shape
carat
color
clarity

Asking for comments on this round diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Anyone running Gem Advisor or similar program would also be helpful. HCA gives it a poor score (4.2), but it is AGS 0 in all but pavilion.

1.5 carat
color F
clarity VS2
Polish/Symm VG/VG
Depth 62.5%
Table 56.1%
Crown 35.5 deg
Pavilion 41.6 deg
Cutlet .8%
Girdle 1.7%

These are AGS grades + Sarin.

Any specific thoughts? Obviously the measurements are good but how "great" are they? I am looking for the perfect sparkle/fire/etc. This is a deep discount compared to AGS triple ideal, I think... is it worth it or should I pay extra for the H&A or AGS triple 0?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/17/2002 8:40:57 AM

Anyone running Gem Advisor or similar program would also be helpful. HCA gives it a poor score (4.2), but it is AGS 0 in all but pavilion.

1.5 carat
color F
clarity VS2
Polish/Symm VG/VG
Depth 62.5%
Table 56.1%
Crown 35.5 deg
Pavilion 41.6 deg
Cutlet .8%
Girdle 1.7%

These are AGS grades + Sarin.

Any specific thoughts? Obviously the measurements are good but how "great" are they? I am looking for the perfect sparkle/fire/etc. This is a deep discount compared to AGS triple ideal, I think... is it worth it or should I pay extra for the H&A or AGS triple 0?

----------------

Golfer,

This is the case of very steep/deep cut and AGS1 grade. This stone was cut to get into 1.5 carat range. The diamond has quite a bit of extra weight you are going to pay for.

According to Diamond Calculator the diameter of the stone should be about 7.35 mm. Is it close?

1.45 carat well cut stone will have the same diameter, look better and cost less.

page.

.[/u][/u]

golfer

Shiny_Rock
----------------

Golfer,

This is the case of very steep/deep cut and AGS1 grade. This stone was cut to get into 1.5 carat range. The diamond has quite a bit of extra weight you are going to pay for.

According to Diamond Calculator the diameter of the stone should be about 7.35 mm. Is it close?

1.45 carat well cut stone will have the same diameter, look better and cost less.

page.

----------------

1. Measurements are 7.34 x 7.31 on report, not sure which is diameter.

2. I don't mind paying the for extra weight, but will it noticeably and negatively affect the sparkle/light/brilliance/fire/etc?

3. The GemAdviser example page doesn't help, because the graph does not extend to this crown or pavilion, so far as I could tell.

4. Bottom line: if the price was right (10.5k or less), would you recommend this stone to someone looking for maximum sparkle -- or (to put it another way) would you recommend it for your daughter/wife/etc.?

[/u][/u]

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry Golfer. I didn't mean to disappoint you or knock it out.

----------------
1. Measurements are 7.34 x 7.31 on report, not sure which is diameter.
----------------

I (DiamCalc) was close :)

----------------
2. I don't mind paying the for extra weight, but will it noticeably and negatively affect the sparkle/light/brilliance/fire/etc?
----------------

Everybody have different eyes. You should compare ideal cut stone with this one to figure out whether YOU see a difference.

----------------
3. The GemAdviser example page doesn't help, because the graph does not extend to this crown or pavilion, so far as I could tell.
----------------

Yes because this one should have worse light performance than the one in the lower right corner of the table. However you are right asking whether you’ll see a difference. It is up to particular observer to decide.

----------------
4. Bottom line: if the price was right (10.5k or less), would you recommend this stone to someone looking for maximum sparkle -- or (to put it another way) would you recommend it for your daughter/wife/etc.?
----------------

Price is in line with similar 1.5 carat diamonds.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
A followup to my own question (and this is what is driving me nuts). The other diamond I am considering is:

Depth 59.6
Table 57.1
Crown 30.0 deg
Pav 41.1 deg
culet .6%
girdle 1.7%

AGS says stay away -- the Crown is too low (rates AGS 7). But HCA scores are very high -- 0.9, all excellents and one very good.

But the other stone in my first post is all AGS 0 plus 1 AGS 1, and it gets HCA 4.2.

What the hell (pardon my French) should I do?

Ditch both of them and keep looking? They are both a good price.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Look at both real stones side by side and chose the one you like the most. Nobody else (including GemAdviser could tell you which one is prettier. :)

What are the carat size, price and measurements for the second one?

Cut Nut would prefer the second one because it should be much brighter and less light leakage than #1. Besides it should look larger for the same carat weight.

If you have GemAdviser, there should be close example: "T57 C30.0 P41.0.gem".

Compare it with "T57 C35.0 P41.5.gem" (35.5 deg crown is even worse).

Open these files in separate windows simultaneously and run the animations for "office" type of lightening. Run cut evaluation for both and compare light return results.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/17/2002 10:20:56 AM

What the hell (pardon my French) should I do?

Ditch both of them and keep looking? They are both a good price.

----------------

Have you considered going with a G/H color? Once set you should see little difference - & a large price break.

IMHO, I would not pay 10.5K for the first stone. As for the second, obviously the HCA score is better. If you went w/ that stone, I would send it to an independent appraiser.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results