shape
carat
color
clarity

AT&T to cut off 120% of it''s workforce!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
This just came across the wire...

AT&T TO CUT WORKFORCE 120 PERCENT

NEW YORK, N.Y. — AT&T will reduce its workforce by an unprecedented 120 percent by the end of 2006, believed to be the first time a major corporation has laid off more employees than it actually has.

AT&T stock soared more than 12 points on the news.

The reduction decision, announced Wednesday, came after a year-long internal review of cost-cutting procedures, said AT&T Chairman Ed Whitacre. . The initial report concluded the company would save $1.2 billion by eliminating 20 percent of its 168,000 employees.

From there, said the Chairman, "it didn''t take a genius to figure out that if we cut 40 percent of our workforce, we''d save $2.4 billion, and if we cut 100 percent of our workforce, we''d save $6 billion. But then we thought, why stop there? Let''s cut another 20 percent and save $7 billion.

"We believe in increasing shareholder value, and we believe that by decreasing expenditures, we enhance our competitive cost position and our bottom line," he added.

AT&T plans to achieve the 100 percent internal reduction through layoffs, attrition and early retirement packages. To achieve the 20 percent in external reductions, the company plans to involuntarily downsize 22,000 non-AT&T employees who presently work for other companies.

"We pretty much picked them out of a hat," said the Chairman.

Among firms AT&T has picked as "External Reduction Targets," or ERTs, are Quaker Oats, AMR Corporation, parent of American Airlines, Callaway Golf, and Charles Schwab & Co. AT&T''s plan presents a "win-win" for the company and ERTs, said Whitacre , as any savings by ERTs would be passed on to AT&T, while the ERTs themselves would benefit by the increase in stock price that usually accompanies personnel cutback announcements.

"We''re also hoping that since, over the years, we''ve been really helpful to a lot of companies, they''ll do this for us kind of as a favor," said the Chairman.

Legally, pink slips sent out by AT&T would have no standing at ERTs unless those companies agreed. While executives at ERTs declined to comment, employees at those companies said they were not inclined to cooperate.

"This is ridiculous. I don''t work for AT&T. They can''t fire me," said Kaili Blackburn, a flight attendant with American Airlines.

Reactions like that, replied Whitacre , "are not very sporting."

Inspiration for AT&T''s plan came from previous cutback initiatives, said company officials. In January of 1998, for instance, the company announced it would trim 18,000 jobs over two years. However, just a year later, AT&T said it had already reached its quota. "We were quite surprised at the number of employees willing to leave AT&T in such a hurry, and we decided to build on that," the Chairman said.

Analysts credited the Chairman''s short-term vision, noting that the announcement had the desired effect of immediately increasing AT&T share value. However, the long-term ramifications could be detrimental, said Bear Stearns analyst Beldon McInty.

"It''s a little early to tell, but by eliminating all its employees, AT&T may jeopardize its market position and could, at least theoretically, cease to exist," said McInty.

Whitacre , however, urged patience: "To my knowledge, this hasn''t been done before, so let''s just wait and see what happens."

attworkforce.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I feel so sorry for those who have been layed off.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I don''t get it..120% ? I am economically dumb though..

E B

Ideal_Rock
This sounds like satire.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes.

Hey we thought it was pretty hilarious. Didn''t really help my husband''s situation but it was funny.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
That is too funny. I saw 120% and said either a typo or satire. Read the article thoroughly. Lay off people in other companies? Wow, I didnt'' know that even AT&T had that much power.
20.gif

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
My DH, son and I are literally...

ROTFL with tears of laughter. This is THE FUNNIEST POST I EVER SAW ON PRICESCOPE.

BRAVO AME. Where did you find this?

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
this is fabulous! Thanks Ame
11.gif

(Something D-O-O-Economics!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hysterical! Can''t wait to copy and email to my husband who is out of town on business!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh my...that is something. I will be intreasted to see how many of the AT&T people actually keep their jobs, no news of anymore firings in NJ. I still remember the Lucent/Worldcom/MCI layoffs that all hit at once...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it''s on the Onion but my husband got this from coworkers.
Date: 1/25/2006 1:22:33 AM
Author: Matatora
Oh my...that is something. I will be intreasted to see how many of the AT&T people actually keep their jobs, no news of anymore firings in NJ. I still remember the Lucent/Worldcom/MCI layoffs that all hit at once...

I am curious to see how the firings go with both MCI/Verizon and SBC/ATT because they are going to CLEAN HOUSE and get rid of the people they really have no need for/desire to pay.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Just sent this on to my husband who works at AT&T/SBC and he laughed so hard he cried!!! (Bill he said he wouldn't put it past them if they could find a way to make this strategy work!)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea my favorite part is the flight attendant''s quote about not even working there, they can''t fire me and it being followed up by the ATT guy sayind "well that''s not being a very good sport"

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
That is great!
36.gif
36.gif
My sis works for SBC, and I just sent it to her... I can''t wait to hear her response.
31.gif

OldBride

Rough_Rock
That was soooo funny. Is that from The Onion?

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
This is my favorite quote:

"We were quite surprised at the number of employees willing to leave AT&T in such a hurry, and we decided to build on that," the Chairman said.

What a typical response from an executive
20.gif
duh!

Edited to add: I went to the website and found this note at the bottom of the article:
Note: Right story, wrong company? Since SatireWire first ran this story, in January of 2000, netizens have passed this story around and substituted the names of their (least) favorite companies for AT&T, including Motorola, Ameritech, Honeywell, Delta, and IBM.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results