shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET for criss cut - Lotsa of Blue?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
My order finally arrived! No matter how low/high I move the ASET scope, the ASET image looks more or less the same.

Is having so much blue a good thing or bad?

photo_2021-02-15_22-58-40.jpg

photo_2021-02-15_22-57-06 (2).jpg
photo_2021-02-15_22-57-06 (5).jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can we see some photos or a video? Does it look nice and bright in person? Or does it go overly dark when viewed directly face on?

My princecut has lots of blue and red in the ASET but is really bright, and the blue areas give nice contrast and movement, highlighting the distinctive pattern. It makes we wonder if ASET patterns for these scissor cuts need to be interpreted slightly differently than other fancy shapes, eg expect a lot of blue and it doesnt necessarily mean the stone will be dark.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Can we see some photos or a video? Does it look nice and bright in person? Or does it go overly dark when viewed directly face on?

good idea! i will try to take some and post again. :)

My princecut has lots of blue and red in the ASET but is really bright, and the blue areas give nice contrast and movement, highlighting the distinctive pattern. It makes we wonder if ASET patterns for these scissor cuts need to be interpreted slightly differently than other fancy shapes, eg expect a lot of blue and it doesnt necessarily mean the stone will be dark.k
That is a good observation!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
How does it look to you? I'd love to see a photo and stats.
FWIW I've read that ASETs fancy shapes can't be judged as reliably as RBs.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Woaaawwww it’s so beautiful!!!!!!!!! Really!!!
Hope the prongs matter got sorted because that stone is so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That looks beautiful! :kiss2: I bet its incredibly bright and flashy when its in motion.

I know from your other thread that you had concerns about the workmanship with the ring itself, but how do you feel about your new sparkly now that you have it set and can see it on your hand? If it "speaks" to you and pleases your eyes then you have a winner.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock

@Ibrakeforpossums the stats as promised.

GIA_2195339853.jpg

@Daisys and Diamonds, that is very kind of you. I got up in the wee morning hours to take the photos, before I rush out of my house for work. These are my favorite snapshots so far. =)2

@munchee, thank you! The diamond is set too high up and the side profile is not very well done. However, I do think the prongs are very delicate and pretty (I did inform b2c that they did a great jobs on the prongs!). I am now working with my local jeweler to see how best to fix it. :mrgreen2:

@diamondhoarder, Thank you for your inspiring posts, videos and photos! I love your Criss Cut diamond ring so much that I spent endless hours searching for one too!

Although it has a different kind of sparkle and brilliance, my colleagues took note of this diamond the very first day I wore it to office! And an interesting observation.... is that they didn't even notice my James Allen True Hearts ...:lol-2:...even though I have been wearing it for months!

I love it for it uniqueness...it certainly shimmers under the bright sunlight....however, it does show a fair bit of strips of black n certain angles (refer to the video)...but still nice vibe overall. I am definitely keeping this.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
La2020, holy balls did you pick a winner! It's gorgeous and if you didn't want it, I would try to buy it from you. Sometimes the real thing is just way better than the ASET indicates. Fabulous ring in all, love the prongs.
Did this come from B2C? If so, may I ask who you dealt with there? I like those guys.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@La2020 its certainly eyecatcher, most people is wearing MRB so maybe it doesn’t leave strong impression? While this criss cut is so beautiful in its own, and I love how the prong looks its barely there so I can see the shape of the diamond clearly without any obstruction in its truest shape.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its gorgeous. I know you are having issues with the setting quality, but the overall look is really amazing

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
La2020, holy balls did you pick a winner! It's gorgeous and if you didn't want it, I would try to buy it from you. Sometimes the real thing is just way better than the ASET indicates. Fabulous ring in all, love the prongs.
Did this come from B2C? If so, may I ask who you dealt with there? I like those guys.

Thanks @Ibrakeforpossums.. I have talked to mostly Simon.. Followed by Anthony. Maybe the aset for fancy shaped diamonds should be interpreted differently? Actually.. I have tried to get a crisscut from James Allen before this.. But its aset is very poor.. Lotsa of white and little red.. So I gave it a miss.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'm crazy about Simon, he talks about kids and motorcycles, all sorts of thing.
I used to deal with Alex, who I miss so much I've left his message on.my VM. My 1.07 K EC is named Alex because he nudged me toward this stone. I hope he's doing really well where ever he is.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Ibrakeforpossums. Maybe the aset for fancy shaped diamonds should be interpreted differently?
Yes aset's for each cut are interpreted differently.
This one is typical of well cut offerings of this type.
They look like piles of long ice crystals static but come to life under movement.
Its not a look everyone will love but some will.

Personally I am not a huge fan of this cut in diamond.
It was designed for colored stones and stolen and a brand slapped on it for diamond material in my opinion.
It came to age in the take a design from the 1950s gemstone cutters slap a "in diamond" to the description and get a bogus patent era.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K thanks for sharing where this cut originates from.

Just curious...Is there any reason why the cut was originally designed for colored stones? Is it because this cut will bring out the color in colored stone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K thanks for sharing where this cut originates from.

Just curious...Is there any reason why the cut was originally designed for colored stones? Is it because this cut will bring out the color in colored stone?
Emerald cut in some low ri gemstones can be kinda blah.
Have nice color but little play of light.
The scissor cut was designed to have more life in low RI material than the emerald cut.

edit: off the top of my head I am thinking it was first designed for Tourmaline because a lot of the rough is suitable for long rectangular cuts.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Interesting background from Karl. Look up Kosnar Gem Co. in Colorado to see how they cut colored gems to bring up light performance.
That said, I think your ring is drop-dead gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results