shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Assistance, Please! And maybe OEC help, too...

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok. I want an asscher REAL bad. Been fixated on them for years now and finally looking to purchase. Would love a Royal or Octavia, but both are out of budget so I'm looking for a generic w/ similar attributes. Put GOG on the case but they don't seem to have any currently or any access as I've been told.

(1) 1.02 H VS2 5.56 x 5.54

No aset, just photos and cert. This looks like a different stone in almost each photo. I love it in the 3/4 pics, not so much in 1/2.

1.02%20H%20VS2.jpg
1.02%20H%20VS2%205.56x5.54.jpg

(2) 1.01 G VS1 5.49 x 5.42

Photo, aset, cert:
1.01%20G%20VS1%205.49x5.42.jpg
1.01%20G%20VS1%20aset.jpg
1.01%20G%20VS1%20Cert.jpg

But wait, there's more!

I love asschers, but I love some size too, and I find myself obsessing over OEC's. Hard to get much info beyond the cert and if it's in a ring as some I've viewed, well, it seems there is NO info usually. How does this one look? 58.3 Depth 56 Table. It's a K, I know warm colors are supposed to be nice in OEC's, but I am nervous about the K. Some J/K and beyond look great in photos I see online, some look pretty yellow, beyond warm.

Is this stone facing 100% forward, I can't tell if it's on a slight angle?

OEC_0.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would inquire with Adam at OWD about the OEC he's very honest in his opinions of the stones and has never steered me wrong. I once owned a 2.73 carat K SI1 antique cushion and it was a lovely creamy color. However, that being said, cushions show more color than other cuts.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm, I feel like you have been dreaming of an asscher- will you be disappointed to pass on one just for the size??

to answer your question- I think the OEC stone is slightly tilted in the photo.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it's tilted. And ditto to RoL, Adam should be able to evaluate it honestly for you. It could be lovely, it could be a bit shallow and not quite optimally sparkly, it's right about on that edge.

Who graded it, EGL USA? It's probably got some visible color face up, if so. A GIA graded K is kind of on the edge of the range that most people start seeing a stone as a bit off white. (It is annoying that EGL is pretty much the *only* kind of cert you can hope for for an antique cut.) This stone might be close to K, or a bit lower- it looks fine in the pic in terms of color, at least, but obviously it's really tough to judge color from a single pic. A good K should be a bit creamy but not blatantly yellow face up by any means.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1311961560|2979895 said:
hmm, I feel like you have been dreaming of an asscher- will you be disappointed to pass on one just for the size??

to answer your question- I think the OEC stone is slightly tilted in the photo.

Hi, the thing is, I am GREEDY :twisted: . I want both, and I do LOVE the pattern on a nice OEC, so much so that if I had to do it again, I would have gotten one instead of my current RB for my ering, but the size is a bonus, for certain. It would be about 7.3 while my RB is 6.5. Is that enough to matter?

So, I was thinking, perhaps get the OEC now, before diamond prices increase again, and the asscher maybe next year? I am undecided still. Currently the OEC is 70% higher than the range of asschers I'm looking at (w/ asschers increasing the budget to that of the cost of the OEC doesn't get me enough add'l stone to make the cost worthwhile), so I wonder if it might be best to get the more expensive stone now...

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
AmeliaG|1311962110|2979901 said:
oneam|1311958496|2979832 said:
Put GOG on the case but they don't seem to have any currently or any access as I've been told.

That's odd. :confused: GOG's website lists 2 generic Asschers for sale at about the one carat range. Did you ask them about these Asschers?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4169/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3693/

Hi, yes, I saw those. They are pretty but they don't make me swoon like some asschers can.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LGK|1311962202|2979906 said:
Yeah, it's tilted. And ditto to RoL, Adam should be able to evaluate it honestly for you. It could be lovely, it could be a bit shallow and not quite optimally sparkly, it's right about on that edge.

Who graded it, EGL USA? It's probably got some visible color face up, if so. A GIA graded K is kind of on the edge of the range that most people start seeing a stone as a bit off white. (It is annoying that EGL is pretty much the *only* kind of cert you can hope for for an antique cut.) This stone might be close to K, or a bit lower- it looks fine in the pic in terms of color, at least, but obviously it's really tough to judge color from a single pic. A good K should be a bit creamy but not blatantly yellow face up by any means.

Hi, yes, EGL USA. I did email them to see if they had a front facing photo, but haven't heard back. I suppose I could ask for his personal opinion on the stone and color. Anything else I should ask for?

Thanks!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd call and talk to him. I'd also ask him if they have any other similar stones that you should consider as well, and if so, have him compare them for you. His inventory online is, typically, not actually everything they have onhand, so it's worth asking.

Also ask about if there are any chips or bearding to the girdle, and if there are any particularly thin parts of the girdle that could be a durability problem. If it's, like, an SI1 or under I'd ask about eye cleanliness too.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LGK|1311973522|2980079 said:
I'd call and talk to him. I'd also ask him if they have any other similar stones that you should consider as well, and if so, have him compare them for you. His inventory online is, typically, not actually everything they have onhand, so it's worth asking.

Also ask about if there are any chips or bearding to the girdle, and if there are any particularly thin parts of the girdle that could be a durability problem. If it's, like, an SI1 or under I'd ask about eye cleanliness too.

thanks, I'll do that!

I'd love some thoughts on the look of the asschers and OEC if anyone cares to comment.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm... I think pulling the trigger on any stone that isn't exactly what you want is a mistake. They are both fancy's so finding the 'right one' is going to take some time on either front. I appreciate both asschers and OECs (and own both) and I think that you should buy which ever it is you find the 'right' stone of. If you want both, keep poking around (I'd call ERD and find out if they can help you with the Asscher or Perry Chen at Leon Mege) and whichever you find that is JUST RIGHT for you, is the one you should purchase.

I have an F asscher and a J/K OEC. My OEC was recut by Brian Gavin so that it has ideal light performance. The sucker is amazing in it's performance and it is, in it's own way, just as mesmerizing as my asscher.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1311982136|2980168 said:
Hmm... I think pulling the trigger on any stone that isn't exactly what you want is a mistake. They are both fancy's so finding the 'right one' is going to take some time on either front. I appreciate both asschers and OECs (and own both) and I think that you should buy which ever it is you find the 'right' stone of. If you want both, keep poking around (I'd call ERD and find out if they can help you with the Asscher or Perry Chen at Leon Mege) and whichever you find that is JUST RIGHT for you, is the one you should purchase.

I have an F asscher and a J/K OEC. My OEC was recut by Brian Gavin so that it has ideal light performance. The sucker is amazing in it's performance and it is, in it's own way, just as mesmerizing as my asscher.

Thanks so much, Gypsy, I agree, I am not getting anything I don't absolutely LOVE. Just looking for some expert opinions on the stones that have caught my eye at this point.

Anyone that can help w/ that? Karl? Please? Are the photos too small?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OEC is titled or the culet and facets are off center. I'm thinking the photo is the issue with this one though. Get another pic.

Asscher... I am pretty okay with judging them (not storm, but who is?) but this one is kinda making me scratch my head. I like the shape and the size of the windmills. But there is either something going on with the pics and the ASET or the center of the stone. Bigger pics would help, but the ASET is large and is reflecting the 'wonky' of the center that I see in the pics. I'm thinking center of the stone is not perfect that the facets don't align very well. BUT the diamond is 5.5 square so I'm really not sure you would even notice it in real life, when set to allow nice amount of light into the stone.

I almost want to say... buy the asscher and see it in person. It's got potential. And see what you think of it in real life from all angles and in all light.

If not, send it back.

BUT...It IS deeper than I like. Which could be GREAT for the facetting. Or it could have been to retain the carat weight above a carat. But I can tell you the spread is underwelming. But... given how hard it can be to find a nice asscher, you may have to sacrifice some spread for everything else.

ALSO, it's got a bigger table than I like by well, quite a bit. Can you get a Sarin and get the crown height. We generally say anything above 10% or 11% but I personally have noticed that the asschers that are the most "alive" and traffic stopping have a crown height over 14%. The large table COULD make it very glassy in person, or even flat if the crown height doesn't compensate.

As for the OEC. What is your budget for an OEC if you don't mind my asking. And have you considered a minor 'rehab' on a OEC. Mine was recut just a bit and repolished by BGD for ideal light return and it is a serious show stopper. I know others have gotten theirs rehabbed (Singlestone also offers this service). I have NO CLUE whether the stone you are considering A) needs this or B) is a good candidate. But I did want to put the bug in your ear as with a very little money (couple hundred at most but based on your carat weight) you can REALLY get the most out of an OEC that needs just a little TLC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results