shape
carat
color
clarity

At what age are you planning to retire?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my wife is 46 now.(yes, she''s old
9.gif
) told me she''s gonna work until she is 54.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, i like this question!

Ideally, 45. Realistically, 55.

I'm 26 right now, so another 30 years of work is more than enough for me. Since i'm not planning on having any kids, and the house would be paid off by then, my retirement should be plenty enough for me to live comfortably.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 2:47:57 AM
Author: ForteKitty
Ooh, i like this question!

Ideally, 45. Realistically, 55.

I''m 26 right now, so another 30 years of work is more than enough for me. Since i''m not planning on having any kids, and the house would be paid off by then, my retirement should be plenty enough for me to live comfortably.
FK
you''re still a young kitty.
9.gif
you''re a beautiful girl
30.gif
go find yourself a rich man.
31.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 3:09:50 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

31.gif
My mom would strangle you if she read that!!
32.gif

besides, i''m much rather be rich myself, and keep a harem of younger men... they try harder.
17.gif
27.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 3:16:02 AM
Author: ForteKitty

Date: 3/5/2006 3:09:50 AM

31.gif
My mom would strangle you if she read that!!
32.gif

besides, i''m much rather be rich myself, and keep a harem of younger men... they try harder.
17.gif
27.gif
there you go.
36.gif
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Another DF classic, or thing that makes you go "hmmmm..." I love your questions, DF!

I''m 28, my husband is 35, and we haven''t ever even brought up the subject (seriously) of what ages we will retire. I''m thinking he needs to retire at 50 so I can retire at 43! Just kidding!
emotion-5.gif

Honestly, we both have some inheritances we are saving for retirement...we won''t touch them until we are ready, but we have backup plans in place in case of rainy days that will most likely occur before then.

So to answer your question: we would like to plan on retiring in our 50''s. (Meaning he will be 57, and I will be 50, hee hee.)
30.gif
9.gif
36.gif
35.gif

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
I''m hoping to find something within the next 10 years that I like enough such that I never want to retire. I have a lot of hobbies, but I''m not sure I would enjoy any of them if I my performance/productivity was tied to my paycheck.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Good question!! The statutory age of retirement in the UK is 65 and by the time I retire it''s likely to be 70 or 75!!

I think 60 is a good age as hopefully, we''ll still be reasonably active so we can go on lots of holidays. This also allows us to save up for said holidays.

I''m 34 and we don''t have children yet so this may be another reason to work a bit longer in order to pay for schooling etc.

I''d really like to retire at 35, but this is not going to happen!!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If all goes well, I will be retiring at 41 (I am 33 now). My husband is older than me, so he will be 53.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
DF, you do have the most thought provoking questions.......I love them!

Retirement is such a tricky thing. Healthcare is one of the issues that makes me hesitate to come up with an age. There are so many people who retire and then realize that Medicare just doesn''t cover everything relating to their health issues and they return to work for health benefits. It''s hard to really come up with what type of healthcare costs you will be faced with and there lies the problem for me deciding the age where I/we will be able to retire. Ideally I''d like to retire at 60.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I doubt either one of us will ever truly retire. But, all of his partners have an exit strategy. I doubt whether hubby will continue the pace he''s currently at within the next 7 years. He has thought about teaching.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
The retirement age keeps going up as people live longer, healthier lives. Retiring to do nothing is the quickest way to early death for most people. The healthiest are the most active and involved. Most people now retire from one career and start another. There was a guy on the news the other night who is 104 and his son is 77 and they own a business together and didn''t talk about retiring. Retirement has changed and I don''t think will ever be what our grandparents was.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
RETIRE!!

I am never going to retire. If you don''t use it, you lose it. I want to keep an active mind.

I wouldn''t choose to work full-time..but I will always be doing something. The thought of retiring is a very frightening prospect to me.

Blod
35.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I retired last summer at age 50 when we sold our family business and I am loving it!!!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
As soon as possilbe!
11.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I retired at 44, and DH retired at 60. Timing was just right with the tech bubble bursting, and family issues going on. We may do something else in the future if we find something that really strikes us. In the meantime, we keep plenty active with charitable work, golf, travel, exercize, etc. The charitable work keeps my brain working -- I do a lot of things for free now that I used to get paid for.
4.gif

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting topic and one which we''ve recently discussed at home because there is a woman that when I first saw her I thought "oh you poor thing working at the deli counter in Brunos STILL," I don''t want to be her. She''s all hunched over, can barely see, but she''s friendly and efficient, not to mention WORKING still. I''d say she''s in her mid 70''s.
23.gif

Then I thought about the alternatives. She could be rotting away in a "home", lonely and forgotten. But there she is a few days a week at the deli counter slicing meats and cheese. Without knowing why she''s there husband and I have now decided that it''s great that she is being productive and hope we''re able to be the same. I guess you never know where life takes you until you''re there.

Husband is just beginning a new career and plans to give it 25, he''s 38. I hope he does for his sake. As for me he says I can do whatever I want in 10, but I''m doing whatever I want now as it turns out.
17.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we''re hoping around 55 or so rather than any older, guess time will tell!!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
i dont think i ever will be ABLE to retire. Darn student loans probably wont get paid off until Im about 83 1/2.
32.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 10:18:53 AM
Author: Sundial
I retired last summer at age 50 when we sold our family business and I am loving it!!!
good for you!!
36.gif

i think people who say..."i don''t ever want to retire" is full of B.S. i mean who wants to work until the day you die.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 4:21:11 PM

Date: 3/5/2006 10:18:53 AM
Author: Sundial
good for you!!
36.gif

i think people who say...''i don''t ever want to retire'' is full of B.S. i mean who wants to work until the day you die.
DF - see the deal is we have such fundementally different mind sets as usual.
2.gif
So, it''s certainly not BS with us.

I love what I do. Hubby loves the field he works in. We certainly will (with me have already) slow down. I can''t imagine hubby without a pencil, scale & trash roll. I can''t imagine losing interest in what I do. It''s much of who we are. We don''t just have an office and do just a "job". Our career is our hobby. Even if, like Lop, we choose to do it gratis as a full timeish job.

"Antique dealers never retire. They just become one themselves."
2.gif

"Architects never retire. They just change their plans."
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband loves his company and will never retire. He may slow down, but I don''t see him retiring. His Stepfather is the same way. He has an architectural firm and he loves what he does. He is 70, and still going strong.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im never going to retire if im lucky ill keel over dead and my head will rest on the enter key sending the last message out into cyber-space :}

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m still retiring as soon as possible.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 5:33:12 PM
Author: lmurden
I have to say, I love the freedom that retirement brings. I get to choose what I do rather than have to squeeze what I want to do into weekends and a couple of weeks of vacation. I occasionally get to the point where I don''t think I''m doing anything productive, but that usually doesn''t last long. I used to think DH would never be happy retired, as he sort of defined himself around his work. He is probably happier being retired than I am. He has gotten involved in all kinds of things that interest him. Retirement doesn''t have to be sedentary or dull. There is a whole world out there to get involved with.

All that said, if I had a job that I enjoyed, that didn''t take 65+ hours a week, I would work indefinately at it. It''s a matter of getting to do what you enjoy. The money is only one part of it, but unfortunately sometimes has to become the driving part.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 5:56:13 PM
Author: lop

Date: 3/5/2006 5:33:12 PM
Author: lmurden
I have to say, I love the freedom that retirement brings. I get to choose what I do rather than have to squeeze what I want to do into weekends and a couple of weeks of vacation. I occasionally get to the point where I don''t think I''m doing anything productive, but that usually doesn''t last long. I used to think DH would never be happy retired, as he sort of defined himself around his work. He is probably happier being retired than I am. He has gotten involved in all kinds of things that interest him. Retirement doesn''t have to be sedentary or dull. There is a whole world out there to get involved with.

All that said, if I had a job that I enjoyed, that didn''t take 65+ hours a week, I would work indefinately at it. It''s a matter of getting to do what you enjoy. The money is only one part of it, but unfortunately sometimes has to become the driving part.
I hear you. I would really love to work part-time. That would be ideal for me.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 2:45:48 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
my wife is 46 now.(yes, she''s old
9.gif
) told me she''s gonna work until she is 54.
DF you may not live to your retirment, telling a womans age like that
38.gif
She may be spending her retirement years in prison
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results