shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscherisme! Question about Tourette''s/Tics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I saw your post about your son doing intensive therapy for his tics. I am wondering how old he is, if he was officially diagnosed (and did he see a neurologist) and what all the therapy involved?

Thanks! (I''m asking b/c my son is having problems that have become progressively worse
7.gif
)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 4:03:18 PM
Author:MC
Hi,

I saw your post about your son doing intensive therapy for his tics. I am wondering how old he is, if he was officially diagnosed (and did he see a neurologist) and what all the therapy involved?

Thanks! (I'm asking b/c my son is having problems that have become progressively worse
7.gif
)
Hi MC, I just saw this. Yes, he was officially diagnosed. He was having a stage a few years ago where he was getting worse and worse. But as he gets older, symptoms are getting milder (but with flare ups during times of stress). The therapy was not focused on tourettes, and started out with him going to a social skills group for his aspergers syndrome. He hated group and eventually we ended up with him going to private therapy. He had anger issues and trouble coping and not fitting in because of the aspergers. The intense therapy I referred to was more for aspergers (which often comes with a host of side issues like OCD, anxiety, and tourettes is very common with aspergers) to help him feel like he fit in and deal with his anger and anxiety. Reducing ticks was a good side effect. But because the ticks got worse with stress and discomfort, therapy helped him with those things and ticks sometimes lessoned as a result. However, even when he is relaxing, reading a book, playing wii, etc he still ticks mildly. I see it because I know they are there. I don't think others would notice if they were not looking for them. But as his mom, I notice everything! They are movement ticks. Jerking neck etc.

As the ticks became more evident, a few years ago we sought out our pediatrician advice who sent us to a neurologist who diagnosed him with tourettes.

The ticks do drive me crazy sometimes because as I said, they come and go, but they are just sort of there. Even when its very mild, its still there. Just part of him. However, (my opinion and just my own opinion) was that the medication could have worse side effects than just living with the ticks. My ex husband agreed with me and our pediatrician supported our decision as well. (the medication came from the neuroloigist. I had actually filled the prescirption and never gave it to my son and eventually threw it out).

The neurologist did not offer any hope other than medication and was rather unpleasant and clinical about the whole thing.

Our pediatrician told me ticks are VERY common in boys and I have seen ticks in 2 of his friends (never of course saying anything to they boys, my son, or their moms). One boy, his best friend has an intense blinking tick. The other clears his throat constantly. My son does that sometimes too.

I'm not saying he will never need medication, but we are just taking it as it comes.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I was reading up on medications and discovered anti-psychotics are often used. . .for sure won't be putting my son on those. I've noticed symptoms in a few other kids but maybe because I'm around my son more, it seems like his are more severe. Since he's been out of school for five days now, it seems like he's not having as many movements and my husband and I are wondering if it's the stress of school that's working him up. The school is offering honors classes for 3rd and up and I had considered having my son take the test for reading, but decided not it's probably not good to add to his class load.

One thing that is odd is that my son keeps making an excited sound and my younger son has begun making it as well. He's NEVER done that before. In fact, they're totally opposite re: sounds and body movements so I have no idea what is up other than the sound coming out of both of them is bugging the crap out of me! Ugh! lol

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Anti-pychotics have really scary side effects if you read up on them. In my opinion, worse than what they are treating in some cases. My son was old enough to discuss with and he did not want to take them and I was thankful that he could be part of the discussion. Not just the side effects but worrying about what it would do to his growing brain and possible change to his brain chemistry.

regarding your son''s ticks easing, it does not surprise me that they have eased a bit when he is out of school. Thats a good think :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results