shape
carat
color
clarity

asha diamond vs. moissanite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

huneydo

Rough_Rock
i saw a moissanite "diamond" for the first time last week and fell in love with it. after doing some online research i found asha diamonds. does anyone know which is better......color (nearly colorless)? durable? the asha diamond seems like a better stone, but it it is so costly. who has the best buy for asha diamonds? they aren't available on ebay. moissanite is on ebay, but now i don't think i even want it. the stone was absolutely beautiful in the store, but after seeing the asha online, i think it may be nicer. and anyway, the moissanite ring is $1500 (for a 2 carat stone set in a 6 prong tiffany style setting).

any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!

huneydo :confused:

max495

Rough_Rock
i personally like moissanite but im also a guy and i dont wear "big diamonds". moissanite tends to get a green hue when stones are larger than .50 carrot. although asha is more brilliant its not as durable, it has a 9.00 on the Mohs hardness scale were moissanite is 9.25. and it is a newer stone that has not been out long enuff to know if it has flaws. asha is mainly sold on betterthandiamond.com, i am sure this is were you heard of it. ofcourse this site will spike up asha and totally dog moissanite. but until we know more aboat asha its up to you.

if you hear more about it let me know.
10.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I love my moissanite set. It's the bomb!
My only regret: Waited THIS long to get some.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't worry too much about a 9 vs. 9.25 on the Moh's. Remember, people wear Sapphire/Ruby everyday as a ring gem and it's an 8. Just off of the top of my head, a few things I might want to know if I were going to buy:

1. how does it respond to heat? does it discolour?
2. what are the fracture characteristics?
3. does it discolour long-term under UV?

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought about another alternative?
I don't own either, but I have seen them in person. Other than the moissanite having a green hue to it, it was hard to tell the difference between the two.

I have also seen one of Gin's stones. LOVELY~!
lickout.gif

http://www.bellisima-gem.com/

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The Asha is a brand of CZ, which is treated with some kind of coating that's supposed to make it look more like a diamond. I've never seen one in person, so I don't know if it really does. As far as I know, the only way to get it is to buy it from the manufacturer.

Many people have nice things to say about Moissonite. Other people complain about the color. Again, I've never seen it in person (that I know of), so I can't comment.

The hardness of a stone does matter when you're trying to duplicate the look of a diamond. It doesn't matter as much for colored stones, since the depth of the color masks tiny scratches, but a clear stone can start to look cloudy when it gets scratched. You know how the water glasses at a diner look when they've been through the dishwasher a million times--no longer sharp and clear? It's like that.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think that the Asha is one of the biggest rip-offs...it's a freakin cz....Sure, it might last a little longer than a regular ol cd... wink;s interlaps are 50 bucks, and the asha is 750....so what if the asha lasts a few months longer...even a year longer? So what, get a new interlap...get a whole bunch of them for that matter! As for the mois, I hear it is green...but who knows...I think an interlap is the best bet!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, guys. This forum is about diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results