Side rails shouldn't affect the sparkliness or beauty of the stone because you are still getting light in from the sides. Those rails are pretty thin! I also personally like the look. It's like your stone is being presented on a little throne :lol:

True! i guess its just more difficult to clean, maybe

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn’t see a photo of the setting..Where is it?

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I didn’t see a photo of the setting..Where is it?

Sorry, here is a CAD they created of the setting. I may or may not go with pave but I know I want 6 prong and they suggested the guard rails. I dont know if im supposed to ask for height to be lower, or higher, or just let them handle it.

1634776264153.png

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, here is a CAD they created of the setting. I may or may not go with pave but I know I want 6 prong and they suggested the guard rails. I dont know if im supposed to ask for height to be lower, or higher, or just let them handle it.

1634776264153.png

It’s a very pretty setting. I love the simple pave on the shoulders. The bars are thin..so that shouldn’t affect the sparkle at all…but I think the ring is too thin for pave. If you want the pave I would personally go for 2mm at least. I’m not an expert so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give their opinion.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s a very pretty setting. I love the simple pave on the shoulders. The bars are thin..so that shouldn’t affect the sparkle at all…but I think the ring is too thin for pave. If you want the pave I would personally go for 2mm at least. I’m not an expert so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give their opinion.

I agree with this and it also freaks me out how the basket is perched on top of the ring instead of the shank being integrated (I do not know the technical term for this). I realize that would change the design but it just looks vulnerable like that.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I have a 4 prong Legato head that has rails. I think they are very pretty and do not hinder cleaning the diamond.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with this and it also freaks me out how the basket is perched on top of the ring instead of the shank being integrated (I do not know the technical term for this). I realize that would change the design but it just looks vulnerable like that.

I agree..I was afraid to say too many things that made me nervous. That is probably the most vulnerable area.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock

Thanks! It is 2mm I believe on the website. The valoria petite pave. If it's pave or not pave, why 2mm - im curious? Since that part of it doesnt actually touch the diamond

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock

Ugh, I noticed that too. Is that normally a custom change?

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I agree..I was afraid to say too many things that made me nervous. That is probably the most vulnerable area.

Grrrr, I noticed that yesterday as well. I can look for settings that have that area more integrated, but I wonder if it would be a custom change.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Are you open to some suggestions? What are you looking for in a setting?

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Are you open to some suggestions? What are you looking for in a setting?

i am! im looking to not spend too much on the setting because im prioritizing the diamond, so looking for yellow band and platinum 6 prongs. whether i add guard rails (?) is still up in the air, whiteflash suggested it. and from what other people are saying, i should make sure the shank is integrated into the band. not a fan of cathedral look, just simple

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
This setting is beautiful. It’s well loved here on PS. I am almost positive you can have them make the prongs platinum.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
This setting is beautiful. It’s well loved here on PS. I am almost positive you can have them make the prongs platinum.

Thank you! Yes, they can make it with platinum prongs, my concern with the design was how the head/shank (?) sticks on top of the ring rather than being integrated.

Have you heard anything good about this one? https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-3685.htm

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
The head on the setting I linked is intergeated into the shank so I’m not sure what you mean.

Sorry for the confusion. When I asked Whiteflash to make the valoria petite pave with a platinum head and yellow body, they sent me this CAD:

1634841444108.png Interestingly, the head sits right on top and doesnt seem integrated, which is different from the links you sent.

EDIT: its because the CAD im looking at, was the valoria petite PAVE. thats the difference. I may just ditch the pave, it looks less secure.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I prefer the Valoria to the regular 6-prong solitaire. The Valoria is just more fluid and stylish looking, especially the prongs. As for gallery bars, I don't think it is needed for 6 prong head.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF can also get the Stuller crown (or any stuller setting). A lot of Pricescopers have also used this setting. It is on the less expensive
side...I think about $550ish or so. This does stick out at the bottom so a wedding band will not sit flush but set off as you can see
below. There are other nice stuller settings though.

857258 857257

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never mind the stuller crown above...I forgot you don't like cathedral settings...ooops

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Never mind the stuller crown above...I forgot you don't like cathedral settings...ooops

haha yes im looking for a bit simpler. But i really appreciate it!

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the Valoria to the regular 6-prong solitaire. The Valoria is just more fluid and stylish looking, especially the prongs. As for gallery bars, I don't think it is needed for 6 prong head.

thanks, this made me do a closer comparison between the valoria and the normal 6 prong solitaire. im going to ask them for a quote on a yellow body with platinum prongs, for both!

I wonder if they recommended the gallery bars for the pave verison, simply because the head seemed to be teetering on top of the ring rather than soldered/integrated into the band?: 1634847245854.png

dmack

Shiny_Rock
The Valoria has a knife edge shank so I wonder if the addition of pave, which kind of eliminates the knife edge, changes how the shank meets the head? Of the two you linked, I’d gladly spend a little extra to get the Valoria. It’s just got a little more style.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if they recommended the gallery bars for the pave verison, simply because the head seemed to be teetering on top of the ring rather than soldered/integrated into the band?: 1634847245854.png
for me the concern on this setting is where the head meets the shank, more so than whether to have gallery bars or not (I'm not sure you'd need them with 6 prongs). I feel like one good, hard knock and the head could come off.

Inked1634847245854_LI.jpg

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
for me the concern on this setting is where the head meets the shank, more so than whether to have gallery bars or not (I'm not sure you'd need them with 6 prongs). I feel like one good, hard knock and the head could come off.

Inked1634847245854_LI.jpg

Yes exactly, thanks for pointing that out.I didnt notice it initially, but that may have been why they recommended the gallery bars in the first place.. the head is not integrated into the band

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock

I agree with this 10000000%. I have a 3.5-4 carat morganite on a thin pave band, and it just doesn't look right. 2mm at least.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results