shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET v Idealscope for Round Brilliant? Which is more useful?

aptp

Rough_Rock
I am looking into a few RB diamonds at physical retail stores that don't provide ASET/Idealscope images. (I know that lots of great PS vendors provide these images for free, but I am also considering major jewelers like Tiffany's- I am aware of the very high markup- but am not looking to discuss this right now) I am planning to buy an ASET/Idealscope to get more information about the various stones I am considering.

1) Between the idealscope and ASET, which do you think is more helpful for a round brilliant? I've read that ASET was made for fancy shapes, but it seems to provide more information than the idealscope, although it is harder to interpret.

2) I am considering buying a package of items consisting of an ASET Scope, Ideal Scope, Ideal Light, 10X Gem Loupe, calibration CZ and Tweezer. (link here: http://ideal-scope.com/product/professional-kit/) Do you think this is overkill, or will each of these items be helpful? Cost is not a big issue but I don't want to get anything unnecessary

Thanks for all your help.

slm9555

Rough_Rock
Re: ASET v Idealscope for Round Brilliant? Which is more use

I'm not sure but the ideal scope is definetly helpful. However,if the stones aren't loose then I think it will be very difficult to get a good image.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

We sell more Ideal-scopes because they are easier to use and interpret. But if you understand ASET images there are the subtle green Vees around the outer edges of a round that indicate if a diamond is painted or dug out.
So it depends more on you and your ability to interpret than the instrument itself :)

aptp

Rough_Rock

Would it be useful to get both an ASET and Idealscope? Will the Idealscope provide any additional information? Or is just the ASET sufficient?

I am new to interpreting ASET/idealscope images but am eager to learn. I have looked at the reference charts but still find it hard to compare good cut ASET images. Does anyone have useful links/reference guides?

Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

aptp|1478746786|4096154 said:
Would it be useful to get both an ASET and Idealscope? Will the Idealscope provide any additional information? Or is just the ASET sufficient?

I am new to interpreting ASET/idealscope images but am eager to learn. I have looked at the reference charts but still find it hard to compare good cut ASET images. Does anyone have useful links/reference guides?

Thanks.
If you get an ASET you will not learn anything more with an Ideal-scope.
This article will help you decide https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what-aset-reveals-ideal-scope-does-not

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results