shape
carat
color
clarity

Asking for blessing...need a diversion!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DGFitz

Rough_Rock
Ok, so no matter which option I choose (see my poll), I need to ask the parents for their blessing during the Thanksgiving holiday or the day after. The only problem is getting them alone without her knowing. I''m not worried about their reaction because it will be a resounding YES, but I am worried about her finding out. How do I pull this off? Any diversions that have worked in the past? Do I involve her siblings or other relatives? Do I fake sickness?

I should mention that I know she prefers that I ask for her parents'' blessings and that we both live about 1,500 miles away from her parents so there''s not really a chance to do this in person before the holiday.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Why not ask her siblings if they could get her out of the house for a bit? OR offer to help FMIL in the kitchen, tell her you need to speak to both parents without being obvious, and have her ask hubby for additional help. Mother can insist that he''s all she needs, (make up an excuse like I can''t carry the turkey and FSIL has so many plates already) or something, and speak with them quickly and quietly?

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Is your GF a shopper? And does she have sisters? If both of these are yes, I suggest you call her sister (or sisters) and clue them into your plan a couple of days before Thanksgiving (call them from work, on your commute, whatever) and have THEM suggest going shopping with her the Friday after Thanksgiving.

That Friday is a zoo in most areas as that is when the bulk of the Christmas specials are. The chances of her being gone for a few hours is great and she will have NO clue because it was a sibling that called to invite her. You could take the opportunity to take her parents to breakfast or help them make breakfast.

That is just my .02 cents...but you really have to trust that her sisters won't say anything to her. You have to stress how important it is for them to hold out for two days...or 3 days!

Also, if she has brothers maybe they could suggest something (like shopping for a SO or something)...Men might keep your secret longer, too!
2.gif

ottie

Rough_Rock
Ask when she''s in the shower. If she''s anything like most women, that should give you about a 30 minute window!
23.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d just pull mom aside and tell her that you''d love to talk to her and her hubby in private sometime during the weekend. Then ask for HER help creating the diversion, that way it won''t be obviously coming from you. Have mom ask her to run to the store to grab milk or something like that.

And GOOD LUCK!

DGFitz

Rough_Rock
Ended up that I didn''t need a diversion at all!!! She took a nap and we had "the talk" while she was sleeping upstairs. It went perfectly well - they''re very excited. Tomorrow''s the big day!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results