shape
carat
color
clarity

Asus laptops

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have opinions? When my age old IBM ThinkPad finally gives up the gun I'll be looking for a new IBS compatible laptop. I don't do a lot with my computer (yes, I'm confessing that my presence here is about my extent of use) so I don't need a super performer, but I want quality and value.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have an ASUS laptop/netbook, but I do have their Transformer Pad, and I LOVE it - great quality bit of kit, has been very stable for me to date, and and I am impressed with ASUS's customer attention too (as regards things like firmware updates etc). Their price was fab for what I've got too. I would recommend them :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an 8" Asus EEE PC that I got 3 years ago with Linux operating system. The body was sturdy, the price was nice and low, and my satisfaction with the netbook led to my choosing an Asus flat screen monitor for my parents.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1315078600|3009157 said:
I have an 8" Asus EEE PC that I got 3 years ago with Linux operating system. The body was sturdy, the price was nice and low, and my satisfaction with the netbook led to my choosing an Asus flat screen monitor for my parents.

Wow, I had the same one and it lasted all of 4 months! The hardrive started ticking, a fan died, and the power cord connector (the part inside the laptop) broke. I lost my receipt so I couldn't use the warranty. Good to know that yours lasted that long, I might consider them again in the future. To be honest I was black listing them.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1315078600|3009157 said:

I have an Asus EEE PC netbook as well, and I also really like mine.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1315081417|3009190 said:
Wow, I had the same one and it lasted all of 4 months! The hardrive started ticking, a fan died, and the power cord connector (the part inside the laptop) broke. I lost my receipt so I couldn't use the warranty. Good to know that yours lasted that long, I might consider them again in the future. To be honest I was black listing them.

Oh wow! That's horrible!
My netbook has a solid state drive which is meant to make it more durable. Relying on that, I would have FLIPPED out if it died the way yours did!

A bunch of 10" EEE PCs were also used at my last place of employment. They were supposed to be toted around for people to use during negotiations, but a lot of my co-workers would use it to put their TiVo'd shows and movies on and watched it on their commutes to and from work. haha!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I have a 12" Asus EEE Netbook and I LOVE it. I purchased it in 2009 and so far have had no issues. **knock on wood**

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just bought one this week. We had seriously considered one last year (even brought it home, but the model we had was too big and heavy and I wanted something more portable).

I can honestly say I prefer this one to our samsung. Asus does great with gaming and graphics plus their internet connectivity options and software rock.

Their machines are heavy though. I got this one with the 3 year warranty that includes accidental damage from Best Buy. I wouldn't get anything without a solid warranty these days.

FYI is you buy electronics with Amex they extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1315094510|3009345 said:
chemgirl|1315081417|3009190 said:

Oh wow! That's horrible!
My netbook has a solid state drive which is meant to make it more durable. Relying on that, I would have FLIPPED out if it died the way yours did!

A bunch of 10" EEE PCs were also used at my last place of employment. They were supposed to be toted around for people to use during negotiations, but a lot of my co-workers would use it to put their TiVo'd shows and movies on and watched it on their commutes to and from work. haha!

Hmmm, mine wasn't a solid state drive. Maybe it was the 12 inch and not the 8 inch....a solid state drive wouldn't tick. Well hopefully not. That would be really off.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Asus laptop I've been "borrowing" from my brother for the past six months! I don't do anything with it besides email, internet, and occasional games. It's great. He bought it from a pawn shop (he's all about super bargains!) and lent it to me after I spilled a drink on my 2006 super awesome Dell. It does everything I want it to do, and I have zero complaints.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1315096569|3009362 said:
I have a 12" Asus EEE Netbook and I LOVE it. I purchased it in 2009 and so far have had no issues. **knock on wood**
Ditto. Typing this response on my Asus EEE Netbook, which I love. So, DH got one after me for light home use, but it died, and so it went to DS who resurrected it with a new hard drive. DH is happily using his new iPad now, instead.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I have an Asus desktop and love it! Bought it for just under $400, popped in a few simple upgrades and it's an awesome machine. Asus is known for their reliability (providing you treat your computer right of course :) ) and best of all doesn't usually come with all the preloaded junk that comes on HP, Dell and other brands.

eta: are you set on a laptop? If not, desktops offer more bang for your dollar and can be upgraded through time to meet specific needs.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I actually did a LOT of research before buying my Asus laptop last year. From all of the information I found, they were the least likely to require repairs outside of the warranty period, and had the highest percentage of repeat customers.

And as for my personal experience? It's brilliant. Quiet, quick, not a peep of a problem. When I first got it, there was an issue with the display driver, but one email (and about one hour) later and the issue was resolved. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results