shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET images- Please help!

Melz1

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I just received 2 ASET images for 2 different diamonds that I'm interested in. I don't know much about ASET images yet so I would really appreciate some advice on these. The James Allen rep said that the JA gemologist looked at both diamonds, but found diamond #1 to be better in light performance. This is confusing to me because I see more red in diamond #2. I've attached both images. Please help! Thanks in advance for any opinons/advice. :)

1280199aset[1].jpg

1298954aset[1].jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 appears to be more symmetrical. I dunno, it's a tossup kinda but I am not loving either one. There is a lot of contrast (the blue) on the top one which will reflect back whatever its pointing at but it also seems to have more leakage around the perimeter which may make it look smaller. It's hard to say - I don't think the photos are perfectly lined up - or the stones are both pretty wonky.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are a...ok...can you give us links to the stone? Would like to see there real pictures. Maybe we can point some
others out?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you could ask JA to make some recomendations as to which ones they think are the pretties and would have the
best light return.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
If your not in love with either of these two stones, I think I would keep looking. I think that you could find something that will perform better. I agree maybe JA could assist you!

Melz1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions. I am waiting on a couple more ASET images for other diamonds and if they don't work out I'm definitely going to speak to someone from JA who may be able to assist us. I am also thinking of contacting Good Old Gold since they hand pick their diamonds based on light performance. I like how their website already has the ASET images displayed.

Melz1

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to note that the JA representative gave me the following details about diamond #1:

We've taken the liberty of having one of our graduate gemologists inspect these diamonds and I'm happy to say that they found diamond 1280199 to have very nice light performance. It is the brightest diamond of your selections and faces icy white.

As expected, diamond 1298954 faces the largest of the bunch but isn't as bright as diamond 1280199.

Diamond 1280199 was the gemologist's favorite due to its superior light performance and whiter color performance. This diamond will look beautiful mounted in any setting and give you a fantastic sparkle that I know you'll fall in love with.

What do you think? With such a disappointing ASET image, I'm not sure if this can be true. All of the green areas really worry me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not so much the green that bothers me its the light blue areas...I think that is showing leakage. Ask JA.
You can have the stone sent to you for viewing or have it sent to an appraiser before you have it mounted.

Here are some other cushion asets you can look at for compairson. I'm not trying to point out anything one way
or the other just giving you something to compare with.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut-loose-diamond-2160877.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut-loose-diamond-2168229.htm

GOG has a lot of asets posted for cushions also that you can look at. I dont believe in general you'll
find "perfect" light return on too many cushions its just a matter of finding one that has minimal
light loss.

Why dont you have the first one sent to you and see what you think? It will cost you a little bit but may
be worth piece of mind.

From GOG's website...

- Maximizing red is good
-Some blue is necessary
-Too much green is undesirable
-Either black or white (in this case light blue) is leakage and should be minimized.

BTW - what is your price range? We can look to see whats out there.

Melz1

Rough_Rock
Okay, I just received an ASET image for another diamond.

Opinions? I think it looks like the best of the bunch so far, but I'm still a little weary of the green areas. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    75.1 KB · Views: 366

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think this one looks like it has less leakage. Can you give us a link to the stone so we can take a look.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not exactly sure what it is ...just cant put my finger on it but I do like this one better than the other 2. I think I like the faceting pattern in the center of this stone better.

You can have it sent to you before it is mounted if you are not sure or have it sent to an appraiser (independent).

Melz1

Rough_Rock
I agree. I think we're gonna go with the 2nd one. It seems to have more red than the other one too. Thanks again for your help! :twirl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1310069682|2964076 said:
Not exactly sure what it is ...just cant put my finger on it but I do like this one better than the other 2. I think I like the faceting pattern in the center of this stone better.

You can have it sent to you before it is mounted if you are not sure or have it sent to an appraiser (independent).

I agree and I'm not quite sure why either, I guess it would be this or the 2nd in the first set that you posted, but if I had to choose without looking I think it would be the most recent post. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results