shape
carat
color
clarity

Asking parents - yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
So I have decided that I will ask my GF's parents for their blessing some time during the next week when we visit them. The proposal is not going to happen before April but I really want to talk to them in person. I know that there are conflicting views - but hopefully they will keep quiet! Just need to find a moment with them alone - maybe send the GF out to get some wood for the fireplace or something like that, LOL. I am really looking forward to it!
Cheers,
Rob

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
How exciting, Rob! I''m sure you''ll find the right moment to ask them. I''m sure you''ll find a perfect diversion. Perhaps you could send an email or phone call and just mention you''d like a couple of minutes to chat just with them while you''re there. That way maybe the parents would send her on an errand or something withoug her knowing you are sitting down to talk with them. Best of luck! :)

lespaulplayer

Rough_Rock
Good luck Rob! For me, I asked her father the day I was going to propose to her (last Thursday, she said yes) because I didn''t want him to have to keep a secret for a long time. I was nervous as anything but everything went well. I should have not been worried because I had been dating my fiance for almost 6 years (I''m 22 now) and had a really great relationship with her family. I had even gone over there for dinner by myself without my girlfriend many times along with other activities with just her father and I. Too bad you can''t do it within the next few days because you could do what I did, while my girlfriend was there I said that I needed to speak to her father about a Christmas gift for her and I didn''t want her to hear about it. This got me alone with him and that''s when I asked him. He gave me a handshake and said welcome to the family. The rest is history.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys - I will let you know how it went!
R.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Quick update - did inform the parents and they were very happy about it - wished it would happen earlier than April!
They did promise to keep the secret ... hope they will keep their word!
Cheers,
Rob

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
Sounds great, Rob! Thanks for the update and best wishes for a quick and enjoyable 4 months :)
Keep us posted!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
GOOD LUCK AND GOOD IDEA... it is always bragging rights for the dad to have someone ask his PERMISSION. Like you need it.. it is a mere formality but one that shows, respect and honour. Definately somehting valued and seen as a good man who was brought up well. Then your folks will be all like... yeah, we raised a proper son! it is amusing... but delightful at the same time... and it is something sooo small and simple.

My dad is a gossip. So after my then boyfriend asked my dad for permission or whatever- my dad like started telling people! It never got around to me- before the ?? was popped... but still when I go around telling everyone... they knew it was coming. Really angered my now hubby. It was something he didnt think he''d have to say... I would really like this to be a surprise for everyone- so mum''s the word... and my dad was like... well he didnt tell me NOT to tell anyone!

Then there is my best friend. Her boyfriend asked for her dad''s permission AT my WEDDING- DURING THE RECEPTION... OMG BAD FORM. BIG TIME, what a DOUCHE! (sorry, but this is way not cool on many levels!) So instead of having a nice intimate gathering- he does it during dinner... during the wedding party dance (yes she was in my party) Her dad gets drunk... then tells EVERYONE! Someone misunderstands and goes to my friend and says, congratulations! and she is like waht! and she ends up finding out that he asked permission during dinner at my wedding. Now she is mad at him because he didnt make her moment special, and totally barged in during MY special moment... AND SHE FOUND OUT! So when she left for Florida with him the following WEDS she knew he was going to propose then. Just awkward all together.

Sorry to ramble but...
1) you might want to think of a clever way to have asked him NOT spill the beans. (And april is a few months away!)
2) location location location
3) TIMING

Good luck!
36.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS... I am a bit slow!
35.gif

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2009 11:42:23 AM
Author: tlh
GOOD LUCK AND GOOD IDEA... it is always bragging rights for the dad to have someone ask his PERMISSION. Like you need it.. it is a mere formality but one that shows, respect and honour.

Thanks!!! I did ask for their blessing ... not permission ... lol. But they did appreciate it - took the dad a day to digest it and show his appreciation when we were riding in his pick-up truck ... how manly!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results