shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET images in, help needed

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I had a few stones from JA put on hold and received the ASET images today. I just wanted some input on these two stones and see if anything stands out to the experts and if I should keep looking?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1330615.asp
1330615aset.jpg

Here is what the gemologist from JA had to say about it.

I'm happy to say that they determined diamond 1330615 is the whitest and brightest of your selections

Diamond 1330615 has a beautiful sparkle and will be your best option. It will look gorgeous in any setting and I believe you and your wife-to-be will be estatic when you see the diamond in person.

This fits in my budget with the setting I have picked and actually comes in a little under budget which is nice.

Here is another stone from them I received an ASET from.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1229734.asp
1229734aset.jpg

Diamond 1229734 is also slighty grey under its table and has the weakest light performance of the bunch.

Thank you all in advance! :))

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
The second one is showing leakage and is going to impact the stones performance, and you definitely want to stay away with any stone showing grey under the table. I really like the first one. Nice job and Congrats! Have you chosen a setting yet?

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Thank you! :bigsmile:

I'm going with a tiffany style 4 prong setting for her in platinum. She's really into the traditional look. I'm so excited to pop the question, I'll most definitely share the proposal story and pics when I get it!

lbling

Rough_Rock
The first one! Those colours are outstanding! I can't wait to see the ring and hear the proposal story! Good luck!

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
So the 1st is good to go? I can't stop smiling. I'm so ready to do this!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you can go terribly wrong with either! One weighs more but they spread very similarly - the heavier one wouldn't *look* bigger than the other. But I agree, the first, for a number of reasons -

-It's JA's gemologist's pick, and he/she has the stones in-hand and so is in the best position to tell you about them
-More recent report from GIA - no worries about needing appraisal of the loose stone to ensure that the older report indicates the current condition of the stone after setting and wearing in the interim
-I like the smaller table, too, and less leaky areas under the table ::)
-No vthin girdle to worry about

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1309408310|2958775 said:
I don't think you can go terribly wrong with either! One weighs more but they spread very similarly - the heavier one wouldn't *look* bigger than the other. But I agree, the first, for a number of reasons -

-It's JA's gemologist's pick, and he/she has the stones in-hand and so is in the best position to tell you about them
-More recent report from GIA - no worries about needing appraisal of the loose stone to ensure that the older report indicates the current condition of the stone after setting and wearing in the interim
-I like the smaller table, too, and less leaky areas under the table ::)
-No vthin girdle to worry about

I totally agree. I just want to make sure this thing is going to have lots of fire when she gets it and for it to be perfect for her.

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1309411015|2958807 said:
I'd get a comparo ASET going on this one http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1244861.asp. Sorry, I didn't really see an colorless stones I thought were that great.

I'll see if I can get one of those tomorrow for that stone. :wavey:

Yssie|1309411372|2958810 said:
Here's one from another PS vendor - brighter under the table as Julie observes, and more generous upgrade/buyback/trade-in policies for the brand, but higher pricepoint -
1.13 G VS2 $8300 http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2287345.htm

I'm not concerned about upgrading, buying back or trading in as this will be the stone she'll have forever. :) I have no problem going with Whiteflash, just want the best diamond I can get for my wife to be. :bigsmile: With that, how much better of a stone is the one you posted than the 1st one I posted?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jbauer24|1309413228|2958818 said:
JulieN|1309411015|2958807 said:
I'd get a comparo ASET going on this one http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1244861.asp. Sorry, I didn't really see an colorless stones I thought were that great.

I'll see if I can get one of those tomorrow for that stone. :wavey:

Yssie|1309411372|2958810 said:
Here's one from another PS vendor - brighter under the table as Julie observes, and more generous upgrade/buyback/trade-in policies for the brand, but higher pricepoint -
1.13 G VS2 $8300 http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2287345.htm

I'm not concerned about upgrading, buying back or trading in as this will be the stone she'll have forever. :) I have no problem going with Whiteflash, just want the best diamond I can get for my wife to be. :bigsmile: With that, how much better of a stone is the one you posted than the 1st one I posted?

Hard to say - I'd guess you'd see the differences if you're inspecting for them, esp. in diffuse lighting - my guess is that it'll be visibly brighter under the table corners.

But at casual glance, or when someone is admiring the ring, or in spotlighting - I wouldn't imagine anyone would note anything! Certainly noone would have anything to find fault with w/ the 1.17 E.

It's the difference between super and super duper, I guess - super duper is - well, super duper, but there is an attached premium. Whether or not it's worth it to you is something only you can answer! All should show similar *types* of light return IRL - lots of quick, fast twinkles - it's not like you're comparing between a 2chevron and a 4chevron, w/ very different types of light return (2ch = fewer facets = larger facets for the same size stone = fewer larger flashes of light, potential for more coloured light return, 4ch = more facets = smaller facets for the same size = tons of smaller, faster sparks and twinkles, one isn't better than the other - just different, up to what you prefer)

ETA: 1.09 G VVS1 Crafted by Infinity (2chevron) $9.3k http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=112

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Of the ones you posted from JA, the first one is the better choice, and it's certainly better than probably 95% of princess cuts out there. You could just stop right there and have a really beautiful stone. I'm a bit of a princess cut perfectionist, though, and I say there's a bit too much leakage around the corners of the table for my tastes. Based on the photo, I have a sneaking feeling that the 1.01 E/VS2 from JA will have the same problem (it's a common issue with princesses). I think the 1.23 G/VS1 from JA is certainly worth getting an ASET on, and trust me...the barely-there body color of a G won't be a problem at all unless you're extremely color-sensitive. I think I'm about average when it comes to color vision, and I can't tell a G from an E. The WF stone has more information available including the AGS report, but there's a slight premium for both the AGS grading and the ACA brand. I have an ACA princess, so I obviously thought it was worth the extra cost to guarantee top-notch cutting and take my own guesswork out of the equation, but it's up to you.

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Thank you yssie, that answered a lot for me :)

Jstar,
I could definitely go with a G. Thank you for breaking down the diamond and the 95% comparison definitely helps clarify in terms I can understand. The main thing I'm really shooting for here is something I know will be stunning and shine amazing so she's always so proud and happy with her diamond. I never want for her to want for anymore. I know she would be happy with anything but I want the very best brilliance I can get for her. If there is going to be a very noticeable difference with a diamond or if this one looks as if it could shine quite a bit better, I'd want to get something else. I think by what you two have said I could definitely be proud of this diamond :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think you have a great stone now. JA #1 Could you find a better performing diamond out there? Probably, but I think that will always be the case, in my opinion unless you have the JA stone side by side with another 'better' stone, you will never ever see the difference. Thats not to say that the JA stone isn't going to have nice light performance, becuase I believe that it will. I think that the people here were just trying to give you another option. Believe me, if you had a dog of a stone, we would be knocking ourselves out trying to get you to change gears. If it were me, I'd pulled the plug on #2 and purchase the first stone. The numbers are good, the image is good, JA has seen the stone and approves and it appears that you feel really good about it. Congrats and rmember pics! :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'd go with either the first James Allen stone, or get an ASET for the other JA princess that Julie found for you, the G color. Good luck!! If you aren't planning on upgrading ever, I don't think the premium for BDG/Whiteflash is worth it to be honest.

Sparkly1982

Rough_Rock
I'm new to this site and I'm just learning about the ASET images but it looks amazing! Did she say yes? :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results